HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts
Default Ford EEC IV computer

This is a long way from Stock or Super Stock but I couldn't figure anywhere else to put this. I searched for EEC IV but found nothing. Looking for anyone that would be so kind and can answer some questions about the EEC IV computer. I was quite fond of the W/SA Ranger of Gerald Nivens so I bought a truck to fix as a driver and take a slow ride at the local 1/8 mile strip with no worry of breakage. The truck WAS a 1991 Ranger 2.3 five speed. I pulled the engine and went through it. I put in a small camshaft. The factory roller was 187@.050 with .360 lift, the replacement was 193@.050 with 407 lift. I was told by the cam grinder the computer could be affected by large duration changes affecting vacuum but couldn't read lift and this one had no issues with EFI. The fuel pump, Fuel pressure regulator, and injectors are new. I lucky and found a C-4 pinto bellhousing and put in a C-4 with a shift kit and a 10" converter from a 2000cc Ranger that will stall 1800-1900. The issue is some times the truck runs great (but still won't spin the tires on gravel lol) and on occasion it it will act like it is starving for fuel or maybe flooding. Sometimes when this happens matting the gas solved the issue telling me it is not a fuel starvation issue and the next time it doesn't. When driving on the interstate you can feel surging with inclines and declines (this also was with the stock cam and the auto). I assumed this was vacuum changes affecting the fuel pressure regulator and put on another with no improvement I just replaced the fuel filter that had one oil change on it and checked the contents of the old one no water or rust. I am ignorant to EFI and fuel injection but considered one of the rebuilt injectors might be sticking open on occasion?? My questions are:

1. Does this early of an ECM know or care that there is a auto and not a manual trans in the truck now?

2. Do the manual 2.3 and the auto 2.3 ECM's have different timing and fuel curves?

3. Could my ECM be going bad?

4. How much cam timing, compression and fuel can you add to the stock EEC IV and it still function normal?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated, Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Dave Gantz

Liked 219 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: Ford EEC IV computer

Try some of these? https://www.bing.com/search?q=eec%20...logo=CT3210127

Or maybe https://forums.corral.net/forums/
Mustangs, but who knows?
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Kirk Morgan

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

How much manifold vacuum do you have? They will not run on low vacuum. Yes the programming is very different between the autos and automatics.The IAC will not compensate for the load when put in gear. The range sensor on the trans is what tells the computer to compensate for the load.

Kirk, 210-887-3331 if you want to talk.
Kirk Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

If it still has one, unplug the EGR valve and make sure its closed.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Typically, stick cars have a much different spark advance curve. They normally have less spark advance at lower RPM, than the automatic cars, with the same engine. That is to prevent detonation/spark knock at low RPM, if in higher gears. Automatic cars have more timing where you would take off from a dead stop, because the torque converter slips enough below stall RPM, they can put more timing in them down there for good throttle response.
If you have the vin number for an automatic car with the same engine, and an auto, you might get a local Ford dealer Technition to flash it with the automatic vin & Calibration.
If you can find a guy like me, but that tunes Fords, that would be best. He could also shut off the EGR, Cat Cool-down mode, raise the rev limiter, Top Speed limiter, and alter the timing & WOT fueling for racing fuel, and turn the cooling fans on sooner.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Makinchips

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

215-257-3724. Leave a message for Bill.
This guy can help, just not sure he would burn a chip without having the vehicle in front of him.
Makinchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

If it’s Speed Density from the factory you cannot run a cam with a lot of duration- it drives them crazy- unless your under WOT. Speed Density is vacuum sensitive. You would need to either switch to
Mass Air or get a chip burned- Or go aftermarket EFI.
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
If it’s Speed Density from the factory you cannot run a cam with a lot of duration- it drives them crazy- unless your under WOT. Speed Density is vacuum sensitive. You would need to either switch to
Mass Air or get a chip burned- Or go aftermarket EFI.
Do the Ford computers not have V.E. tables?
And, unless the Mass Air Flow sensor is small enough to restrict air flow, they are not a bad deal. If you understand them, they can certainly make the car more consistent and easier to dial.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-24-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Ditch the OEM and put in a Pimp from Stinger.
https://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html

It is MegaSquirt based, replaces the OEM computer using the OEM connector with some minor re-pinning, and will do anything you can imagine. EXCELLENT support by Stinger. I just put one in my 85.5 SVO (turbo 2.3) and it was almost trivial. It will also autotune the fuel maps if you have a wideband O2 sensor. Stinger will supply a base map to get it running, autotune with some manual adjustments after that.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill harris View Post
ditch the oem and put in a pimp from stinger.
https://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html

it is megasquirt based, replaces the oem computer using the oem connector with some minor re-pinning, and will do anything you can imagine. Excellent support by stinger. I just put one in my 85.5 svo (turbo 2.3) and it was almost trivial. It will also autotune the fuel maps if you have a wideband o2 sensor. Stinger will supply a base map to get it running, autotune with some manual adjustments after that.
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote