HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #31
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts
Default Re: Interesting or Funny Car Stories

I was 16 with a drivers license in 1968 and had a 64 VW beetle I shared with my brother who was 14 months older. We each had it every other day. On my day to ride around, I saw two classmates who worked part time at the local service station with a mid 50ish Ford in the bay. I stopped to see what was up and they had jacked the car up in the rear to look cool. I began helping bleed the rear brakes filling the reservoir while one pumped and one bled etc. I was closing up the reservoir, closed the hood as Bruce fired it up, threw his arm over the seat looking back. Just as I passed the front of the car to put the brake fluid on its shelf. BAM he drove into the wall. Near miss on me....they had flipped the rear axle to put the axle spring perches under the springs only to discover 3 speeds in reverse and 1 in forward. It sat in front of station about a week and it was jacked up.. I can still hear the laughter some 50 years later. Young and Dumb etc
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #32
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Fresh out of high school, my pal Steve Koppien and I spent the winter rebuilding the 327 from his '68 Nova for Super Stock. We disassembled the engine in his parents single car garage and off to the machine shop everything went. During the cold winter, we assembled the complete engine in the nice, warm basement of the house on an engine stand we probably borrowed from somebody.

Pretty good stuff for the time....GK cam, Edelbrock Tarantula manifold, Jomar stud girdle, roller rockers, Moroso aluminum valve covers, deep Moroso oil pan, etc. Surveying the assembled masterpiece, it dawned on both of us at the same time.

How the (blank) were we going to get it out of the basement?!

Got a bunch more funny stories. Most involve some amount of alcohol. And there's that Statute of Limitations thing, so best to stop here.....

Last edited by Alan Nyhus; 12-02-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #33
tim worner

Liked 126 Times in 20 Posts

Sometime in the 90's I was getting ready for Indy and took my motor to Hettler for a freshen. He was unable to get it done so I put it back in the car and off to Cecil Co. points race. The car ran real slow. Off to Indy anyhow car still so slow I was not going to qualify. David Layer and I checked everything looking for something wrong but found nothing. Finally we decided to drain the oil and check for metal. I put the drain pan under the car and the oil keep comming out and comming out. It seems Gary put 5 qts of oin in and so did I. The car picked up over 2tenths and 4 mph. It,s hell when you don't have a dipstick
Old 12-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #34
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Fellow racer story, thankfully I don't own this one. Back in the 80's, when there were no such thing as cell phones, there was a track in Assumption IL called Motion Raceway where most of my friends went to race. We all lived about 40 miles away and it was a country road excursion the whole way to get there.

Racing done for the night, everybody loads up just as a thick spring fog rolls in near midnight. On the way home, this friend is hauling his '63 Plymouth on a ramp bed truck. Whether he forgot to tie it down or not still remains a mystery, but at one point along the way there is a stop sign at a country intersection literally in the middle of nowhere. Most people never stopped for it because you could see both ways for miles. But not in a fog.

Some other guys are towing home on this very same road and you must remember the fog is really thick so nobody's making any good time on this trip home, fairly slow going. Another racer comes up on a black race car sitting right in the middle of the road shortly after this useless stop sign. It's a '63 Plymouth.
Apparently, our racer of note had stopped for the sign and somehow on his launch away from there the car had rolled off the ramp bed truck and was sitting in the road waiting quietly for it's owner's return. The owner of course had no idea his car had stayed behind, so other racers directed traffic around it until he hopefully got it figured out. One guy went for a pay phone back at the last little town and called the sheriff of our county here and told him what was going on, could he send somebody out to the usual road we all come back on near our town and flag down our empty ramp truck driver and have him return?
It all worked out fine, nothing got hurt, but there was and still is a lot of ribbing going on about abandoning your race car out in the country.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #35
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts

I always tell myself, don't be in a hurry! A number of years back sitting in the garage Friday afternoon, decide to go to the local track for some bracket action. Pull the car and open trailer( 4200# o/sa Bel Air wagon) out of the barn , its ready to go, grab some stuff and head down the road, down hwy, over Peace bridge, clear customs, over to Lancaster. Get pitted, go to unload, look down at hitch, NO THROUGH PIN and HAIR PIN in the ball reciever! Safety chains on though. Put a spare 3/4 bolt in, checked underwear for debris, wen't some rounds, headed home, bought a lottery ticket at the first store. Didn't win anything, damn glad I didn't lose anything. How the hell that reciever didn't come out , I'll never know.

d
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #36
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

Good stories being told here. Let's hear some more.
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #37
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Interesting or Funny Car Stories

Some stuff, when you look back on it, is enough to absolutely terrify a person just to think about it.Not only were we fortunate, but so was everybody around us.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #38
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,048 Times in 762 Posts

I don't know if this is legit but my source is solid.

Back in the late seventies a well known Pennsylvania team of two brothers who raced a blue Super Stock Camaro arrived at Maple Grove only to discover the car was not in the trailer as they both assumed the other had loaded it up!

Last edited by Frank Castros; 12-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #39
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

Sorry folks this is a long one.
In the late 60's my brother had a 'Speed Shop' in Glendale Arizona. We sponsored a couple of cars all racing AHRA, what else, Arizona 60's and 70's.

One of the cars running out of our shop was a 57 Chev 2 door wagon, 283, 2bbl, 4 speed, owned by a guy named Harry Larson. The car was really fast and had won a bunch of local races. One week prior to the Winternationals at Beeline, Mel Larson had a tune up race at his track northwest of Phoenix, later to be Speedworld.

We just completed some maintenance on Harry's car and loaded it up. Harry had a POS single axle trailer that was just one step up from flat towing. For some reason lost on me now, he borrowed our shop van to tow with, Ford Econoline all jacked up to look cool. Once the trailer and car were hooked up there was zero tounge weight. Not to worry he's only going 25 miles or so.

Off Harry goes headed out to Mel's for the tune up race. An hour later we get a phone call, Harry rolled the trailer with the car on. Luckily the hitch twisted off the van and it stayed upright but the car was a mess. A few hours later a tow truck shows up with the trailer, the car was still tied down and never came loose.

Now what? In those days we were pretty resourceful. Harry's dad owned a used car lot in downtown Phoenix and probably knew more car people at that time than anyone around. Harry's dad made a few calls and found a 2 dr wagon for sale in south Phx, it was even white like the old one. We had the new wagon in our shop Monday morning. Four days until the Winternationals.

Calling it a new wagon is being generous, it was rough but all there. We decided the best way to go about this was to remove the bodys off of the frames and switch them. We borrowed some camper jacks, jacked both cars up and switched chassis. I remember it was a shakey setup at best. There were a bunch of us working on the car all day and night finally finishing Thursday night.

We borrowed a trailer, got a truck to tow with and Harry took the car out to the Beeline for the Winternationals. Untested the car ran identical to the old car. Not only that but he won class, and Top Stock Eliminator. Which is the equivalent to winning S/SS nowadays.
lots of fond memories of those days.
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #40
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Back in the mid-80's somebody took a race track picture of me changing water pumps on a race car, with 7 of my buddies standing around looking under the hood. Friend who ran a NAPA parts store got hold of it and hung it up at the counter with the caption "How many Mopar guys does it take to change a water pump?" ...geez

My benevolent cop story occurs one morning on the commute to work. I had taken my 454 Chevelle. It was a street car but still pretty potent so when I merged onto the highway it was empty so I rolled into it pretty good. Was at 120 when I crested the hill and a Tennessee Highway Patrolman was sitting on the side of the road. It was a lady and I could plainly see a steaming cup of coffee(?) in her hand. She must have just poured it because she never moved....bullet dodged.

Frank's brother story reminds me of a couple of brothers who raced a Camaro in the Knoxville area and hauled it on a low slung open trailer. It had a huge box on the trailer and also tall fenders so they left the car in neutral and just pushed it the last couple of feet. They got interrupted somehow and each thought the other had strapped the car down. They proceeded to the track only to discover when they made the sharp turn in there was no car. They backtracked over 20 miles and found the car in the median of a divided four lane highway. The car had simply came off and rolled to a stop. No significant damage so they loaded it back up and raced it that day.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote