HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Footbrake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with Drag radial pressure

Just put on a set of 275/60 Hoosier drag radials, which are on a 9" rim. I've been having trouble finding a good starting point for the air pressure. Started with 18lbs. (which everyone says is right) and heating the tires in the pits and looking at the tire pattern they just left the pattern of the outside edges. I wonder if under a normal burnout they would heat up and flatten out and leave a full tread pattern. Been going up from there. Not having much sucess. 60's are very inconsistent.

My car is 3900 lbs. with me if that helps. I do a 1-2 gear burnout, when I see smoke I Let off the line-lock and power to the line. The 60's go anywhere from 1.74-1.77 which affect my e.t. a lot. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Footbrake; 06-30-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: mistake
Footbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Mark Markow

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Help with Drag radial pressure

18 to 22 lbs. is the norm. as far as the pattern thats common for radials . thats why many run the 10" rims. try putting a shoe polish stripe accross the tread. then make a run and see how much is gone. somtimes it looks as if the sides are not making contact, but they will on the launch. good luck . and p.s. if you have double adj. rear shocks try running them looser on the ext. and firmer on the compression .
Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Footbrake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll try the shoe polish trick and go back down to 20lbs. . I have been at 23-24lbs. I run the Competition Engineering 3-way adjustable shocks. Well in my case at 18lbs. the sides were putting down a black mark but not the middle of the tire, that's why I went up from there. Thanks
Footbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Mile High

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I run the same tire on my Falcon and footbrake also. Air pressure is relative to your car ( its weight and how it's distributed front to back). I use the same tire on my 3100 lb. Falcon with a 15x8 wheel and 16 lbs of air is where it's happy. Took some testing to find the happy place. Last three passes on well used tires 1.424, 1.422, 1.420. Are you staging in the same place every time? Got to be real careful when staging to get in the lights the same place all the time. Great tire doesn't need much burnout. Clean them off and go. Should get 200 passes or more out of them.

Jeff