HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Cisco Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Cisco Kid
Default Strange Rear Shocks

okay here is the issue! i recently replaced my worn out shocks with strange coil over shocks in the rear,when my car launches it rolls hard only lifting the left wheel and the right a little bit,they are the single adjustable ones with ten settings for the rebound...i will enclose a picture,i am not a suspension guy and need some tips and help on what to do! i measured and spring height in comparison with the old ones but i am lost now! here is the pics from my test session...THANKS!

Do I HAve To Crank The Right Rear Up Some More??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gobabygo11.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	1221   Click image for larger version

Name:	lean!1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1222  

Last edited by Cisco Kid; 08-08-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: forgot Something!
Cisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: Strange Rear Shocks

Before doing anything else, make sure both springs are the same rate, if they were replaced. .......Your car looks as if the rebound is full loose in the left rear. ......If both rebound adjustments are the same ,swap the shocks side to side and observe the chassis reaction . ....It's possible that you may have a defective shock,but I'd rule out the springs and the adjustments first. ........You did'nt mention if you made any other changes when you replaced the shocks. .....Where any changes made to the shock mounts or the preload?...........Tom
Old 08-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Cisco Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

all i did was replace the shocks...the springs have always been on the car! but i ran the spanner nuts up so they were equal to the old shocks..but no other changes were made! so should i stiffin the left rear with the rebound knob and go from there??or should i swap the shock first???
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 183 Times in 79 Posts

I would do as Tom suggested..... swap the shocks to see what happens.... especially if you made NO other changes..... but I'm going to throw my money on a defective shock, and I would probably want a NEW SET, not just one......
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
63corvette

Liked 291 Times in 90 Posts

I would also do as Tom recommends and also look for any binding in the suspension after the installation.

Also talk to Strange directly. They are really good people to work with you on an issue. If you bought the shocks directly from them or through someone it does not matter. Strange really wants to make sure their things work as designed.

By the way they will be one to the first to pay contingencies also.

My 2 Cents
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Cisco Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all your responses! i took the shocks off and did the rebound check and the left one was hella loose! so i dialed them in equally (as in turns on knob)and i will adjust them as needed,i did make sure nothing was broken and everything was good,the only thing i can think of is that my dad was playing with the knobs before i installed the shocks,cus the directions said they are set on the sofest setting possible,and i called strange they said 4 turns out (stiffen) then adjust from there...so it should be fine now!! i am sure that will improve my 60ft times a little to along with my rt's...the car always launched straight up evenly before i changed the shocks!! below is a pic of how it launched! ohh yea and the reason i changed all this stuff the car sat for 3 yrs cus i had a little girl and put racing on hold,now i am getting it all back together (new fuel lines,all new fluids,tranny freshened,new torque converter,carb rebuilt,new engine,new slicks,and all greased up!) i did go to the div 3 points meet at trails a few weeks ago,but had some issues with the new carb setup! but now thats fixed and i will get the suspension dialed in and be ready to hit it hard again!!
THANKS AGAIN!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03trails.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1229  
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Cisco Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jerry,that car was actually built in 1982 for my dads racing partner bob bond,it was the 2nd car to come out of jegs shop! the car was painted in 82 with laquer so the paint it really durable.i mean it has it dings but overall it still looks good..see in 1987 the car went sky high and broke the front end so we installed a 87 fiberglass front clip and now call it a 87, we bought the car off bob in 1990 amd been racing it since but my dad built a twin to that car in 1984 but his was 100% fiberglass,and he sold it when he decided to retire from racing,i wish we still had that one! the car i drive now was handed down to me from my dad and he occasionally drives it,but i still treat it as if it was a brand new car! soon i would like to get a dragster,i have slip seated in a few and love them,i am a bracket racer at heart and dragsters are always on the advantage so i figure what the heck,might as well go for it,but i would never sell the camaro!
i did watch some video from fridays test session i had and i seen all the flex,i am sure i got it figured out now!