HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New NHRA "Unleashed" format.....

Will this new NHRA format HELP, or prove to be THE END of stock and superstock class racing as we currently see it? Let's hear what EVERYONE thinks, and why.... (It's coming this JUNE, on NHRA website now, incl. payouts, rules.) This is non-throttle stop heads-up racing, w/classes from 8.5, 10.0, 11.00. 12.00, and 13, I believe.....WJ

Last edited by W J; 03-04-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add content....
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Jim Craig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: New NHRA "Unleashed" format.....

Having and idea as to what the street-legal scene is, this will have no effect on stock or Super Stock racing. You guys don't want to run heads-up 1/8th mile and those heads-up guys don't want anything to do with NHRA class racing.

Although, once some of you guys experience it -- you might want to change over and I guess the same could go for "some" of the guys already running street legal heads up.

I can tell you one thing though -- the guys who are running the ORSCA (unleashed) type racing now are nothing like the import guys from a few years ago when NHRA thought they'd try their hand at the sport compact series. These guys aren't just kids or the younger crowd racing -- you'd be surprised at the demographics. Now if NHRA decided to take things seriously.................
Jim Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Right now, it looks like there are no naturally aspirated classes in NHRA Unleashed, which I find disappointing.

Add to that the travel that is necessary to compete in the five scheduled races, and I think participation will take a few years to build in the best of circumstances. I don't think many of those participants will be from S/SS. Most Super Gas cars won't fit into the rules either. It would be nice if there was a class or two where regular NHRA racers could adapt their cars with a day's work and compete when the circus comes to town.

Being televised and hopefully promoted, it should draw some serious players from NMCA, NMRA and ORSCA.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Did any one else notice the entry fee to payout relation.
The slow index class have a $50 dollar entry with $1600 to win. Are the tech guys required for checking class cars that well paid. As I see it the only cost difference between this and running class cars is tech. Yet they have 1/5th the entry for the same winnings.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Jim Craig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Curcio View Post
Right now, it looks like there are no naturally aspirated classes in NHRA Unleashed, which I find disappointing.

Add to that the travel that is necessary to compete in the five scheduled races, and I think participation will take a few years to build in the best of circumstances. I don't think many of those participants will be from S/SS. Most Super Gas cars won't fit into the rules either. It would be nice if there was a class or two where regular NHRA racers could adapt their cars with a day's work and compete when the circus comes to town.

Being televised and hopefully promoted, it should draw some serious players from NMCA, NMRA and ORSCA.
ORSCA & most "street-legal" racing organizations are based on power-adder classes. However, the RAM series in the Maryland / Delaware area are all n/a and both the NMRA & NMCA offer n/a classes.

But to be competitive in the NMRA or NMCA you had better have a Comp eliminator budget and race / testing ethic -- oh, and you don't get to use wheelie bars. Ask John Langer and Butch Kemp about that................

A couple of years ago the NSCA (at Larry Perkin's urging) adopted rules for their Pro Comp class to allow an easy entry of NHRA Comp & super stock GT cars -- you know how many make the trek, NONE. This was a shame because Larry was giving everybody a run for their money and just lived for the competitive nature of the class.

Now Nitro Joe created a class at the NSCA (can't remember what he called it) that was very popular with a lot of NHRA / IHRA stock and super stock racers, I know it started out strong but sort of dwindled away, not sure why. Joe would know, he might chime in here.
Jim Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are some heads-up index classes included.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I knew NMCA had an all-motor class (Mean Street?), and that NMRA has a really interesting class called Factory Stock. I've heard of ORSCA, but I don't think they come to the northeast.

I forgot the NSCA existed, even though I was once pitted beside Larry Perkins (or was it his brother?), who had a Jenkins Competition engine in 67 Nova. I guess that was a Pro Comp car. With aftermarket heads and a custom intake manifold, I guess a SS/CM from NHRA could have crossed over.

I'm also unaware of the RAM series- what tracks does it run?

I can't see building/buying a car that can only be raced five times a year, and only if you are willing to travel. But if each organization offered a naturally aspirated class with similar rules, it should attract more racers than it has in the past. For example, one could run NMCA once a year at Maple Grove, NMRA at Atco, RAM at Budds Creek, NHRA Unleashed at maybe Englishtown.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Charrlie_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Curcio View Post

I looked at that the other day, and didn't see a requirement for power adders. I thought the rules were more like running a bracket car, on a fixed index, like the 10.90 class is now, but without electronics. Example my car could run 13.0
Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: took another look, and see what you are talking about. The "heavy hitter" classes require power adders, but the index classes, seem to be tailor made for "ANY" car now racing (except "box cars") be it a stock/super stock or bracket car. I think I will try it at either/or Atlanta in june, Gainesville in November.

Back in the '70's when bracket racing first started we had 10 "classes" at 1 sec interval brackets except for the fastest which was 10.99 and faster, and the slowest which was 18.00 and slower, if I remember correctly.

I think heads up racing is more interesting for the spectator, and the "index" classes would let me compete on my limited budget. Need to pick up a few tenths, and I'll be good to go.

Last edited by Charrlie_S; 03-06-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Charrlie_S is offline   Reply With Quote