HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series

Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Barnes and Stoneman take event wins in TNT Super Series!

Barnes and Stoneman take event wins in TNT Super Series double header

Average car count in 2013 is over 30!

Another very strong turnout in the Joe’s Transmission TNT Super Series with 33 cars on day one and 28 cars on day two of the western New York double-header August 23-24. Caistorville, Ontario's Ted Barnes won on Friday at Elegant Builders Raceway Park and Jamie Stoneman from Clarence, New York won at Empire Dragway on Saturday.

Friday August 23 - Results
Ted Barnes returned to the TNTSS winner's circle on Friday August 23rd, marching through a 33 car field to victory. After qualifying seventh, Barnes met up with John Cira in round one. Cira had the tree .510 to .525 but let Barnes take the stripe running 7.013 to a losing 7.037.

Round two saw a staging battle between Barnes and Sam LoVetro Jr. Once the tree came down, LoVetro had a .004 advantage. At the big end with both running too fast, Barnes won with a 6.9829 to LoVetro's 6.9820.

Past TNTSS Champion Dave Surmatchewski was up next. Barnes had three at the tree (.510 to a .513) and carried it through to the stripe, running a perfect 7.000 to Surmatchewski's 7.005.

Round four saw Jim Thomson go red, moving Barnes into the semi's against Harris Phelps. There, Barnes was .515 to Phelps' .532 and took the round with a 7.017 to a 6.999.

That left Chris VanBaalen in the final round. At the green, Barnes was behind .511 to .507 but he drove around VanBaalen and took the stripe running 7.017 to a losing 7.022, lighting the final beacon of the night with a margin of victory of only .002 seconds.

“This win is for my mom. She’s had a tough go these past six months and I’m so happy she’s able to share this with us!” said Barnes. “I want to thank my wife Cathy for putting up with all this and my kids Cassidy and Jackson. Jack is here tonight and he was here for my last TNTSS win, so it’s safe to say I will be bringing him next week!" he added. "My dad (Bill) couldn't be here tonight but I was texting him round by round and getting his 'clap, clap, clap' responses!"

Barnes said the car performed flawlessly all night long. "I have to thank Pat Boniferro for helping me with the car tonight and Peter Bollella who just had a new baby boy!"

He was also quick to thank the team at Performance Improvements. "PI has been our partner for over 20 years. Racing competitively at this level would be very difficult without the expertise and support from the people at Performance Improvements. I also want to thank Scott Conrad for flawless engine work, F&M Signs, Top Quality Trans, Al's Radiator, Hoosier Tire Canada, Altalab Instrument and MSD Ignition for their partnership."

In addition to racing in the series, Barnes is also Director of Operations for the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series. "This is the seventh year for the series and I just can’t thank everyone enough including all the people who race in and support this series, especially Joe Boniferro. I also want to thank tonight's sponsors Mel and Tara of The Sister Act Band and all the people who come together all year long to make this the most popular and most competitive sportsman series in the country."

Barnes has been running his 1972 Datsun 510 since the late 80's. With a 383 small block Chevrolet for power, the car is capable of ET's in the 10.30 range.

Specialty Awards - August 23
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Jeff Sobczynski (Depew, NY) with a 7.000
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Joe Karosik (Depew, NY) with a 7.006
•Elegant Builders Raceway Park FREE PASS – Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦John Cira (Rochester, NY) with a .510

Saturday August 24 - Results
Saturday August 24th at Empire Dragway saw 28 cars qualify for first round with Jamie Stoneman emerging victorious. After qualifying in twelfth spot, he took out Greg Kerl in round one when Kerl went red by .003. Round two saw Harry Phelps also go red and Stoneman run it out to a 10.905.

In round three, Stoneman used a .007 starting line advantage to push Jeff Sobczynski under the index to a 10.890.

A crisp ten thousandths package for Stoneman in the semi's (.508 and 10.902) was not needed as Mark Glomb went .499 red, advancing Stoneman to the final round.

There he met up with Andrew Stirk. Both drivers off the line clean, Stoneman .522 and Stirk .543, Stoneman never looked back and took the win running dead-on three (10.903) to Stirk's 10.910.

"First, what a great way to start vacation!" said Stoneman. "Thanks to Joe's Transmission, the TNT Super Series, and The Sister Act Band. It's been a rough start this year but I'm back with a vengeance!" This is Stoneman’s first win since he took last year’s TNTSS Race of Champions.

Stoneman has a lot of support from friends and family. "This all couldn't happen if not for my lovely wife, Heather, my father Jim Stoneman, the best crew chief Jeff Gregoire, great friend and competitor Tommy 'Subs' Coonly and all the other racers who have offered parts and assistance this season."

"I'd also like to thank Joe and Mo Passero, Wayne and Pat Sipos, and my sponsors J&S Collision, Joe Muro, Phil's Quality Auto and Jason Vitez Race Cars."

The 1993 Chevy S10 is one of the faster machines that compete in the TNTSS hitting speeds over 147 mph.

Specialty Awards - August 24
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Gary Saska (Ingersoll, Ontario) with a 10.900
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Sam LoVetro Jr (Webster, NY) and Greg Kerl (Williamsville, NY) both with a 10.903
•Empire Dragway FREE PASS – Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Dean Olschewske (Williamson, NY) with a .505

Stay close to www.tntsuperseries.com for all the latest information on the most popular sportsman drag racing series in the country.