HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
ericsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me Get This Thing To Hook Again!

1969 CAMARO
406 SBC
BRACKET CAR 1/8TH MILE
400 TURBO W/ TRANSBRAKE
4.11 GEAR
4800-5000 8 INCH CONVERTER
28X9-15 SLICK
KONI SPA1 FRONTS
RANCHO 9000 REARS
SLIDE A LINKS
AFCO LEAFS
-3* PINION ANGLE

NOW YOU HAVE THE SPECS HERE IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED, LAST YEAR I GOT THIS CAR HOOKING LIKE A DREAM BY PUTTING IN SOME OLD USED TRICK SPRINGS, CHEAPY CE 3 WAY AJUSTABLE ALL THE WAY AROUND AND THE SLIDE A LINKS WITH THE NEW LEAF SPRINGS, TAKE IT OUT THIS YEAR AND THE CAR IS A MESS, I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING IT ALL YEAR LONG AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, EVERYTHING HAS BEEN REPLACED, NEW FRONT SHOCKS (2 PAIR) NEW REARS (2 PAIR) NEW 213 RATE FRONT SPRINGS. I KNOW I WENT OVER BOARD BUT I DID CHANGE EVERYTHING ONE AT A TIME. I TRIED 2 DIFFERENT SETS OF NEW SHOCKS, WASNT IT, TRIED 2 DIFFERENT SETS OF REARS, DIDNT WORK, PUT NEW SPRINGS IN FRONT, NO GOOD, THE CAR WORKS GOOD ON A NEAR PERFECT RACE TRACK, BUT WHEN ITS NOT NEAR PERFECT CONDITIONS THE CAR GOES AWAY, LAST YEAR I WAS THE CAR THAT WORKED NO MATTER THE CONDITIONS AND NOW IT DONT WORK UNLESS ITS PERFECT CONDITION. PLEASE HELP!! NOW IT FEELS LIKE IT INITIALLY WANTS TO HOOK AND THEN SPINS A LITTLE THEN GOES, IT USED TO PICK THE WHEELS UP ABOUT A GOOD 6-8 INCHES NOW IT MIGHT GO UP AN INCH OR TWO. WHAT HAS HAPPEND?? MICKEY THOMPSON SUPPLIES ME WITH TIRES SO I HAVE HAD 4 DIFFERENT SETS OF SLICKS ON THE CAR ITS NOT TIRES! HELP ME PLEASE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, ALSO I KNOW PINION ANGLE PLAYS A BIG ROLE BUT I ALREADY HAVE TWO 2* WEDGES IN THE BACK OF THE CAR AND IT STILL ONLY HAS -3 IS THIS ENOUGH? IF NOT HOW DO I GET MORE? ALSO ONE OTHER THING, IN THE REAR LEAF SPRING SHACKLE I HAVE NOTICED THE THE SPRING EYE OD IS ACTUALLY RESTING AGAINST THE REAR FRAME, IS THIS A PROBLEM????????? PLEASE ADVISE. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
ericsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Wink Re: Please Help Me Get This Thing To Hook Again!

Did you use same tires? Did you "tune up" the motor in any way?
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Arnold Greene

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Please Help Me Get This Thing To Hook Again!

Eric, if your rear spring eye o.d. is against the frame rail, it will not allow the spring to work. Either your car is sitting too low, the springs are too long, or your shackles are too short. Are the shackles leaning forward or to the rear? Are they stock or aftermarket? Also, the slide-a-link works better with near '0' pinion angle. Three degrees would work if you had slapper bars. Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
ericsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The shackles were stock they were also leaning toward the back of the car, I put some adjustable shackles on it now I have at least 2 inches from the spring eye to the frame, I also put a set of 10 inch wheels with 28x10.5 stiffs on it hopefully this will fix it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
rx dealer

Liked 53 Times in 13 Posts

how old are your slicks??? 2 years or older?? 40-60 runs?? many weekend racers run the slicks until they are worn to nothing,,,do you rotate your slicks after every run ??? what is your 60 foot times??...good luck...luke
rx dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
ericsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

read first post closely! Mickey Thompson supplies me with tires, currently tires are 2 weeks old with probably 30 passes on them, didnt matter when they were brand new still didnt hook!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
40Coupe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You want to fix the problem. AFCO p/n: 1870 DA's for the rear.
40Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsz View Post
IN THE REAR LEAF SPRING SHACKLE I HAVE NOTICED THE THE SPRING EYE OD IS ACTUALLY RESTING AGAINST THE REAR FRAME, IS THIS A PROBLEM????????? PLEASE ADVISE. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Whoa, did the springs sag a bunch over the winter? Do you have traction now that you put some space between the rear spring eye and the frame?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
ericsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dont know yet it felt a lot better and my father in law watched me launch it out on the back road on front of the house and said the it actually had some body separation again. I think it'll be better!