HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #51
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Bill......On that model battery charging output is an option. It would have had to be ordered with B183 which is a 10 amp battery charging output.

The ID label shows a lot of info and I would look there to see if B183 is listed anywhere. If not the only other way to tell if it has battery charging is to run it and put a voltmeter on the battery after it is running. Battery voltage should rise if it does. If it does not it will slowly drop.

If it does not have that option you have to make other provisions to charge the generator battery. Motorhomes and RV's often have a DC converter and they use that to charge the battery.

If you do not have battery charging and want to isolate the generator and it's battery from the rest of the RV all you need to do is add a small external type automotive charger that runs on 120 volts and is connected to the battery. Any small charger with a 5-10 amp output will work.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #52
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Thanks guys for this forum! I have noticed that you recommend replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter in many of your fixes. Where do we get parts for the Onan generators? Do local parts stores carry them? Jim

Nobody? Anybody know where to get Onan genset parts? Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #53
Painter

Liked 157 Times in 44 Posts

Jim, Cummins owns Onan or vice-versa. You should be able to find a Cummins dealer locally. I got some parts from Cummins Jacksonville one time when we on the road moving a boat. They have several lacations, some are down in the middle of the state.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #54
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Thanks Painter. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #55
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

And dig real deep in your pockets --Onan replacement part prices are EXORBITANT !!!!! Your gonna need the title to your car ,pick of the litter and your first born to buy even the smallest part!!!! My experience it was cheaper to buy a non running gen and take off the part I needed---- it was a small carb choke spring and choke plate and then turn around and sell the gen for what I paid for it!!! ended up getting the parts for free---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #56
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Onan 10K Diesel Generator. What (in hours) is the lifespan of these units / when do they get to the point where they start having the kind of problems. Where its better to replace the unit rather than fix it? Just asking out of curosiusity as mine only has around 1200 hours on it. For future reference.
Thanks
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #57
Don Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
Onan 10K Diesel Generator. What (in hours) is the lifespan of these units / when do they get to the point where they start having the kind of problems. Where its better to replace the unit rather than fix it? Just asking out of curosiusity as mine only has around 1200 hours on it. For future reference.
Thanks

I have seen them with 20,000 hours on them. Most need fairly expensive generator related parts around 10,000 hours. New ones are $10,500 so fixing them is a good idea.

Engines are good for as long as you take care of them.
Don Higgins - Super Comp #360H
Don Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #58
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I have not seen any Onan Diesel RV units with more than about 8-10 thousand hours myself. They generally don't get used anywhere near that many hours for most owners. Yes the generator ends will likely need parts or repairs more than the engines. If you service the engine regularly and do preventative maintenance it will usually not fail. I have seen deterioration of the generator ends from weathering and just age. Engines are Kubotas or Isuzus and very reliable. 8-10-12 kw Onans are very good units and give thousands of hours of service.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #59
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

OK thanks guys. My plan is to trade my toter before it gets too much age on it and starts giving me problems.Right now its still like brand new. So I really just needed to know for future reference. Mines got the Kubota engine. Ive been changing oil, oil filter and fuel filter every 200 hours or less sometimes and before the off season. Have not had a bit of trouble with it. Now the gas powered generator that was in my old trailer before I got the stacker I have now. That was a POS from day 1. LOL Never having one of those again. LOL
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #60
Hit-Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Higgins View Post
I have been battling a 10 K Onan generator that will run all day at times then slowly shut down every 30 minutes at night. The code it generates is 36.

I put a new fuel filter, air filter, checked all tubing for plastic bags and changed the oil and filter. The engine is the Isuzu. The only thing I can say that may help is the fuel pump return line stops pulsing when the engine was about to die. When I pushed the return line over to the side to restrict it the engine sprang back to life.

I think the fuel pump isn't pumping or the board isn't telling the pump to continue pumping. I will replace the pump this week but do you have any other ideas? Slate Cummings was having the exact same problem this week but he replaced the pump and it still slowly dies every 30 minutes.
Don I was doing a search and seen this old thread. Did you replace the fuel pump on your 10k onan and do you remember how it came out was it difficult ?

If you could e-mail me at 1952rrc@gmail.com regarding I would appreciate it
Hit-Man is offline   Reply With Quote