HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #351
Ronnie Hamlin

Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Original Hemi Cuda Info.......

Herbs pro stock number was 211 if my old memory is working correctly today
Ronnie Hamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #352
Terry Drinkwater

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Not trying to knock anyone off subject here, but I would like to share my Hemi Cuda story with you. Back in about 1980 or so my brother and I purchased a Hemi Cuda from Billy "Big Deal" Jacobs in Enterprise, AL. It was maroon and was lettered "Chopper" in faded gold leaf at the time if I remember correctly. It was represented to us at the time as as ex-Sox & Martin car. It was possibly a factory Hemi car as it had the fiberglass front end, lightweight doors with pull-up lexan windows and the lightweight van seats. We didn't really care about that, we were just mopar bracket racers at the time, ('68 Roadrunner) and wanted to move up in the food chain! Back then the whole Hemi car thing was not the huge deal it is today. My bother owned a small business and I was a line mechanic at a GM dealer and the price was right, so we jumped at the chance to campaign a Hemi car in the IHRA combined eliminator classes, which were popular in the southeast at the time. The car was a leaf spring set up with auto trans and ran 6.50's in the eight mile and 9.90's in the quarter with nothing but routine maintenance and fresh tires and plugs.( a lot of plugs!) After a couple of years, money got tight and the car was sold to Frank Barnett who turned it into a 440 wedge Super Gas car. I have no idea what happened to it after that, just wondered if anyone has any info. It was painted white with a red Chrysler pentastar under our names on the doors when we raced it and I think Frank kept it white when he had it. We ran into Warren Barnett a few years ago and in the bench racing that followed, totally forgot to ask him about it. Wish I had known then what I know now and I would have bought my brother's half and put it in storage. Big regret in life right there. Sorry for the long first post, but I could have rambled on even longer!
Thanks,
Terry

Last edited by Terry Drinkwater; 06-01-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Terry Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #353
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

Terry
I am likely riding with Frank to Mississippi this week to pick up a toter and trailer. I will try to remember to ask about the car.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #354
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #355
Terry Drinkwater

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Way View Post
Terry
I am likely riding with Frank to Mississippi this week to pick up a toter and trailer. I will try to remember to ask about the car.
OK, Stewart. Also ask him what they did with that fresh motor(never fired) that was in the car then. He did very well on that deal! LOL!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #356
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am not sure what the deal was aside from what I was told - if you see pics of this car and Gary Ostrich's Cuda from Indy - I think that this was 69 - Chrysler had them run in the gas classes - an auto & stick car with fuel injection - Chrysler was probably trying to sweep the sportsman classes at Indy - Ronnie also ran an S/S Barracuda at Indy that year.
Mark J

I'm pretty sure that Sox & Martin wanted to run this Barracuda in A/MP, but it weighed in 'too' light.

So, they swapped on a Hilborn Injector System {short tube} and ran it in B/G.

[/QUOTE]
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #357
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Terry,
I PM'd you about this - I know of a red Hemi Cuda that was supposedly sold to Billy - I am guessing that this was the car - if so, it was an original S/S car - I have the history back to the original owner. I would really like to hear more about this car and any pics if you have them.
Thanks,
Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

QUOTE=Terry Drinkwater;433381]Not trying to knock anyone off subject here, but I would like to share my Hemi Cuda story with you. Back in about 1980 or so my brother and I purchased a Hemi Cuda from Billy "Big Deal" Jacobs in Enterprise, AL. It was maroon and was lettered "Chopper" in faded gold leaf at the time if I remember correctly. It was represented to us at the time as as ex-Sox & Martin car. It was possibly a factory Hemi car as it had the fiberglass front end, lightweight doors with pull-up lexan windows and the lightweight van seats. We didn't really care about that, we were just mopar bracket racers at the time, ('68 Roadrunner) and wanted to move up in the food chain! Back then the whole Hemi car thing was not the huge deal it is today. My bother owned a small business and I was a line mechanic at a GM dealer and the price was right, so we jumped at the chance to campaign a Hemi car in the IHRA combined eliminator classes, which were popular in the southeast at the time. The car was a leaf spring set up with auto trans and ran 6.50's in the eight mile and 9.90's in the quarter with nothing but routine maintenance and fresh tires and plugs.( a lot of plugs!) After a couple of years, money got tight and the car was sold to Frank Barnett who turned it into a 440 wedge Super Gas car. I have no idea what happened to it after that, just wondered if anyone has any info. It was painted white with a red Chrysler pentastar under our names on the doors when we raced it and I think Frank kept it white when he had it. We ran into Warren Barnett a few years ago and in the bench racing that followed, totally forgot to ask him about it. Wish I had known then what I know now and I would have bought my brother's half and put it in storage. Big regret in life right there. Sorry for the long first post, but I could have rambled on even longer!
Thanks,
Terry[/QUOTE]
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #358
Terry Drinkwater

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Mark, your mailbox is full! But, no I don't have any pics of the original paint job when we got it. As best I remember, you could call it red, a very deep red (sorta faded) with Cragar Super Trick wheels. I do have some as we raced it, but will have to get them scanned before I can upload.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #359
mike koester 66 nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the pictures of the sox and martin cuda running b gas at indy in 1969 and then don carlton driving the same car in pro stock at the winters in 1970, the first year for the new class. i do believe this was the little thumper cuda that s/m bought from carlton. also one reason s/m ran b/ gas at indy with injectors instead of carbs is for an advantage as jenkins and schartman were also in b/gas along with jim zakia who won the class.they were running
to showcase pro stock for the next year for nhra and fans. this was the same year as mini class runs to determine the class winners in s/s. as a young 18
year old i was at indy and saw this first hand.

mike koester 66 nova
mike koester 66 nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #360
Terry Drinkwater

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

What ever happened to the Steve Bagwell Hemi Cuda? I know it went out to California to Jimmy DeFrank and Cohen. Where now? It was sitting in the shop at Barnett's when I went to get the motor freshened. The difference between his stuff and our low buck operation was depressing! I got to look over all three of his cars and realized there was no way we could ever compete with cars like that. That probably led to the decision to sell ours and I went back to driving for some of the local bracket racers and outlaw pro stockers.