HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #21
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts
Default Re: 4 Days in May

I know stock rules can be totally different than any other NHRA class, and not trying to take anything away from that amazing accomplishment. My question is was it legal to even dial in the 9's with just a short sleeve t-shirt?
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #22
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 938 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
I know stock rules can be totally different than any other NHRA class, and not trying to take anything away from that amazing accomplishment. My question is was it legal to even dial in the 9's with just a short sleeve t-shirt?
I don`t recall if NHRA had made the Stocker drivers wear a SFI jacket yet in 2001, but I think any such ruling would be more based on the ET ran, not a shoe polish number on the window.
As one of the fortunate few to have been there early that chilly Sunday morning, I recall that Bobby was the first in the lanes with a 9.99 dial, several others soon changed their 10.0 dials to a 9.99. When Bobby DeArrmonds blue 69 Camaro hiked the front wheels high in a first round race against Gary McCoys yellow E/S AAR Cuda, and headed down track, it seemed to take a while, and then the 9.99 popped up on the score boards, and history was made. Cheering by some, and likely some cursing muttered under the breath of the other racers hoping to be first. And although it was not a record run, as Robert Pond had ran a corrected for altitude 9 at Boise a few weeks earlier, Bobbys 9 was the first un corrected single digit pass. And to erase any doubt, Bobbys engine was voluntarily subjected to a full NHRA teardown, including removing the engine from the car, and dropping the oil pan, under the watchful eyes of the NHRA Tech crew, and then DD Jerry Valentine. It was quite an experiance.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #23
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 938 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
I don`t recall if NHRA had made the Stocker drivers wear a SFI jacket yet in 2001, but I think any such ruling would be more based on the ET ran, not a shoe polish number on the window.
As one of the fortunate few to have been there early that chilly Sunday morning, I recall that Bobby was the first in the lanes with a 9.99 dial, several others soon changed their 10.0 dials to a 9.99. When Bobby DeArrmonds blue 69 Camaro hiked the front wheels high in a first round race against Gary McCoys yellow E/S AAR Cuda, and headed down track, it seemed to take a while, and then the 9.99 popped up on the score boards, and history was made. Cheering by some, and likely some cursing muttered under the breath of the other racers hoping to be first. And although it was not a record run, as Robert Pond had ran a corrected for altitude 9 at Boise a few weeks earlier, Bobbys 9 was the first un corrected single digit pass. And to erase any doubt, Bobbys engine was voluntarily subjected to a full NHRA teardown, including removing the engine from the car, and dropping the oil pan, under the watchful eyes of the NHRA Tech crew, and then DD Jerry Valentine. It was quite an experiance.
By the way, its a good thing for Bobby he ran the number in the first round, as he actually redlite against McCoy.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #24
west coast

Liked 129 Times in 49 Posts

I watch the video today at lunch and I was there that day also what history was made. I see Rory made it in the video in the stands. Wish I had a stocker back then just to be in the field. I didn't get to see the run cause I was in the staging lanes the next class to go out.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #25
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

Quite an accomplishment from a great guy and family. I enjoy the Christmas cards every year from Bobby and his family. Deserves a separate chapter in the book "The History of Drag Racing ".
Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #26
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Another piece of history was the 1st 7 second run by an SS car (John Galina) that happened at Mission also a couple of years later. Mission can be crazy fast.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #27
Mike Semeniuk

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Another piece of history was the 1st 7 second run by an SS car (John Galina) that happened at Mission also a couple of years later. Mission can be crazy fast.
that was another great race I happened to be at as well. That was some fast car.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #28
Jeff Goss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was there as well!

I think I'm even in the video, as well as Larry's other one. I think it's called Monsters of Launch?

Larry is a great guy!
Jeff Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #29
Tom P

Liked 216 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Jordan View Post
I was one of the fortunate ones to have been at that race. The electricity of excitement had to be experienced, it just can't be explained. We woke up to great weather and knew it was going to be a historic weekend. To watch Stockers put 9.99 on their windows for a dial-in was very surreal, for the time. When Bobby lit up the scoreboard the place went crazy. I will never forget that weekend.

It was a good weekend for my hemi team, too. :-)
Certainly was. Having Bucky and the Bartons come west to race your team was a real treat for us locals.

I think Don Little was the most surprising Stock performer, not many people would have chosen him to run a nine first and he almost did. Robert Pond spun the tires just enough to kill the chance for a nine.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #30
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonChick View Post
Kevin,

I sent you a private message, with info to get a hold of Larry Pfister.
Thank you very much with your help I was able to contact Larry. I purchased the "4 Days in May" and when we were talking I told him I am Buick owner/racer so I also bought the Galina first 7 second super stocker video. I will ask Larry if he wants me to put his email on a public forum and will keep everyone updated. Thanks to all the input , greatly appreciated.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote