Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
Paul Sarvas

Liked 172 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Dodge going Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Meyer View Post
So are these charging stations free power or do they charge you?? Tom
If you charge at a Tesla supercharger, the cost is typically about $0.25 per KW if you purchased a Model S or Model X after January 2017. Supercharging is free for cars purchased before, January 2017. The average supercharger cost of $0.25 per KW also applies for Model 3. A full recharge to about 250 miles of range costs approximately $22.00. More typically, a half charge (150 miles of range) would cost about $11.00. Cost varies based on the region of the country and local electricity rates.

pS
Old 01-30-2021, 09:54 PM   #22
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
My son has one. Had it a couple years now. He was over to the house last summer in it and brother John wouldn't even take a ride in it ! LOL ..In two years he has not spent a dime on fuel. Drives an hour each way to work. Plugs it into his garage charger when he gets home from work. Tells me he did not notice any change in his electric bill. So far, its never had to return to the dealer. Acceleration is amazing. I'm guessing, it's gotta be a 13 second car. Its so quiet inside its strange.
Interesting that he never noticed a jump in his electric bill. A few months ago on the local news, a person who bought a pure electric car, was complaining how much their electric bill had gone up since they started charging their electric car every night. You would have to think charging a battery for 8 or 10 hours every night just HAS to use some juice. Shortly before I retired after 23 years at a Toyota dealership, 2 of the mechanics leased new Toyota Prius Prime Plug In Hybrids. both live about 20-25 miles from the dealership, and under normal conditions, each can make the commute from home without having the gas engine turn on, they then plug the car in at work, and when their 10 hour shift is over, they can, again, usually make it home just before the battery runs down far enough to cause the gas engine to start, and help charge the battery. The one guy had driven his Prius for 3 months, and still had 1/2 tank from when he picked the car up. Of course if you get stuck in gridlock, or need to run the heater or A/C a lot, the battery runs down that much quicker, or if you don`t baby it on acceleration. At home, you can elect to use a conventional 115 volt plug in, and wait 8 hours or more to charge the battery up, or spend $2000. or more, to have a high speed charger installed at home. I suppose if you do a lot of mostly local driving, and live in or near the city, an electric car or plug in hybrid may be worth considering, but I couldn`t imagine having one as your only vehicle if you live semi rural, or need to be able to go on a long drive now and then, without being stuck waiting for the battery to charge along the way. As for being able to tow a heavy trailer long distances, not sure how convenient trying to maneuver a big motorhome or crew cab dually with a 28 foot trailer behind it, between a pair of Teslas suckling at the public charging stations , would be. Not to mention all the big rig tractor trailers criss crossing North America. Really can`t see fossil fuels going away anytime soon. And realistically, do our cities and utility companies have anywhere near the needed surplus power to charge millions of electric cars? Should be interesting!
Old 01-30-2021, 10:10 PM   #23
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo340 View Post
GM announced yesterday, they will be all electric by 2035.
My dad is rolling over in his grave. He worked at the GM plant in Flint, MI for 24 years before Jimmy Carter destroyed the auto industry. I’m fortunate that I was born in the 60’s. The future of the automobile sucks.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #24
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby DiDomenico View Post
How does he pay the motorfuel gas tax?
That is a good question, How are they the governments' going to pay for the road systems, bridges whatnots. Gas taxes generate lots of cash what is going to replace these taxes. Tom
Old 01-31-2021, 02:13 AM   #25
Mike Gray

Liked 484 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
That is a good question, How are they the governments' going to pay for the road systems, bridges whatnots. Gas taxes generate lots of cash what is going to replace these taxes. Tom
Mileage fee, here in Calif. they are experimenting with gps system to charge you by the mile and time of day for road usage. It will just become another screwed up Calif. system.
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:22 AM   #26
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
. Gas taxes generate lots of cash what is going to replace these taxes. Tom
$36.4 Billion in 2016. Drop in the bucket with todays Govt. spending.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_t...l_tax_revenues

Last edited by Mike Jones; 01-31-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #27
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

I drive a 1992 Geo Metro with 308K miles on it and counting. 56-58 MPG and it never gets less than 50. I'm good.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #28
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,680 Times in 852 Posts

Washington and Oregon are experimenting with road use taxes as well, biggest hurdle I see is building the infrastructure to support all the charging stations. California already has rolling brownouts during peak season so not sure if more nuclear power is the answer, all kind of alternatives in discussion but for sure plenty of tax dollars spent as they take the inevitable 2 steps forward followed by 1-3 steps back. The Ford F-150 with the Pro Power options (all the way up to a 7.2kW output!) is an interesting twist at keeping gas powered vehicles viable. I’m currently considering picking up an electric car just in case world events and/or the current political climate continues unabated.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #29
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Tesla Model S Plaid Plus

Range 520 miles
Quickest 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile acceleration of any production car ever
0-60 mph: <1.99s
1/4 mile: <9.0s
Top Speed 200 mph
1,100+ horsepower
Three high performance motors
Carbon-sleeved rotors
Torque vectoring

The only rub is that prices start at about $135,000, however you can spend a lot more and not be as fast.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-31-2021, 12:47 PM   #30
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Washington and Oregon are experimenting with road use taxes as well, biggest hurdle I see is building the infrastructure to support all the charging stations. California already has rolling brownouts during peak season so not sure if more nuclear power is the answer, all kind of alternatives in discussion but for sure plenty of tax dollars spent as they take the inevitable 2 steps forward followed by 1-3 steps back. The Ford F-150 with the Pro Power options (all the way up to a 7.2kW output!) is an interesting twist at keeping gas powered vehicles viable. I’m currently considering picking up an electric car just in case world events and/or the current political climate continues unabated.
No problem getting more electricity, Jim, Just built some coal burning power plants !Seems the Greenies don`t like nuclear power, coal, or fossil fuels, I guess their answer if for us to all ride horses again. Now, about that equine flatulence......