HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #21
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk
Default Re: Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

Very cool project! My late brother had a 2 door Fairmont, was one of my favorite body styles of the time. Good luck with this!

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #22
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylane View Post
I decided since I'm running in a slow class I would remove the halo and the 'A' pillar bars.

Once I installed the swing out bar I mocked up the JAZ plastic seats.
I wouldn't do that until you speak to a Tech man! I think that you'll find that if you have a bar in the car, it must be legal. A cage has a 1 5/8 main hoop, a bar must have 1 3/4. And you must have a legal bar to use your Jaz seats.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #23
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
I wouldn't do that until you speak to a Tech man! I think that you'll find that if you have a bar in the car, it must be legal. A cage has a 1 5/8 main hoop, a bar must have 1 3/4. And you must have a legal bar to use your Jaz seats.
I spoke with a Division 5 Tech man and I was told a Non-Certified roll bar was ok, didn't ask about the seats to be honest with you.

I removed parts of the cage/roll bar that don't affect the integrity of the rest of the roll bar, in my estimation. The cage/roll bar is 1 3/4. Hey I'm no expert on any of this but I tried to do my homework before removing it. I appreciate the feedback and will check further with the Tech people.

I'm hoping that it's not one of those deals where you ask 4 people and get 4 different answers.

Worst comes to worst I'll get it certified, if it won't certify I'll remove it and install some less safe OEM seats and the 30 pound back seat.

Thanks, Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll bar 1.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	33882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll bar 2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	33883  
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #24
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

The bar doesn't need to be certified but it would still have to be legal. If the main hoop is 1 3/4 then you should be OK.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #25
Shadylane

Default Re: Fairmont U/S Build

Ordered a Moser spool and axle kit for the 8.8. Got a 31 spline which they said should be plenty strong enough for my build. I had previously sent my axle housing to a local rock crawling shop to have the tubes and brackets welded in a straitening jig. With the housing back in the car I cut the ends of the tubes so it would accommodate the C-Clip eliminator. Installed the axles and spool without a R&P until we get the engine dyno’ed. Need to make a decision on tire size and gear ratio down the road. The down side of 8.8 axles is the lack of R&P choices. Based on talking with a few folks I’ll probably be in the area of a 29.5 tire and a 4:88 gear but that is just a guess as that may be a little too much tire. Transmission has a 3:19 low gear.

Bought a pair of used Hotchkiss adjustable upper control arms, the lowers were already on the car when I bought it. Another bonus.

The axle housing didn't have any brakes when I got the car so I went shopping on CL and found some 11 inch Rangers drum brakes which are more than adequate. Added new shoes and hardware. Been along time since I built drum brakes, had to dig out my old tools. When I win the lottery I'll buy some light weight brake components front and rear.

Received the trans back from Jerico last week. They changed the input shaft and bearing retainer to fit my FFFord. The Long ratchet shifter is a thing of beauty. Everytime I get a new part it motivates me even more to get moving on it.

Mounted the fuel cell along with an electric fuel pump. My welding on the fuel cell tabs is kind of crappy, I'll cover with paint.

Bought a used Mallory 140 from a friend. Kind of overkill for this application but it was cheap. I'll kit it and try it. I also have a used Red and Blue Holley pump as back ups.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Axel 1.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	33919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axel 2.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	33920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axel 3.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	33921  

Name:	Brakes 1.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	33922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Cell 1.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	33923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Cell 2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	33924  

Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #26
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

What Billy is saying is correct, regardless of whether the rules require a roll bar or not, if it is in the car, it has to be legal. Kind of a funny rule but that's the way it is.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
Shadylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
What Billy is saying is correct, regardless of whether the rules require a roll bar or not, if it is in the car, it has to be legal. Kind of a funny rule but that's the way it is.
It is 1 3/4 mild steel. Should be legal...as per Billy anyway. The closest NHRA inspector is 7 hours away.

Thanks, Kelly
Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #28
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool build got a Box top Fairmont myself with a 6 lunger. A 29.5 tire is gonna take alot of trimming to fit those fenders are not real big! Good luck keep us posted!
BLIND MULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #29
Shadylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIND MULE View Post
Cool build got a Box top Fairmont myself with a 6 lunger. A 29.5 tire is gonna take alot of trimming to fit those fenders are not real big! Good luck keep us posted!
When I was looking for Fairmonts, I thought I wanted a box top car. The more I looked into these cars the more I started liking the looks of the Futura's. Both cars can be made light, I like the idea of the fast back and the Futura is actually an inch shorter in height, plus the windshield is laid back a little more than a box top. Probably not important for a 95mph car.

I have my body man looking at the wheelwell situation. I have a pair of 29.5 M/T's that I can fit under the car with a 1/2 clearance which I know is not enough. I think in the end I can make them work with the proper wheel offset, maybe.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #30
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Cool build. Reading this, I have a question. Why would you want to run such a large tire on a low hp application? I am just comparing to the cars I have ran, (not stock eliminator). I have had consistent 1.29 - 1.30 60 ft times in the past on a 10.5 x 26 tire, with 600 hp and a 5 speed. I realize the 10" tire is not legal for stock, but just seems something under 9" and around 26" diameter would be more than sufficient, and free up some ET by not having to carry the extra tire down the track. I'm sure there is a reason most of the Stock Eliminator guys like the big tire, so that's why I'm asking.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote