HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Matt Warner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ford C4 valvebody

Anyone know if there is a valvebody available for a C4 transmission that has a clean neutral, and who makes one? Is it ok to put a C4 in neutral after crossing the finish line while slowing down, without a clean neutral? I am getting mixed info on this. What is the danger of clicking it into neutral without a clean neutral valvebody? Any info on this would be much appreciated.
Matt Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Ford C4 valvebody

--

Last edited by Bill Harris; 03-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Bob Nottingham

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Talk to Joel at Joels on Joy in Detriot. He did a electric switch to neutral; Works great ,in a 9.50s SS
Bob Nottingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Steve Sullivan

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

While I'm not sure what "clean" neutral means to you, I'm assuming that it means you don't have to go through any other gear positions to get to neutral.

I have used both forward and reverse pattern valve bodies with equal success. With the forward pattern valve body you have a clean neutral as all you do is bump it in from 3rd.
Be sure you get a valve body that uses the upper half from an early model C-4 ('65-'66).
I have one from Joel and it does have the earlieir model valve body. My experience has been that a late model valve body will always have some "flare"on 2-3 shift. Even when I could get one to shift with minimal flare, it wasn't long before it would get progressively worse as clearances changed. It's an inherent timing problem in the late model vlave body, so I'm told.

If you want to use the reverse pattern, find an old Hurst AutoStick Shifter. It allows you to "bypass" the ratchet and slide from high gear directly to neutral. It has the reverse lockout so you won't accidently over reach and find yourself in deep do-do.
I have had mine since I purchased it in the early 80's. It can be "tightened up" when it gets some wear will feel like new. You can still get new cables that fit it. It's been in two race cars over the years and has got to have a million gear shifts on it. I would think you might be able to track one down and "tune it up".

As far as putting it in neutral, I have been doing so in my stocker for the past 10 years along with shutting off the motor and coasting to stop. Upon off season inspection I have seen no ill effects from doing this.

Last edited by Steve Sullivan; 03-08-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added something I forgot
Steve Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Matt Warner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have been going to neutral from high gear with my current forward pattern valvebody and wasnt sure if I was risking damaging anything and was getting conflicting information on this. I am considering going to a reverse pattern valvebody and was hoping I could get one that will let you go to some sort of neutral from high gear still.
Matt Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
mopar jeff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sullivan View Post
Be sure you get a valve body that uses the upper half from an early model C-4 ('65-'66).
I have one from Joel and it does have the earlieir model valve body. My experience has been that a late model valve body will always have some "flare"on 2-3 shift. Even when I could get one to shift with minimal flare, it wasn't long before it would get progressively worse as clearances changed. It's an inherent timing problem in the late model vlave body, so I'm told.

I believe this to be true, as I have had the same experience. The early ones don't get the flare.
mopar jeff is offline   Reply With Quote