HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2024, 05:56 PM   #31
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 651 Times in 209 Posts
Cool Re: Counterfeit Parts

Summit has always been real above board and straight up with me on everything I have bought from them for the last 25 or so years. It's good to have reputable persons like that on our side. I'll go there first with all my future parts purchases.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-18-2024, 11:22 PM   #32
CMcAllister

Liked 746 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: Counterfeit Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglrcng View Post
Summit is going above and beyond then and doing the right thing, I hope they do not take a bath on losses, but when you are a big part of the supply chain like they are, questions need to be asked and answered before stocking the parts. But I applaud them for taking action. The racers, and the original designer, engineer, supplier, and end user (along with Summit), suffers from the theft of not only the intellectual property, but possibly some innocent drivers in the other lane if they do not work the same, and the worst happens.

Kudos to Summit Racing!

Summit is going above and beyond a
Just went to the Summit/Atech sites to nose around. Appears to have been scrubbed of anything Speedmaster or PCE related. Same Jegs. Kudos to them if true.

I guess the guys who like that stuff will have to go to Amazon and eBay for their crap.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #33
Eman

Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts

Summit has lawyers, their lawyers told them what to do and they did it. They want to stay out of the storm. They are not innocent, they sell tons of copies under their brand they are just smart enough to make sure the original name isn't engraved on it.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-20-2024, 02:28 AM   #34
Al Reed

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Both Summit and Jeg's have pulled the entire Speedmaster79 lineup from their sales. Basically terminated their sales. Well done people.
Al Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:33 AM   #35
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Regarding one speedmaster product.. A customer brought over an LS block for me to hone. He also brought his new speedmaster head studs to use with my deck plate. I was absolutely stunned at the low quality of those studs. No efffing way they were anywhere near 190,000 psi or the properly hardened material. The torque response felt odd, quite 'spongy' and sure enough when I removed the deck plate and the studs over half of them had started rolling the threads and almost all the nuts could not be spun off by hand after loosening, had to run them off with a socket the rest of the way. And all of the black oxide was gone in the thread area. Total and complete junk.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:46 AM   #36
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

In my job, I live in the world of counterfeit oversight and surveillance every day for aerospace and aviation products. My employer has the contract to supply all fasteners and hardware to all the US branches of the military and also NATO countries for the next 10 years. As the Director of Quality and Engineering, my technical staff and quality inspectors have to inspect bolts, rivets, washers, fittings, and more, that are used on aircraft, weapon systems, ships, submarines, ground vehicles, and more. Yes, we do find companies trying to pass non-conforming and counterfeit products all the time into the supply chain and it gets reported to the government immediately. However, it can take years for the government to charge and prosecute the bad actors.

If suppliers try to pass counterfeit products in the aerospace and aviation industry, passing counterfeit products in the automotive and consumer products world is easier for them because the industry oversight is lax, or in many cases, it does not exist. There are written laws for US Customs to deter these shipments at the port of entry. However, it is not enforced.

Myself, I will not buy any automotive parts through Amazon. In the past when I did, I received counterfeit NGK spark plugs and O2 sensors. I am even concerned about some of the big chain auto parts stores! I purchased an AC Delco oil filter that the threads looked like they had been filed and it was the same with the other AC Delco oil filters. So went to the local NAPA store and purchased a WIX XP. Purchased a set of NGK high-end plugs through RockAuto which were shipped from a local parts store. Put them on my Chevy 8.1L dually truck and it had a misfire days later. Went to the dealership and paid 3 times the price, put in a set of OEM plugs, and problem solved.

My lesson learned is that for my daily drivers, parts are from the local NAPA store that is run by real car guys and the dealership.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:25 PM   #37
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,631 Times in 1,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
Regarding one speedmaster product.. A customer brought over an LS block for me to hone. He also brought his new speedmaster head studs to use with my deck plate. I was absolutely stunned at the low quality of those studs. No efffing way they were anywhere near 190,000 psi or the properly hardened material. The torque response felt odd, quite 'spongy' and sure enough when I removed the deck plate and the studs over half of them had started rolling the threads and almost all the nuts could not be spun off by hand after loosening, had to run them off with a socket the rest of the way. And all of the black oxide was gone in the thread area. Total and complete junk.
Pretty scary Kevin, just think….the majority of our meds are manufactured in China also …..due to AMERICAN GREED……
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:40 AM   #38
Steve Stasko

Liked 230 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
I had the same issue with a 440 Chrysler main girdle kit I bought for a street motor. The girdle itself was fine, but the main studs did exactly what you described. Some of the nuts were so tight on the studs that backing them off with a socket just turned the entire stud out. The company that sold this kit stated the studs were made for them by a leading US manufacturer who's stuff is used in probably every engine raced on this forum.

I would have never found the problem had I just assembled the motor off the machinist's clearances after the line hone. I found tolerances varying +/- .005 on every main cap when I mic'd them. I replaced the studs with known ARP pieces and had the exact same, and correct clearance down every main. I'm sure the machinist had these pieces in and out of the block to have correctly performed the line hone, but they were only seemingly good for one use.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:50 PM   #39
Dan Bennett

Liked 355 Times in 79 Posts

Not sure of the origin of the studs you describe, but a while back I ran across something that made things a lot clearer.

There is actually a single word in Chinese which translates to "good enough" and is considered a wise business practice. It's profitable to change dimensions, processing, and manufacturing to get something that sort of works - at least long enough that people who aren't paying attention don't notice.

Again, in another field I've found that there are some machine shops there that turn out very good items - but of course they are more expensive. Sadly, it looks like the current state of racing doesn't choose to do that.

And yes, I am a strong believer in buying American and avoid buying anything from there when I can. But as their lower prices have gained them market share, it's getting really hard to do so.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:21 AM   #40
sst7250

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

I see a rebranding coming soon....again....
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote