HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition

Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts
Default Ford in Comp Eliminator?????

Is there a competitive Ford in Comp Elim? Seems to me I remember a probe running comp years ago, but i cant remember there combination. A really good friend of mine and I were talking about his a few mins ago about wanting to run Comp with a SBF. Whats the problem with not many of them running? Is it the heads? I can think of a bunch of heads out there that could do the job!!! Is it the R&D thats keeps the Ford out of comp?

Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Comp Eliminator One Day!!!
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: Ford in Comp Eliminator?????

Steve Ambrose and Bob Huetmann..... 6 cyl .
Old 04-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
John Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it is mostly tradition. Most of the people running comp come from a GM background and are ignorant of the recent improvements in Ford motors.

The other factor is the cost of running a comp car, pro stock prices and sportsman payouts.

Finally John Mihovitz (probably spelled wrong) has a very competitive V8 Ford running in comp. It is a turbo modular motor and usually is the number one qualifier when he competes. He has the traditional turbo consistency problem on race day but the car is very fast.

In my opinion a small block pushrod Ford could be a winning comp car. It would be expensive but no more costly than any other V8 combination. After all the small block Ford is winning in lots of sanctionong bodies other than NHRA.
John Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Here in Div.6, Mark Wolfe has Hurley Blackneys old turbocharged Thunderbird. Also Vancouver BC Canada racer Howie Stevens had been running running his Ford powered C/Altered Probe for quite a few years. (he was R/U at the Seattle national event some years back). The Probe was origionally the Warren Person Ford car. Howie sold the Probe last year, but allegedly has a new car under construction. Years ago he ran a Boss 302 Maverick in Modified Production.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Jeff Swanson

Liked 62 Times in 21 Posts

Here's a really nice car that Travis and Trent Gusso have been putting together over the last few years.

Jeff Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have been looking into a Comp Ford deal myself, My engine builder says it can be done but it will be real costly... I think alot of guys run GM mostly because of the availability of parts, or to get started you can always get a good used setup and build from thier..
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swanson View Post
Here's a really nice car that Travis and Trent Gusso have been putting together over the last few years.

yea I knew about that car. That car is beautiful. I cant wait 'till she hits the strip.
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
John Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
I have been looking into a Comp Ford deal myself, My engine builder says it can be done but it will be real costly... I think alot of guys run GM mostly because of the availability of parts, or to get started you can always get a good used setup and build from thier..
There are just as many parts available for Fords as there are for Chevys, if you look at the classifieds on the Ford racing websites like Hardcore50.com and others you can find just about any Ford part you want used or new. Also there is no significant difference between the cost of parts between the brands except for the cost of low deck blocks where the Ford race quality blocks are significantly cheaper.

Your engine builder is right, it will be real costly. All Comp engines are expensive. If your builder is going to charge more for a Ford, get a builder who knows Fords.
John Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Quinn View Post
There are just as many parts available for Fords as there are for Chevys, if you look at the classifieds on the Ford racing websites like Hardcore50.com and others you can find just about any Ford part you want used or new. Also there is no significant difference between the cost of parts between the brands except for the cost of low deck blocks where the Ford race quality blocks are significantly cheaper.

Your engine builder is right, it will be real costly. All Comp engines are expensive. If your builder is going to charge more for a Ford, get a builder who knows Fords.
There are alot of parts out there true.. but power per cube, the FORD is still lacking unless your straping a big blower, or a turbo to it..
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Jeff Swanson

Liked 62 Times in 21 Posts

There are tons of all motor options out there and the Fords do just fine.

The NMRA which is Ford only has Factory Stock (mid - low 11s), Pure Street (mid - low 10s), and Hot Street (8.60s).

The NMCA which is open to all makes, has Mean Street (high 9s, low 10s) and Pro Stock (8.50s - 8.60s) and again the Fords do just fine.

The PSCA has a class that I *believe* is called Hot Street and they run in the 8.20s - 8.30s, Fords have owned it lately.

The RAM Racing series in the Northeast is ALL naturally aspirated, and opps the Fords do OK there too.

The only problem with Fords in Comp Eliminator is that they don't have 1/10 of the R&D that has gone in to the Chevys, and I'm talking V8s. If anyone starts to fund the R&D there's no reason at all the Fords can't hang. The biggest problem is approved heads. The Gusso's have taken a great first step with Kuntz & Co, but they've got a step learning curve ahead of them and I don't think they expect to set the world on fire right away. I do expect them to run respectably.

There's a whole big world out there outside of NHRA!
Jeff Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote