Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #61
David Barton
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Hemi Head Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell howes View Post
David Please NHRA told me the rule was going to say bolt holes at vavle cover surface It would make all except (bartons) good.Sorry this does not fit for you.The new heads look look good maybe 35cfm when we go buy the bolt holes.25 hp????? Can not wait to see what happens. Wendell
Wendell, I don't understand why you're getting so hostile with me. The rules were already written. You were trying to get NHRA to re-write the rules. Like you said, the rule WAS going to say..... There was no need for changes.

You're just pissed because you thought for sure we were moving our intake flanges and we weren't. It originally had nothing to do with how far they were machined. It was about the location of the holes, which I completely agree with. I can prove that because you were complaining how your valve covers should bolt onto anyone's heads. Bring them over, I'll happily bolt them on because our threads are still there. I can't say the same for others. They are busted off completely.

If you ask me, you're the guy that brought on this whole mess in the first place. It all started at the Englishtown National where every AH car had to remove their valve covers. And somehow you were the only guy that knew what they were checking for. You gave yourself away.
David Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #62
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

These are the latest two interesting amendments to the rule book as applicable to Super Stock Class:

SECTION 11: SUPER STOCK, ENGINE: 1, CYLINDER HEADS (Page 1) (2/20/2013)

"External modifications prohibited, intake side of head may not be cut into any part of valve cover bolt holes (except for SS/AH). Valve-cover bolt holes must remain unaltered and in their original location (except for SS/AH)".

SECTION 11: SUPER STOCK, ENGINE: 1, ENGINE (Page 1) (2/27/2013)

"Aftermarket crank must retain OEM configuration (i.e., billets, knife edging, narrowed/pendulum cut counterweights, etc. prohibited). Lightening of crankshaft other than normal balance job prohibited. The following are permitted: gun drilled rod and main journals, bull nosed counter weights, any size rod and main journal, additional oil passage holes for rod and main journals."

It sort of reminds me of the old Modified Eliminator rules...

Last edited by SSDiv6; 02-27-2013 at 11:04 PM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #63
boostedf22c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was SS/AH that sparked my interest into Superstock racing. Being around these cars made me want to build a superstock car, but I just didn't know what kind or how.

I knew I could never afford to build/race an AH car, but as an outsider looking in the cars are just amazingly fast for what they are, crazy if you ask me. And I always thought that was really cool. Plus the cars, themes, paint jobs, and the coooks that own them are a blast as well. You have to be a bit off of your rocker to build/race an AH car, which is why I get along with them. haha

As a fan of the SS/AH class I don't like seeing the car counts diminishing as the years pass, but it's not just this class, it's overall. I do however think that this class is definitely salvageable and definitely worth saving!! But it seems like they'll need some help from NHRA.

I know a lot of "original super stock" guys think that my car doesn't belong in the class, just like I feel than any FWD 4 cylinder car converted to a V8 RWD shouldn't be either. But that is why I was always interested in Superstock. So many classes, platforms and combinations and well built cars. Instead of having an attitude like "this isn't a real super stocker" maybe embrace it and grow as times change??? I have a feeling that is the only way for class racing to continue growing instead of dying off.

Just an opinion from a different point of view, and a tad off topic.
boostedf22c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #64
David Barton
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythorne View Post
Today's intakes are tunnel rams with offset carbs.... Crossrams have crossed runners
Hi Jay, thanks for the reminder. This is another great experience I had with NHRA's BS. I drove 3000 miles to Mission, BC to fight Harry Holton for the SS/AA record. By the way, it was an awesome experience. Definitely one of the best trips, great air, great track, great people out there.

We came to find out that NHRA was letting Holton put his carbs inline. He set the record that way. To make a long story short, we made our own version as soon as we got home. I went to the next race which was the Englishtown National Event, and was thrown out of tech by Bob Lang. I told Bob I agreed it was bogus, but the West coast gang was running the exact same setup and set a record. He said, "Not in my division".

Guess what happened next. They made a rule change after the race. Then it eventually turned into a tunnel ram. I don't blame Bob, he knew what the rules were and tried to enforce them, but was eventually overruled.
David Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #65
jaythorne

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Didn't baughman set a record with an inline first?...been a long time ago my memory may be foggy
jaythorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #66
Jared Jordan

Liked 222 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

We definitely weren't the first to run an inline. Bob Jenkins had one on their Dart long before the Ogburn/WCH days. Can't speak for Baughman.

Personally, I hate the tunnel rams. Wasn't a fan of bringing the carbs inline either. I realize rule changes help make them faster. If builders didn't "innovate," the cars might still be in the 10's. I guess I just like the idea of pulling the hood on an SS car and seeing something that resembles the factory piece beyond the valve covers.

BTW, David, that manifold you're referring to is still at the shop. I can send you a pic if you feel like waxing nostalgic. Lol

Last edited by Jared Jordan; 02-28-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Jared Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #67
wendell howes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

David The way this started was we asked NHRA if we could cut into the bolt holes at the vavle covers surface and they said no no no.They did not say this was for Barton only so I thought it was for all AH cars.One year late we are here.
wendell howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #68
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

NHRA is working on a Hemi Tech Card 2013. Will be publilshed later. Goes into much more detail. Such items as 'Distance from package shelf to required original floor'. I think 14" is the correct answer, now that 'original floor', proabably aint none out there. And that is one of the easy questions.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #69
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barton View Post

Our heads are simple. We cut them back as far as we can while keeping the original valve cover and intake bolt holes.

David Barton
#1. David, ya'll keep those in the trailers with the cars or back at the shop? I know, your a French model. Bon Jour

pitoyable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	46330  

Last edited by Spyphish; 07-22-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #70
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Distance from a line 90 degrees from end of front subframe rail to firewall from a point 12" above end of subframe rail. Distance between frame rails (a-body, b-body-fabricated, imaginary). Distance from spindle center to top or inner fender. Configuration of inner fender panel. Lots of good stuff here. Going to Houston. Will send more as I read it.