Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #21
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts
Default Re: PRI Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Is Peter Macritchie making the trip as well ?
Not this year Tim; he was a little under the weather.
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #22
Geoff Turk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ross, while there has already been much dialogue / discussion at PRI this week about these two Drag Paks, that competed in the Factory Showdown in 2017, I’ll offer what I know about it.

There were two primary supercharged engine / air intake packages released when the 2015 Dodge Drag Paks were sold. One at 530 HP and one that parts at time of program car builds were not yet available from production sources, a package at 540 HP. All were submitted, approved and TI sheets existed when I took delivery of my car back in January 2016 (I got car #14). All the SC 2015 Dodge Drag Pak cars were shipped with the 530 HP combination.

My car was a factory 2015 car and I installed the 540 HP combo when parts became available late this summer. 3-4 teams had the parts before I was able to build and install my engine. The car Leah drove started out as the first Drag Pak from circa 2008 and was updated to a 2015 car with the same 540 HP combination. There are some minor differences (my 25.5 cage, etc.) but the air intake, engine configuration, platform components, engine mount position, etc. , etc. are all the same. As most know, there has been very little real change in the current Challenger car platform since its introduction so the underlying cars are very much alike.

The water pump attached to my engine that does not require block modifications was a recent add to my car and is essentially also the same as the car Leah runs. I believe the Cobra Jets actually use a truly remote water pump that they were factory equipped with in the latest SC combination. I have seen zero performance delta from this water pump versus the one run on the 530 HP configuration but I switched because it is the one used in the 540 HP.

I have no real insight to why NHRA chose to allow two configurations of the 2015 SC Drag Paks when they were introduced but it clearly shaped my decision to purchase / compete with it. Although I think we were able to work with and make the 530 HP configuration more competitive than many thought possible while waiting for the 540 HP parts, clearly the 540 HP combination is closer to the Ford / Chevy configurations we compete against. Things including the air intake, SC (now same 2.9l Whipple as a COPO), water pump, AL block and heads (BTW, from the 426 program) etc. are more like those packages. Although we still use a car platform that is two generations older, base weight is heavier, far worse aerodynamically and has only a slightly modified production car hood (cutout underneath as is the radiator support to accommodate air intake without a purpose built hood, for program cost I suppose). So not quite the same playing field but absent a ‘new’ more modern Challenger platform to work with, as close as we will get.

While I don’t know the logic that supported the second configuration, my guess is that NHRA back in late 2015 (when build of the 2015 Drag Paks began) was aware that there would be no 2016 / 2017 Dodge program to accommodate features already in the Chevy / Fords or that were coming in 2016 / 2017, and to give the Dodges a chance to stay on par, they allowed the 540 HP configuration, knowing parts would only be available after the other brands 2016 program cars were out.

I was honored with the opportunity to tear my car down for inspection at Indy this year, an honor bestowed upon two Fords and our Dodge from the ranks of the Showdown cars. Thankfully, after about 11 hours in the barn that included a full tear down and check of engine, SC and various aspects of the car, it all passed.

We look forward to doing our best and hopefully going some rounds in 2018 in the expected tight competition between the Chevys, Fords and hopefully more than a couple Dodges competing in the expanded (and separate from Stock) NHRA Factory Showdown / NMCA Factory Supercars. When I choose to compete (not just go qualify) outside of the Showdowns, it will be in Super Stock because like many others who have expressed their opinion, I do not think I should compete with my car in Stock.

Last edited by Geoff Turk; 12-10-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Geoff Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #23
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Turk View Post
We look forward to doing our best and hopefully going some rounds in 2018 in the expected tight competition between the Chevys, Fords and hopefully more than a couple Dodges competing in the expanded (and separate from Stock) NHRA Factory Showdown / NMCA Factory Supercars. When I choose to compete (not just go qualify) outside of the Showdowns, it will be in Super Stock because like many others who have expressed their opinion, I do not think I should compete with my car in Stock.
Thanks for your reply Jeff... So in all fairness. Your 8.02 pass is a Super Stock or Factory Shootout trim then Stock...
I guess the hunt for the first true stocker into the 7’s might be a longer wait then all had anticipated.

Now that the Factory Shootout cars now enter their own Elimnator and have their own rules, they are more a Super Stocker then a Stocker.
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #24
Geoff Turk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Raceway View Post
Thanks for your reply Jeff... So in all fairness. Your 8.02 pass is a Super Stock or Factory Shootout trim then Stock...
I guess the hunt for the first true stocker into the 7’s might be a longer wait then all had anticipated.

Now that the Factory Shootout cars now enter their own Elimnator and have their own rules, they are more a Super Stocker then a Stocker.
Ross, that is certainly some people’s view ... that these ‘package/program’ cars that never really had VINs, have hoods, air intakes, water pumps, superchargers, TI valves, etc., etc. that were not ever in street legal production cars and/or are not generally allowed in all Stockers, that they should not be considered ‘Stockers’. So whether it’s my 8.02 (or hopefully soon to be 7 something ; ) ) run or a COPO’s 8.07 or a Cobra Jet’s 8.10, their view is none of them are ‘Stock’. Many people have expressed that sentiment and I respect that view.

Im guessing like you, I don’t always understand the logic of or agree with all the rules. If I have a chance for input, I provide it, but once decided, I put my energy into understanding, staying within them and competing. If NHRA calls my car, the COPOs and the Cobra Jets Stock, I’ll run mine there to set records and do my best to go faster but I am thankful to have the Showdown / Factory Supercar races (or occasionally Super Stock) to compete in. If we can put a 7 up on the scoreboard in any one of those places, I’ll call it a good day and I am happy to have you see it anyway you like. Have a great 2018 season.

Last edited by Geoff Turk; 12-10-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Geoff Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #25
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,413 Times in 1,950 Posts

Arlo Guthre - Alice's Restaurant Massacree

.........."They took twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles
And arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
One was, to be used as evidence against us.

Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American
Blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it,

and the Judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy
Pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each
One explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us."

And don't miss the Factory Showdown Cars its going to be one heck of a show
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #26
Mack Reeves

Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Turk View Post
Ross, that is certainly some people’s view ... that these ‘package/program’ cars that never really had VINs, have hoods, air intakes, water pumps, superchargers, TI valves, etc., etc. that were not ever in street legal production cars and/or are not generally allowed in all Stockers, that they should not be considered ‘Stockers’. So whether it’s my 8.02 (or hopefully soon to be 7 something ; ) ) run or a COPO’s 8.07 or a Cobra Jet’s 8.10, their view is none of them are ‘Stock’. Many people have expressed that sentiment and I respect that view.

Im guessing like you, I don’t always understand the logic of or agree with all the rules. If I have a chance for input, I provide it, but once decided, I put my energy into understanding, staying within them and competing. If NHRA calls my car, the COPOs and the Cobra Jets Stock, I’ll run mine there to set records and do my best to go faster but I am thankful to have the Showdown / Factory Supercar races (or occasionally Super Stock) to compete in. If we can put a 7 up on the scoreboard in any one of those places, I’ll call it a good day and I am happy to have you see it anyway you like. Have a great 2018 season.

Mr Turk, I have never had the pleasure of meeting you but I look forward to that day because I like your style. Your comments express exactly what a lot of us feel.. Very well put my man!!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #27
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

I attended the show this year. The weather sucked. Orlando is much better
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #28
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSST109E View Post
I attended the show this year. The weather sucked. Orlando is much better

Sorry, but Orlando is NOT a good racing trade show location.

If you're looking for a warm place to vacation, sure, go to Orlando.

If you're looking to do real business, Indy is much better.

The weather in Indy was fine. Cold? Yes. But very little precipitation.

The Indy location is not great for the guys selling trailers and tow vehicles, because they're outside. Otherwise, the business, which is what the exhibitors are spending money to be there for, is inside.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #29
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Sorry, but Orlando is NOT a good racing trade show location.

If you're looking for a warm place to vacation, sure, go to Orlando.

If you're looking to do real business, Indy is much better.

Otherwise, the business, which is what the exhibitors are spending money to be there for, is inside.
We had a huge drop in customer visits while it was in Orlando as many "registrees" took their wives and kids for a company vacation while our customers (the racers who drove in to Indy from at least 5 near neighboring states) did not make the expensive 20 hour trip to Florida.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #30
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan roehrich View Post
sorry, but orlando is not a good racing trade show location.

If you're looking for a warm place to vacation, sure, go to orlando.

If you're looking to do real business, indy is much better.

The weather in indy was fine. Cold? Yes. But very little precipitation.

The indy location is not great for the guys selling trailers and tow vehicles, because they're outside. Otherwise, the business, which is what the exhibitors are spending money to be there for, is inside.
^^^^ THIS x2!

Plenty warm enough in the hall! I love that a couple of our Loose Rocker racers from New Jersey were wearing their ATI Fall Footbrake Frenzy event shirts... and I happened across them while they were standing in front of the ATI booth. Perfect timing!

Last edited by Michael Beard; 12-11-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote