HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #31
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts
Talking Re: If an advocate could be found - what would you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
Well it is time to take my 70+ years of degenerating
skills and load up my low $$ no talent Racecars
for Phoenix and Tucson Races
John. With your dangerously degenerated skill set are you sure that is safe?
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #32
vic guilmino

Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: If an advocate could be found - what would you say?

lets go back to good old days
NO s/g,s/c,s/street,t/s, t/d, all have to run a class a/gas ??????
pro stock at div.
run class first then, elim. ( class winners only)
all run off national records
yet good old days
Old 02-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #33
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

Hey 1320racer

It is unfortunate that you never experienced what drag racing was in the 'old days' before you were even born. Those were good days, and us old guys loved it. The sport and NHRA have changed, we continue to race even though NHRA no longer appreciates us except for the money we bring. You apparently enjoy your category and the way thing are, so why would you criticize anyone wanting to improve things? If some of us who want change can get together and maybe effect it, why criticize? I just don't get it. BTW-FYI-This section is for Stock, Super Stock discussions.

Last edited by MikeMoller; 02-15-2019 at 11:33 PM.
MikeMoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #34
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo DiTocco View Post
1320 / Ed
I'll take a shot at answering some of your questions..... (based on my experience, although I believe if someone wanted to take the time to do it, finding verifiable data wouldn't be that difficult) ..........

I hope that helps put things in perspective. I didn't intend to be so long winded. We truly are all in this together.
Best of luck to you this season
Ang
A most outstanding, well-spoken, professional and classy response, (especially for a NewYorker: Disclosure, that's an entirely friendly jab there from a guy who grew up just outside Newark/Jersey City, NJ, so I think I can get away with that...) I remember watching you race in the 90's,but have never met you in person. I hope to be able to do so some day, and have a few glasses of wine together. Thank you for bringing this death spiral of a post back to level flight.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #35
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

The best-laid plans of mice and men can be ........ disrupted by a person so confident in his ignorance that he makes something so simple seem convoluted and ugly.

My intent for this thread was to ask for responsible feedback from the racers but clearly that cannot happen when one person is intent on blowing it up.

I have not raced for two years because I got into something wet in VA. and crashed my car. The year before that my racing was cut short because of work and health issues. I should have my new car out by the end of this year. But have never surrendered my membership or competition number. I think most people who visit this site might remember some of this story. Obviously one guy was pulling lint out of his navel at that time and missed it.

I personally think the biggest problem that the Sportsman racer is confronted with is the obvious effort by nhra to remove us from racing at National events. 20 years ago we could compete at the Gators with 600 cars on the grounds. And somehow the race was a success, barring bad weather. Now because the Pros need so much room and the TV schedule limitations they have scaled the race back by over 200 cars. Yet, nhra still has time for a cackle-fest and other forms of entertainment when we should be on the track racing.

It's easy to write a suck-up post to Lucas Oil and tell them what a fine job they are doing for us because it is obvious and true. Lucas Oil has saved our behinds out of the kindness of the Lucas family. They are the best. But we also have to be honest with them and say that nhra is taking their money while kicking the Sportsman racers off the grounds through the use of these draconian quotas. Lucas deserves better. It's investment is diminished when Sportsman racers figure out that it will take 7 or 8 grade points to get in a national event and there is no way they can attend that many divisional races in a year. And for many Sportsman Racers, getting grade points to attend national events is a prime motivating factor for attending Division races.

There is more but my old phone is about done. So I'll continue at a later date.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #36
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

I'll repeat again, this is a lot about nothing but the ramblings of a few old men, living in the past that think stock eliminator is special and want these events to revolve around them that also think if the rules are reversed to a time gone by decades ago that they and their old cars will find the winner's circle like they may have long ago. You collectively have been crying about most every rule change in this class for decades, more recently...aftermarket brakes, aftermarket seats, aftermarket heads, wheelie bars, 2 steps, class designation, HP factors and the list goes on and on and I didn't even talk about those cheating with ported heads and manifolds that I have seen done in person with my own 2 eyes! You don't work harder nor are you more deserving than any other class racer!

NHRA Sportsman Racing isn't perfect but nothing is. I also do not see the "obvious effort by nhra to remove us from racing at National events " What I do see when I look around the pits at every event is men and women that are excited to compete, hope to win and want to be there. Again...

THANK YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
NHRA, Lucas Oil, Contingency sponsors, Division Directors, their staff... all the men and women that work these events, track owners, managers and their staffs, EMS personal, the fuel and tire companies that support these events and the communities that welcome us when in town supporting these events. Ignore the vocal minority, that complain for the sake of complaining, that think they are special, that want these events and rules changed to favor them, that think these events should revolve around them and their class, some who haven't supported these events in many years.

We the silent majority appreciate your efforts and want you to know they don't go unnoticed.

Signed

The NHRA Sportsman Racer

and to the few old men here living in the past, not one of you btw, "Liked" the above, stop complaining and enjoy what it is or quit!

BTW, if you think I'm alone in my opinion you are mistaken again. I have a lot of friends in NHRA Sportsman Racing running in most every class including stock eliminator and everyone that I have spoken to agree with my comments.

Ken, thank you for this forum where all can voice our opinion on every topic regardless of who disagrees.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-16-2019 at 08:21 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #37
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

Ed,I believe you know who I am and I think you pretty much have hit the nail on the head. I have been doing this 55 years and it has always been crying about factors and rules,costs quotas etc. I love running stock and Super Stock but I accept the rules I'm given and do the best I can. Do I always agree,No would I like to see changes YES but others may not see it my way. We just have to make it the best we can without trashing each other. See you at the races.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #38
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Lee, I'm not sure I do but I appreciate your honest reply. Good to hear you are still loving racing and make the best of it. See you soon and good luck this season.

With that said, I'm out of here for a while, no Ken hasn't banned me yet. I've got two cars to get race ready in 8 weeks for testing. Got a very busy May and June, starting with my son graduating college on May 5th.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #39
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Lee, I'm not sure I do but I appreciate your honest reply. Good to hear you are still loving racing and make the best of it. See you soon and good luck this season.

With that said, I'm out of here for a while, no Ken hasn't banned me yet. I've got two cars to get race ready in 8 weeks for testing. Got a very busy May and June, starting with my son graduating college on May 5th.
Ed congrats on your son graduating college thats a big deal in his life.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #40
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

This issue isn't as much about the rules - it's about an organization that is pushing out the Sportsman racers of all categories from National events. None is so blind as he who refuses to see.