HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Top Sportsman and Top Dragster
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default Help a new guy learn about TD?

Hello All,

I'm happy to have found your message board and I hope that some of you kind-hearted racers could point me in the right direction. I'd like to put together a Top Dragster program to run at my local track which is Rt 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL. However, I'm new to the world of dragsters and have no real knowledge of the chassis and other intricate details that are dragster specific. I have been running a mid 8-second Mustang in the NMRA series since 2001, won the NMRA EFI/Renegade world championship in 2005, but have since sold the car and would now like to 1) race more locally as I'm worn from all the travel, and 2) I just want to go faster!!! TD has caught my eye and I'd really like to run one of these bad-boys!!

At any rate, I've been doing some research and I think I'd like to run something along the lines of a blown BBF (I'll always be a Ford guy) in something around a 235" - 245" dragster. My goal would be to run in the mid 6's as I think that will be fast enough to consistently get me in to program. I feel like I have the knowledge and connections (I'm a W/D wholesaler for a handful of companies) to build the driveline, however, I am undecided as to what type of chassis to run. I've heard of slip joint, 4-link and swing arm dragsters but really have no clue (yet) as to which one would be best for me. I would either like to have a new chassis built or buy a used, but pretty new chassis. I plan on attending as many of the TD races at Rt 66 as I can this summer to talk to the TD guys and gather as much info as possible. Beyond that and doing lots of internet research, I was wondering if you all might be able to recommend some more informational resources (books, magazines, websites, people, places, chassis builders, etc) which would help me make some decisions when it comes time to buy a chassis and put together a motor. Any and all help or tips would be appreciated as I know the leaning curve will be very steep for me.

As a side note, until I get my own TD operation off the ground if anyone in the Chicago area has a TD program up and running and you are looking for a driver and can be patient while I upgrade my license and learn how to drive a TD, I've already got sponsorship backing through the company I work (day job, not my side Mustang parts biz) at to the tune of $1000 per race as long as you don't mind having the company logo plastered across the car and bringing the car to a couple college job fairs during the summer and fall.

thanks for any help and advise.....sorry for the long first post....I can be reached at SwillRacer@DragRaceMustangParts.com if you've got a ride you're willing to share.

Scott Lovell
SwillRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Help a new guy learn about TD?

wow....150 views and nobody can offer any help?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Ultimate Converter Concepts
Sponsor

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts

Hi Scott, Glad to see you over here, this is a great site. If you get a chance give me a call at the shop during the day at 203-874-2100. Let me see if I can help out a little.
Ultimate Converter Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
EricArrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Scott...I can't really give you any advice on a dragster since I'm a door car dude...But I can say that I would advise buying a quality car IE: Miller or Worthy ...I'm sure there are others that more informed people can recommend . Good luck with your endevor...And BTW...give Lenny a call when it comes to converter time...You will be very happy you did....I am
Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Thanks for the advice guys....

Oh yeah, I've known Lenny for awhile now....he makes great converters.