HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
mcink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default "Pizza Man" Corvette for sale at Mecum auction

I just saw an ad on the Overhaulin" show for the upcoming auction in St Charles, IL, and the "Pizza Man" Corvette of Earl Britts is up for auction.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...4&entryRow=480

Man, I wish I had money.

mcink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Jimbo17

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: "Pizza Man" Corvette for sale at Mecum auction

A few years ago I was contacted and asked to create some of the decals that were on the original car which I did and I remember the owner telling me he tried for years to get all the original documentation for the car from Earl Britts son which he finally did get along with all the National Record certificates and trophies the car had one over the years.

I know he spend a great deal of money to bring it back to original condition and I think I remember him also telling me something very interesting about the car and that it had never been registered to be driven on the street.

This car really had a real famous racing history and having a six cylinder Pontiac engine made it very different for sure.

Jimbo
Jimbo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I'll take a large pie with pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers and extra cheese.

M68
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo17 View Post
A few years ago I was contacted and asked to create some of the decals that were on the original car which I did and I remember the owner telling me he tried for years to get all the original documentation for the car from Earl Britts son which he finally did get along with all the National Record certificates and trophies the car had one over the years.

I know he spend a great deal of money to bring it back to original condition and I think I remember him also telling me something very interesting about the car and that it had never been registered to be driven on the street.

This car really had a real famous racing history and having a six cylinder Pontiac engine made it very different for sure.

Jimbo
I didn't realize that this old Corvette was Pontiac powered...anyone know what he's asking for it, I wonder if it will sell or not...

Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
rawhide

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I remember seeing this car at the 1967 Springnationals at Bristol. That was my first big race I attended and I was living the dream after reading the magazines for several years and then getting to see all of those cars I had read about.
Roland
rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
mcink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"no sale" at $120,000.00
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Fred Rice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This car is currently owned by Dan Hampton. Don't have a clue what it is worth but I would have certainly taken the 120k. Don't know what he gave for the car though. Dan is on the Corvette forum pretty regularly.
Fred Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
mcink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Rice View Post
This car is currently owned by Dan Hampton. Don't have a clue what it is worth but I would have certainly taken the 120k. Don't know what he gave for the car though. Dan is on the Corvette forum pretty regularly.
************************************************** *************************************************
back on 5/3/08, Dan Hampton added this info on the www.jalopyjournal.com forum...
************************************************** *************************************************

I am new to the Forum. I am responding to someone's query re: The Pizza Man, the '54 Corvette Drag Car (99th Corvette produced in '54) I am the current owner of that car. I purchased it from Dana Mecum (Dana Mecum Auctions) for $45,000 in 1999. It was part of his private collection of historic Corvettes. I had been at the BRIC at Elkhart Lake that year and Dana had held an auction on the ground of the Ostoff Resort Hotel. That car was in attendance. I did bid on the car, but it did not meet the reserve. Later that week, I contacted Dana and I purchased the car from him in a private transaction.

The car was pretty much devoid of all the original lettering and the Weber 45mm DCOE sidedrafts were gone, too. The wheels were Cragar SS which were used later (circa 1970) and the chrome reverse (rear) and the Salt Flat kidney style (front) were also gone. Later in the career of the car, 48mm IDA Webers had been used and there are some pictures with the car employing the huge hood scoop to accommodate the velo stacks on the downdraft carbs. That hood also came with the car. All of this has now been changed back to the way the car was when it was campaigned in 1967. I have tried to make the car look the way it did when it was showcased in the Victory Circle at Indy (Summer Nats) in 1967. I have had many of the original decals handcrafted and, in some instances, painted on the car.

The Britt Family--more, specifically, Sam Britt--was nice enough to provide me with all the original (eight) NHRA National Class Title Certificates and racing photos. It took me over five years to convince him that I was for real and that I was not interested in selling the car. He was right to do what he did by withholding them. He had a number of people trying to secure those over the years but he never gave them up.

The car, as someone mentioned, has a great history, and if anyone can add to that, I would very much appreciate it (memories/stories).
The car is headed to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. in September.

Fastest time? In F/MP it set a National Record @12.17 in 1970, although Sam Britt told me that they had run an unofficial 11.97 that year.

If anyone has any info to offer, please free to contact me at: jhampton@triwest.net

Thanks

Dan Hampton
CSX 2189
Old 11-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Jimbo17

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think the economic times we are in played a large part in the bidding for this very historic drag racing car being so low.

This car has so much drag racing and documentation to go along with it that to the right collector this would be a well worth the money.

How many drag racing cars are there still around that spent their entire life just be drag raced?

Finding another car like this with all the National Records and documentation and trophies is a very rare find.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill Nostalgic Racing Decals
Jimbo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I think sales are down in the last few years on old race cars, they are not pulling the numbers like they once were...were there many other first generation Corvettes as popular as this one.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote