HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #41
pbp1

Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: EFI, Alpha-N vs Speed Density fueling Strategies

No worries, but now I understand why we are not on the same page. All of my information relates to VE based speed density only, not fuel flow based speed density (which is not speed density at all). As far as dialing in quickly, I think it is just a matter of what you are familiar with. I can dial in a speed density setup in 4-5 pulls, or 3-4 passes down track!
pbp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #42
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,728 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbp1 View Post
No worries, but now I understand why we are not on the same page. All of my information relates to VE based speed density only, not fuel flow based speed density (which is not speed density at all). As far as dialing in quickly, I think it is just a matter of what you are familiar with. I can dial in a speed density setup in 4-5 pulls, or 3-4 passes down track!
Cool.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #43
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,449 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
I almost forgot, how about when you are on the two-step from an external ignition box? Do the TPS and map sensor think the engine is under load and start flooding the cylinders?

Last edited by Bobby Fazio; 07-22-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Bobby Fazio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #44
pbp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
I almost forgot, how about when you are on the two-step from an external ignition box? Do the TPS and map sensor think the engine is under load and start flooding the cylinders?
No, as long as you are not in Closed Loop while on the two step. That is a big no-no!
But whether you are in Alpha-N or Speed Density, the cylls that are not being dropped still need the fuel based on the load and RPM.
When you are on the 2 step, the engine load is still controlled by the throttle and measured by manifold vacuum. In other words, as long as you are on the floor, the engine is still under 100% or max load, the RPMs are just being limited by dropping cylls.
Now, the problem with being in closed loop while on a rev limiter (or two step) is that the dropping of cylls will cause the O2 sensor to read false lean and if you are in closed loop, this will cause a ton of un-needed fuel to be added as O2 correction.
The FAST XFI has internal rev limiters that you can use even if you are using an external ignition box. The benefit of using this feature is that closed loop is automatically turned off when any rev limiter is active, but this only works if you are using the XFI's two step feature. If you are using a different system that does not have this feature, or if you are using the rev limiter in your ignition box, you must set your closed loop activation RPM high enough to be above your two step RPM. Using the XFI's limiter is really nice because you can have closed loop active down low in the cruising around the pits areas and burnout areas. This helps the car run and drive better if you haven't had an opportunity to perfectly tune or "clean up" those driveability areas.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #45
Mack Reeves

Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
No, as long as you are not in Closed Loop while on the two step. That is a big no-no!
But whether you are in Alpha-N or Speed Density, the cylls that are not being dropped still need the fuel based on the load and RPM.
When you are on the 2 step, the engine load is still controlled by the throttle and measured by manifold vacuum. In other words, as long as you are on the floor, the engine is still under 100% or max load, the RPMs are just being limited by dropping cylls.
Now, the problem with being in closed loop while on a rev limiter (or two step) is that the dropping of cylls will cause the O2 sensor to read false lean and if you are in closed loop, this will cause a ton of un-needed fuel to be added as O2 correction.
The FAST XFI has internal rev limiters that you can use even if you are using an external ignition box. The benefit of using this feature is that closed loop is automatically turned off when any rev limiter is active, but this only works if you are using the XFI's two step feature. If you are using a different system that does not have this feature, or if you are using the rev limiter in your ignition box, you must set your closed loop activation RPM high enough to be above your two step RPM. Using the XFI's limiter is really nice because you can have closed loop active down low in the cruising around the pits areas and burnout areas. This helps the car run and drive better if you haven't had an opportunity to perfectly tune or "clean up" those driveability areas.
In your above reply you mention that FAST will turn off closed loop automatically when you are on the two step.. Is this in 2.0?? Where do you turn this on or is it totally automatic??? I have been told set your closed loop higher than your two-step RPM... But you do not get the clean driveability I the pit area and other low RPM areas... Thanks in advance for your help.....
Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #46
pbp1

Yes Mack, this is a 2.0 feature and it is automatic, you don't have to do anything to turn it on.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #47
Mack Reeves

Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Yes Mack, this is a 2.0 feature and it is automatic, you don't have to do anything to turn it on.
That is a feature I had not known about.. Another reason for updating to 2.0. Thanks for the information...
Old 06-14-2019, 01:50 AM   #48
Rick Schillereff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed I bracket race an 01 ls1 camaro and how and where are you putting the ITS sensor in the intake manifold. Thanks just trying to get better.
Rick Schillereff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #49
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schillereff View Post
Ed I bracket race an 01 ls1 camaro and how and where are you putting the ITS sensor in the intake manifold. Thanks just trying to get better.
If I am the Ed you are talking to, I had a bung made & welded into the back of the plenum of my sheet metal Hogan Intake. Screwed the IAT sensor into that bung.
The older "TPI" cars used a threaded IAT sensor, screwed into the Intake. I just bought an IAT sensor for a '90 Vette.
I just remembered this:
I originally put my air temp sensor in the tray I had in front of my throttle body (no longer used)
And was seeing large temp variations from the water box to third gear. Looked too large to me.
Moving that sensor to the rear of my manifold took much of those large changes away. Also made my air/fuel ratio more stable during a pass, and made my car more consistent, easier to dial.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 06-29-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote