Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #41
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5848 View Post
The hour meter has 232 hrs on it and the unit does look to be in good condition. What is the noise decibel on one of these units? There are asking $500 for the unit.
Thanks

Buy it.....They are very quiet. They made about 3 different styles of mufflers and you would need a below the floor mount for a trailer.

They run at 1800 rpm and that helps keep the sound down and is also why they lasted a very long time usually. They can go for thousands of hours with proper service. Sounds like you found a good one but it should be run tested....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 02-18-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 AM   #42

Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts

Thanks for your help on this, one last question can you tell me the age of unit by these numbers.
model # 4.0BGE-1R/26100E
Serial # J870G.
5848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #43
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5848 View Post
Thanks for your help on this, one last question can you tell me the age of unit by these numbers.
model # 4.0BGE-1R/26100E
Serial # J870G.
The newer machines have the build date as the first 4 numbers of the serial number.

J-87 may be the month and year.....but I am not sure on that.

Oct. 1987...possibly
Old 03-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #44
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

looking at a used onan model 4BGEFA 26100J ---says he has been having problems starting the unit also when he had it last running the engine would rev up then go down then rev up again---- not much to go on but any ideas on a fix & is this a good unit??? Price is almost a steal but do not want to buy a money pit either-- whats a fair price on a used one--- Thanx & Regards FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #45
Don Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a follow up on my problems with an Onan 10K generator.

The generator would run for around 30 minutes and shut down. Code was always 36. We checked fuel flow and fuel pump power which was fine. Finally I shook the E1 fuel pump wire on the circuit board connector and it shut off. Checked connector and it was good. Checked the board connections and they were tight.

What is happening is the vibration from the generator is causing a connection issue on the board. Needs a board but they are $800.

So I decided to wire around the fuel pump circuit and put a separate wire to power the pump. If I had more time I would have wired it into the relays already inside the sheet metal but it appears everything is run off grounding not positive signal.

Here is what I did, put a small switch on the dash next to the generator start switch. Pulled power from the lighter circuit and put another fuse in line. Ran the wire down to the generator and connected to the fuel pump wire. So when I start the generator I also flip the switch on the fuel pump circuit. Now runs all day no more problems. Total amount the fix was $15.

When you shut off the generator you just flip the fuel pump circuit off also. Even if you don't it will still shut off.
Don Higgins - Super Comp #360H
Don Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #46
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Don the fuel pump power circuit on many Onan PC boards has this same problem. I have replaced countless A-1 controllers as that is what Onan calls them.

They routinely run for some time and than shutdown.....and may or may not restart. Diesels as well as gas engine units.

Your solution is fine....but obviously you have to remember to shut off the pump switch.

Sometimes the pin connections are the problem but more often it is internal to the PC board....heat seems to be the problem....The hotter it is out the more likely they are to fail.....
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #47
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
looking at a used onan model 4BGEFA 26100J ---says he has been having problems starting the unit also when he had it last running the engine would rev up then go down then rev up again---- not much to go on but any ideas on a fix & is this a good unit??? Price is almost a steal but do not want to buy a money pit either-- whats a fair price on a used one--- Thanx & Regards FED 387
Yes they are good units but older. They have not made those for well over 10 years. Unstable engines are almost always a carb issue. Dirt inside it will cause problems. They are also very sensitive to adjustments of the mixture as well as the governor mechanism.....

Like all small engines....if they sit with gas in them and are not used you are going to have problems....It is a very common problem and adding fuel stabilizer is not always going to prevent this issue.

There is no way to say if it is worth buying without seeing it and doing an evaluation of what it may need.

Looks tell a lot but sometimes they don't look all that good but work fine. Sometimes they look good but have serious problems that would be costly to repair.

Get it running.....try to stabilize it....see if it has normal AC output....Go from there...
Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #48
BMFRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a motorhome with a Guardian RV 5500 gas generator by Generac and it is leaking oil. It sounds fine but the oil runs out in a stream. The generator only has 198 hrs. Any ideas. Thanks, Bob
BMFRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #49
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Thanks guys for this forum! I have noticed that you recommend replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter in many of your fixes. Where do we get parts for the Onan generators? Do local parts stores carry them? Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #50
396chevy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am replacing a generator that had its own internal "chassis" battery charger. Its battery was totaly isolated from the rest of the trailers "house" batterys which was powering up the 1600 watt power invertor and the 12 lighting tasks of the trailer. We are now installing a onan 6K 6HDKAH-1044K quiet diesel gen set. Do I need to run some type of power isolater from the "house" batterys to the "chassis" battery keep the chassis battery charged to run the generator fuel pump and starting system? Thanks Bill
396chevy is offline   Reply With Quote