HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default '67 'Vette L-88 - NHRA A/Sports Champion

Anybody remember these?
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=DA0913-165417
Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts
Default Re: '67 'Vette L-88 - NHRA A/Sports Champion

An interesting basis for an NHRA political history lesson. There were actually three of these cars in competition during the 1967-1969 era in NHRA sports classes. The combination was in the classification guide from 1968 on. It lay dormant until 1988 when Scott Wilcox built one to compete in SS/A. There was also an original black car from the Bowling Green area that had raced for several years ( Tony ?) but had not been as competitive. As soon as Scott's car began threatening the Hemis, a group of the MoFear racers claimed the "not enough produced" caveat (50 minimum) and NHRA told Scott he couldn't race that car any more. There is even a note in the Classification Guide to justify the deletion of the combination from the guide. I believe Scott's car is the one Jimmy Bridges races now. Of course it does not matter that the combination was a regular production option (RPO) for Chevrolet and that the Hemi cars were purpose built cars that were sold only if you had inside connections. Anyone could have walked into a Chevrolet dealer and ordered an L88 Corvette in 1967; just not many people did. What would the Hemi guys say if only 25 people had bought Street Hemis in 1966 and NHRA booted them out? "You can make the rules if you can buy the game."
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Curt Rees

Liked 226 Times in 47 Posts
Thumbs up Re: '67 'Vette L-88 - NHRA A/Sports Champion

I believe Larry Otten out of Tea, SD ran a silver one at Thunder Valley, Marion, SD in 1967/68 and for a few years more. I know the car was A/Sports and ran well, 11's.

Maybe someone that was around then that was at TVD can jump in here and confirm that. It was a fun car to watch run!

Tim, do you have any photos of it? Maybe from John Echlinger's (spelling) photo collection?

Curt Rees

Last edited by Curt Rees; 08-21-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Update
Curt Rees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
rtr0id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is picture of Scott's car from back in the day

We loved beating up on the Hemis back then. We got a win with it at the Southern Nationals and a runner up with it one year in Englishtown. We had a lot of Chevy guys back then stop by the pits an tell us how glad they were to see us giving the hemis guys hell. And then with them complaining to NHRA about us I started to frown upon the hemis. We also ran in SS/B and SS/C

But guess what I drive and race today...lol...Hemis

btw Tony Rhodes was his name

Last edited by rtr0id; 08-21-2013 at 01:23 PM.
rtr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
An interesting basis for an NHRA political history lesson. There were actually three of these cars in competition during the 1967-1969 era in NHRA sports classes. The combination was in the classification guide from 1968 on. It lay dormant until 1988 when Scott Wilcox built one to compete in SS/A. There was also an original black car from the Bowling Green area that had raced for several years ( Tony ?) but had not been as competitive. As soon as Scott's car began threatening the Hemis, a group of the MoFear racers claimed the "not enough produced" caveat (50 minimum) and NHRA told Scott he couldn't race that car any more. There is even a note in the Classification Guide to justify the deletion of the combination from the guide. I believe Scott's car is the one Jimmy Bridges races now. Of course it does not matter that the combination was a regular production option (RPO) for Chevrolet and that the Hemi cars were purpose built cars that were sold only if you had inside connections. Anyone could have walked into a Chevrolet dealer and ordered an L88 Corvette in 1967; just not many people did. What would the Hemi guys say if only 25 people had bought Street Hemis in 1966 and NHRA booted them out? "You can make the rules if you can buy the game."
Dwight,
Yes, Jimmy Bridges' current SS/B Corvette is indeed Scott Wilcox's old car, I got that from Jimmy himself. The black Corvette that you remember belongs to Tony Rhodes, it was Tony's car that was featured in the side bar article back in the day, about the race to the first 8 second Super Stock pass. The article focused on the Hemi cars, but then in a side bar featured Tony's car.

Scott Wilcox is a member here, and does at times go to a race or two, in fact, I get emails from him every so often.

There was in fact a time that both Tony Rhodes and Scott Wilcox raced those two cars on a regular basis at "The Hill" AKA Music City Raceway, which for years held both Combo One (no breakout) and Combo Two (dial in) races nearly every week. I think that Mike Lynch may have driven Scott's car a few times. I'm pretty sure that Jimmy and Mike worked on Tony's car at the race track a few times, and Jimmy built at least one of Tony's engines. On any given day back then, Tony's car could step up and go very fast. It was a real treat to see two SS/A 67 L-88 Corvettes go at it heads up every so often back then. But then, back then, there were well over 2 dozen wicked Stock and Super Stock cars racing nearly every weekend at "The Hill".

Tony still has his car, or at least had it until early this year, it was for sale about 3 months or so ago, for $70K. That was the first time in over 30 years that I have known the Rhodes' and known about that car, that it has ever been offered for sale.

Chevrolet documented selling a total of 36 1967 L-88 Corvettes. However, several people who would know say that several cars were sent out the back door to special people. Supposedly at least enough to make the total of cars built and sold/released to private individuals the required 50 or more. Unfortunately, the guy who was the semi official historian for Chevrolet, and could have verified this, died as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident a few years back.

The truth is, with the advent of the new paper cars that were NEVER built by an OEM, and in fact no production engine ever existed for, the case can be made that while GM may have only sold 36 of the 1967 L-88 Corvettes, more complete cars could have been built and probably were, and anyone who bought a 1967 Corvette could have purchased an L-88 service replacement engine and "built" his own 67 L-88 Corvette. That means that the 67 L-88 Corvette should be at least as legitimate as any new factory race car combination that was never actually built.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I have photo's of one of the originals.

Back in 1969 my neighbor's Daughter dated one of the Assembly Managers at the
General Motors Plant in Tarrytown, New York where she worked as a Secretary..

He had a Dark Green {Goodwood Green} 67' Coupe L-88 with Side Exhaust and
Cragars all around.

He never raced it at the Drag Strip,, but it was one awesome sounding beast.
Was supposed to have 4.56 or 4.88 Gears in it.

Donny L******* was the owners name and he bought it for, I think $7000, from another
Plant Manager in 1969,,,,,,,,,, which was the 'Moon'.

It has been sitting in a garage in Cortlandt Manor, New York since 1971.

Last edited by Paul Ceasrine; 08-22-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

Memphis 1989 was the race where the **** hit the fan for the ChryCo guys. Scott qualified with a 9.30 in SS/A and I qualified with a 9.60 in SS/C. The SS/AA record was a 9.28 IIRC. There was a wad of hemi racers who could be seen in and out of the timing tower several times on on Saturday. Shortly after that the change was released. Scott is on the forum as Pvt Parts. His car stayed in Bridges' shop in downtown Nashville most of the time.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Lt1Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paul,

I would love to see photos of that car.....if you care to share them?

Mike
Lt1Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1Mike View Post
Paul,

I would love to see photos of that car.....if you care to share them?

Mike

Mike,

I'll get them from my father's Photo Album, and post them as soon as I get them,

The Corvette has been sitting in a Garage since 1971 {Cortland Manor, New York} and has never been molested or restored.

Goodwood Green Exterior Paint ~ White Hood Stripe ~ Green Interior

What is the $$$ Vaue of these L-88 Corvette's.

Last edited by Paul Ceasrine; 08-22-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
rtr0id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Mike,

I'll get them from my father's Photo Album, and post them as soon as I get them,

The Corvette has been sitting in a Garage since 1971 {Cortland Manor, New York} and has never been molested or restored.

Goodwood Green Exterior Paint ~ White Hood Stripe ~ Green Interior

What is the $$$ Vaue of these L-88 Corvette's.
add 3 more $$$

$$$,$$$.00
rtr0id is offline   Reply With Quote