HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #31
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Re: 75 Nova U/SA

Mikey, Here's what I'd do out in the back yard.
Get a few of the these and cut the first 8- 10 inches out of each tube..one at a time.
Slip a piece of these of the appropriate size into what you've got there.
You don't have to be a welding pro because the smaller tube is going the right way, if you follow me.
You might be able to slip the tube into the 1 and 5/8 stub on the flange. Mig weld or braze it on the outside of the flange. De -burr and roll the inside edge ,and you got it.
Doubt if it will hurt anything..Might tell you a thing or two.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mild-S...Inch,1734.html

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 02-10-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #32
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

Good idea Mark, I got some old Hedmans laying in the corner I was going to cut up and modify on the collector end, might as well do the other end and try for s step header effect. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #33
bob3240

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

been following your project Mike. Great first time outing. keep us posted. Bob Michael
bob3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #34
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Hey Mike thanks for the thread. This is what I believe Stock Eliminator is all about. You did not throw $ at the project with people doing all your work. Your work is extremely clean and functional and obviously works! My 65 Impala project is going the same way, I was able to get my parts Cheap because I sold my 68 Impala to a guy who restored it to stock. After that I have to work smart. Big thing is I trust my welding enough to do everything myself. You also have great help with Joe Huestis, just make sure he doesn't get behind the wheel, we still have no idea what that 14" shoe can do!

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala stocker in progress.
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #35
joe huestis

Liked 371 Times in 103 Posts
Smile Re: 75 Nova U/SA

[QUOTE=impstocker;461637]Hey Mike thanks for the thread. This is what I believe Stock Eliminator is all about. You did not throw $ at the project with people doing all your work. Your work is extremely clean and functional and obviously works! My 65 Impala project is going the same way, I was able to get my parts Cheap because I sold my 68 Impala to a guy who restored it to stock. After that I have to work smart. Big thing is I trust my welding enough to do everything myself. You also have great help with Joe Huestis, just make sure he doesn't get behind the wheel, we still have no idea what that 14" shoe can do!

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala stocker in progress.[/QUOTE

Sorry Will, already got behind the wheel last Sunday. Pissed off Mike caused I ran a lower ET than him. So he gets in and runs .05 better the very next run ! By the way they're a size 15 ! LOL !

Last edited by joe huestis; 02-12-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Misspelling
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #36
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Mike...love your build.

For some 1.5" headers, take a look at the Flowtech #11108's. Thery're a 'shorty' but not a block hugger style. They are long enough to get past the crossmember and with a few pieces of tubing could be lengthened. I'd try them first out of the box with a nice long collector extension.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/1...rentProductId=
Old 02-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #37
Ron Middleton

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Schoenfeld has a pretty good looking set.Either 1-5/8 or 1-5/8 to 1-3/4" step and reasonably priced. Quality much better than the Flowtechs too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sch-165a

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sch-165va
#4892 J/SA. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
- Aristotle
Ron Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #38
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Hey Joe, Clem was always right about that, you do have an advantage with more surface area in contact with the gas pedal! I think Pat H. has a complete 283, with a 2 Barrel I would fit into U/SA with the 65. Anyway great job with, truly an inspiration. I have only run a Street Hooker Headers with my BBC , My thing will be to modify those at least to equal length and maybe a step collector, but that's down the line.

Willie Lamprecht
i/SA 65 Imp in progress.
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #39
joe huestis

Liked 371 Times in 103 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 75 Nova U/SA

I believe the secret to unlocking a better ET out of this car is really basically in the converter and rear gear. Last year while talking to Lenny C. he had talked about rpm drop between gear changes and what the converter played in this. I've heard folks say rpm should not drop more than 500 between gear changes ?? While making a pass the Nova sounds like this drops significantly between second and high gear. Best results so far have been shifting about 5500. Does the 10% rule still apply for trap rpm ? Should the car run through the lights over 6 grand and some ? Still need to check the flash rpm for the converter too. What flash rpm would you recommend ?
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #40
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post
Mike...love your build.

For some 1.5" headers, take a look at the Flowtech #11108's. Thery're a 'shorty' but not a block hugger style. They are long enough to get past the crossmember and with a few pieces of tubing could be lengthened. I'd try them first out of the box with a nice long collector extension.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/1...rentProductId=
I was trying to find a used set of these just to try, and was thinking the same about the collector - nice long one just for a test. I found this interesting article while looking for 1.5 tube headers.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148...ermediate.html

Ron,
I looked at the Schoenfeld but the tube/collector dim's are the same as my hookers. They do have a 1.5- 1 5/8 and 3 collector step headers but they only fit 1973 - 1988 Chevy Malibu, Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix, Olds Cutlass, Buick Regal , and Camaro 70 - 81.

Hedman has a step header (68274) for a Nova like the Schoenfeld above, but it seems it is unavailable. I sent them and email to find out what the deal is.

Also looking a cutting the hookers up at the end and putting on an OBX merge collector, they are available on ebay $69 each.

Last edited by MikeMoller; 02-13-2015 at 12:17 PM.
MikeMoller is offline   Reply With Quote