HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-08-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
Jim Hawkins

Liked 109 Times in 32 Posts
Default 67 camaro center drag link

The steering drag link on my 67 camaro super stock car is approx. 1.125 diameter. I have a replacement here that is smaller diameter, approx. .950. Looking at all areas to lighten this car and was not sure if this is the right place to remove weight or I am better off with the larger drag link for safety reasons. I looked at a few other early camaros and all had the smaller drag link. All small block cars.
What application called for the larger link?
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:47 AM   #2
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: 67 camaro center drag link

Check the RockAuto.com web-catalog; they show the 1 1/8th inch diameter center-link for all versions of the 67-69 Camaro, L-6 to 396 V-8. Classic Industries also shows the same diameter center-link, GM Part Number 3953221. MOOG doesn't seem to list a replacement center-link.

Just a point of personal preference, but I don't think I'd want to start my weight savings program with any of the steering linkage. If the factory spec'd the 1 1/8th as the OEM HD-fitment for the big V-8, that's probably the one to use.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 678 Times in 262 Posts

I found a 6 cyl Camaro that had a smaller link than the big one on my 69 Z car... I think it was like 7 or 8 lbs diff. I never had a problem with it and ran on some pretty bad tracks back in those days. tracks were not so bad, but shut downs and return roads were real bad.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

My '67 Camaro (Z28 then 396) had one of those along with several other selected factory "lightweight" parts. It is probably still on the car unless the Ficaccis replaced it.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

GM listed 2 part numbers for this part---the lightweight version GENERALLY came in Chevy II/Camaro/Firebird/and some BOP versions of the Chevy II platform etc cars with 4 cylinder/6 cylinder engines some small blocks and MANUAL steering ---the HD link came on cars equipped with any or all of these options BBC/PS/AC/HD suspension or Z-28 versions of cars--- later on GM opted to use only ONE link to simplify things----you might luck out and be able to find a .950 link in the supply system somewhere but in all likelihood if you currently purchase a new replacement link from anybody after all these years you are going to get a 1 1/8 link.
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Jim Hawkins

Liked 109 Times in 32 Posts

I just checked the replacement link I purchased a few years ago and I was mistaken, it is the larger link also. Checked a original 69 z28 with manual steering and it has the smaller link. A 67 I looked at with power steer also had the small link. It seems to be unclear just when the larger one was used but yes I believe any new one purchased today will be the larger one.
I weighed the large one I have and it weighs 9lbs.
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 228 Times in 78 Posts

Jim…I don't believe you would run into a Safety Compromise if you were to use the .950" link. They have both been designed to adequately to serve their purpose, with a lot more material than necessary. The .950" link is not only lighter, it will also provide a little more room at the oil pan for clearance with or without a custom pan. In 1968 some Nova's (Chevy II) came with a .750 link, that is even lighter. MB
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote