Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #41
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballer View Post
Ed, all the other guys I've talked with say you're a legend.
Only in my own mind.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #42
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
Good luck and have fun.

Speaking of frame modifications and what's legal; this may not be; from post #26: "I had to leave the 4 cyl original coil springs in place for now until I get something figured out, may see about a re-work on my spare upper A-arms I have from the '80 car to move the spring perches inward at some later time."
Others would know better than me, it's hard to tell what's okay these days.
Yeah...very much appreciate that observation, I better get a ruling on that before I do it. Not really changing what the upper A-arm does, just moving an existing welded on piece closer to the middle of it so the smaller diameter spring will 'hook' into it. We'll see what they say on that when the time comes.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #43
Pinballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom keedle View Post
i'm sure this isn't the ranch you're talking about but....http://www.ramblerranch.com/rr/
Hey Tom,
I was being somewhat facitious when I used those terms, they're ones some of my friends use in conversation, and the picture on here of those nice early Ramblers was -certainly- not my place!
Try to imagine a little ol' country salvage yard with 30 cars out back in the bramble patches, a few decent driver-types lining the driveway on both sides, a big pole building with 2 really nice collector cars hidden inside and 300+ pinball machines blocking them in right now. There is a wife in the 1880's one room schoolhouse we re-fashioned into a country home we like to call "Little Shack on the Prairie", and she wishes ALL of my stuff was gone. There you have my place.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #44
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballer View Post
Hey Tom,
I was being somewhat facitious when I used those terms, they're ones some of my friends use in conversation, and the picture on here of those nice early Ramblers was -certainly- not my place!
Try to imagine a little ol' country salvage yard with 30 cars out back in the bramble patches, a few decent driver-types lining the driveway on both sides, a big pole building with 2 really nice collector cars hidden inside and 300+ pinball machines blocking them in right now. There is a wife in the 1880's one room schoolhouse we re-fashioned into a country home we like to call "Little Shack on the Prairie", and she wishes ALL of my stuff was gone. There you have my place.
it's all good....I've been to the one I've posted, believe me, 30 cars ain't even a dent in what he's got it's really a "must see" for amc guys..he DID get hailed on bad last year and I haven't been down there for a year or 2...
Old 01-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #45
Pinballer

(Still in November sometime)
Back to the build, or teardown--whatever the situation demands...

While the auto shop bay was tied up, I focused some attention on planning the next steps to go through on this car. Still need to get the peripheral useless stuff off of it, like wiper pieces, heater box and fan, and various other unneeded weighty pieces not important like body dum dum and interior insulation around the firewall.
Will also need to replace the wood-grained looking dashboard pieces with some brushed aluminum looking pieces like the AMX model would have had. Probably not a big deal, the tech guys most likely would never care, but if it's going to be called an AMX we might as well get it as right as we can.
The other thing was how to proceed with the engine build. For the time being, I'm going to leave the '80 car engine alone and put it into the build car in order to accomplish two things:
1) I need to get this car mobile as soon as I can so as not to be a burden to the shop I'm so graciously allowed to work in.
2) Doing this will allow me to iron out other driveline components while the car can move on its own power. Makes it possible to do some initial testing on track this spring to find out some things too, like what size front tires to run so I can cut a light in this pig! Also gives me the chance to weigh it race ready, and record all the parts changes I make in a gradual manner and determine what helps and what doesn't.
All this will mean pulling another 258 2 bbl engine and automatic from a 4 door 1979 Concord I have out back that will be sent off for some real lovin' while the mule motor is propelling the race car. The Concord was destined for scrap anyway, so nothing good is being destroyed, and it clears out another space back there. Have to wait for the ground to freeze in order to make getting it out easier though.

So, thought I'd give the mule motor a little coat of AMC blue and get things spiffier looking for the re-install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20151125_154520.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	32110   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20151125_154501.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	32111  
Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #46
Pinballer

(Thanksgiving weekend)

The heater box assembly is now out of the car-- what an ordeal! Took the better part of a whole afternoon.
Unbelievable amount of screws, dash pieces, steering column drop, etc etc, even some rivets had to get sheared off. I have sympathy for anybody on the auto shop clock working on switching out a heater core in one of these.

Tackled the wiper piece removal too, and continued on stripping out useless weight like the sound deadener, cabling, some wires behind the dash, the speakers, and various other little things in the engine compartment. We're to this point now.

The result picture is showing the dashboard pieces stacked all over the top of the car and a firewall that's getting cleaner all the time. Got a few wires to select and keep, most will go away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn-8.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	32113  
Old 01-10-2016, 02:02 AM   #47
Pinballer

(catching up into mid December)

After more engine bay clean-up and some more removal of unnecessary items in there, I washed it all off with prep-sol, touched up some areas that were crying for paint, and got things ready for the re-install of the mule motor. New motor and trans mounts went on, and the cherry picker came out. This is a real shoe-horn process with the trans attached, but if you go slow and keep re-adjusting the angles, it just does slide in.
You'll notice in the pictures that I tried to fabricate a more AMX-ish looking grille, it was a mesh type from the factory, but mine just isn't doing much for me. Nothing like having an original, so I'll keep looking.
After the drivetrain was installed, it kind of perks you up some to keep going harder. However, with the prime season for the pinball business I do, Christmas season, I'll be torn away from this project some for a while playing Santa and delivering some customer machines. When that calms down some it'll be back to build time. Need to get the dashboard all put back together next, and then finish up the front suspension rebuild on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn-9.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	32120   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn-10.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	32121   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn-14.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	32122  

Liked
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #48
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

If you have not do so, you need to become a member of these sites:

http://amccars.net
http://theamcforum.com

Both sites have classified forums much like ClassRacer.com where you can post what you are looking for. Also, the AMC enthusiasts seem to be very helpful to their own.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #49
Steve OB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Steve OB

Looking good Brian!!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #50
Pinballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve OB View Post
Looking good Brian!!!!

You could be doing this too Steve! I got a feeling your future AMC Stocker is going to be running a -lot- faster than the one I'm building though.
When your time comes, I'll be cheering YOU on.

For those who don't know, Steve and I used to tangle occasionally on dragstrips all over the midwest about 25 years ago. He is one tough cookie in the AMC world!