HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #11
Jerry Terry

Liked 448 Times in 132 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Tell Us About Setting A Record

I can remember when I couldn't wait to get to the mail box to get it now I don't miss it would rather get on Class Racer and read what's going on. Larry I'm 72 and did set a few records and enjoyed it now if I could only remember where I put them.

Jerry
Retired 3490 3492 STK SS SST
Jerry Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
Jared Jordan

Liked 224 Times in 69 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan
Default Re: Tell Us About Setting A Record

Friday, November 5, 2004. Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I was driving Grandpa's 1965 Plymouth Belvedere in SS/BA. Earlier in the year, we had put the car in the 8's at Mission Raceway Park, but the record was (and had been...) held by John Armstrong in his Camaro (Brian Oakes' ride now...) and we weren't quick enough to outrun it.

But...fast forward to November and the record had reset to the SS/BA minimum. I ended up setting it at an 8.92 @ 146 on my first qualifying pass. It was a single because Gallina's Regal broke. I was .009 on the tree, too.

The backup run was what made the story cool. To that point in my driving career, I'd never run next to Grandpa. He had set the SS/AH record that same morning. Our backup runs ended up being side-by-side and I've got the photo of us leaving together framed with my record certificate. He had an identical frame with his record certificate.

Because he knew I was .009 on my first pass, he must have decided he was going to try and leave on me. I'll never forget seeing the timeslip. I looked at his side first and saw .006 and thought I'd had another good light, until I realized I was looking at the wrong lane. Looked over and I was .000. Old guy thought he was gonna steal one from me. It was bad enough I had to look at the back of the Barracuda driving away from me for 9 seconds!

Can't forget E1 from that race either. I Forrest Gump'd my way to another .000 and ran .018 over. Only to lose to Robert Burgin by .0002. He was .005 and .013 over.

I had the record for about 3 weeks. Wasn't long after that Armstrong went to Montgomery (I think...) and put the record down to an 8.83.

Last edited by Jared Jordan; 12-30-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Jared Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
rick winchester

Liked 190 Times in 31 Posts

Set the I/SA record at Indy n/o in 2005 , Had to teardown for the second time in 4 weeks after doing it at the US Nationals. No problem here, its the way it should be. Travis just smiled and said I better get started ,when I tried to get out of it by saying the rtv wasnt dry from Indy. It was well worth it,one of my best moments racing. I dont know who reset the record but know that Mr Tueton ran almost 5 tenths quicker the next year. I guess I didnt have the right horse for the race. Still worth it . Rick. 11.32@115.81
Old 12-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

I have set two records in my life. The first one was an AHRA record at the 1971 Winternationals. We were runner up in SS, with a 1962 Ford Galaxie, 390, two fours, auto. The class was Formula 1 G/SA. 12.80 @ 110.00 mph. I was 20 years old.
I did not race between 1971 and 2017. I did go with friends sometimes so I tried to keep up.
Second one was NHRA 46 years later. T/S Record was at a minimum. It was the first outing with the car after building it.
Salt Lake City August 2017. The car didn’t pass fuel check first round do to a mix up with declaring what fuel type I was using. Rookie mistake. Drained all the fuel, put in some fresh C-12, all was good.
I was really nervous about the tear down even though Gary McGlasson built the motor, I was new to the process. Passed without a problem. Quite a thrill.
My car is not the fastest T/S car in North America but we have a lot of fun.

Kelly
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYER View Post
national records died when they didnt put them in national dragster anymore that one page of paper most have been a big savings !!
Yep, they needed that one page so they could print a grainy black and white photo from a 1950's event.

I just don't understand why Nat. Dragster cannot publish the current records at least 4 times a year

Last edited by ALMACK; 12-30-2019 at 07:31 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #16
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

Part of the problem with setting records other than at an open is. Set the record on Sunday get HP on Monday. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #17
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
Part of the problem with setting records other than at an open is. Set the record on Sunday get HP on Monday. BP
So, that being said, how do you set a national record without Lead on Monday? Can't be done?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #18
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
So, that being said, how do you set a national record without Lead on Monday? Can't be done?
Set a record at an Open. Even if you don't go 1:20 under at a Divisional to set a record. And you end up going 1 under or more it will be added into your HP average. If you run a combo like mine that not a lot of others run. It can hurt your average. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #19
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

First record was at the very first Gainesville divisional in '69 in D/S. The last record was in '06 at SGMSP in D/FIA. Several in between but one of the most memorable was in '71, I set the O/S record at the Gainesville divisional at around 13.45 or so, tore down and was declared legal. Communication in those days was weak to say the least and little did I know that on the same day in BG Bruce Wilkinson was setting the O/S record at 13.40 or so. I received a record certificate but it never made ND which was a big deal back then.

Jimmy Parker
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #20
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
Set a record at an Open. Even if you don't go 1:20 under at a Divisional to set a record. And you end up going 1 under or more it will be added into your HP average. If you run a combo like mine that not a lot of others run. It can hurt your average. BP
Now days, you set a record, you're torn down? No matter where you achieve it?