HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 05-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #101
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: My 88 Olds wagone U/SA 10 Pennies

Jeff, what if you look into some different valves for the head that is to small? There are different valves that have a relief machined into the face of the valve, this might help slightly, not 6cc's but some. Just a thought. Like the project and good luck with the "Wheeler Dealer".

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #102
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
Jeff, what if you look into some different valves for the head that is to small? There are different valves that have a relief machined into the face of the valve, this might help slightly, not 6cc's but some. Just a thought. Like the project and good luck with the "Wheeler Dealer".

Robert
Your right about the valves helping some. After the 4th head I'm good now with 2 good heads that cc well. Now I have so many 7A heads available to me from craigslist and also a cylinder head shop I'm good for along time. I didn't wait for 1 guy to text me back and he had 4 heads for $50 but I had already bought 2 more so I passed on them. The cylinder head shop had 10 pairs sitting on shelf still. Today is finishing valve seat cutting and checking crank before balancing
Jeff Stout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #103
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
Your right about the valves helping some. After the 4th head I'm good now with 2 good heads that cc well. Now I have so many 7A heads available to me from craigslist and also a cylinder head shop I'm good for along time. I didn't wait for 1 guy to text me back and he had 4 heads for $50 but I had already bought 2 more so I passed on them. The cylinder head shop had 10 pairs sitting on shelf still. Today is finishing valve seat cutting and checking crank before balancing
Jeff,
Which harmonic balancer will you be using?
If you are keeping the OEM harmonic balancer, there are two different styles for the late model engines, a small solid hub and a larger rubber one.
I recommend you do not use the solid hub for racing. Although is small and lighter, it does not dampen the harmonics as well as the larger two piece with rubber. With the block having hollow mains, the dampening of harmonics helps the life of the engine.
If you will not be using an SFI balancer, I recommend the Pioneer Part Number DA-4552

Lowest price in Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crankshaft-D...3D151293191224
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #104
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Jeff,
Which harmonic balancer will you be using?
If you are keeping the OEM harmonic balancer, there are two different styles for the late model engines, a small solid hub and a larger rubber one.
I recommend you do not use the solid hub for racing. Although is small and lighter, it does not dampen the harmonics as well as the larger two piece with rubber. With the block having hollow mains, the dampening of harmonics helps the life of the engine.
If you will not be using an SFI balancer, I recommend the Pioneer Part Number DA-4552

Lowest price in Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crankshaft-D...3D151293191224
We just finished balancing with small balancer. I have no problem buying the 2 piece but do I need to rebalance? My guess is I don't need to.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #105
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
We just finished balancing with small balancer. I have no problem buying the 2 piece but do I need to rebalance? My guess is I don't need to.
The small diameter hub you are using has a weight of 5.12 pounds. However, the larger harmonic balancer weight is 8.60 pounds. That's a difference of 3.48 pounds between harmonic balancers.

I know of people that have replaced the harmonic balancer from the hub style to the dampener style in street applications under the premise that the Oldsmobile engine is externally balanced, and the counterweights are the same.

I assume your rotating assembly was externally balanced like the OEM, just to be sure, ask the shop that did the balancing if you can exchange the balancer since they have the same counterweight.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #106
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
The small diameter hub you are using has a weight of 5.12 pounds. However, the larger harmonic balancer weight is 8.60 pounds. That's a difference of 3.48 pounds between harmonic balancers.

I know of people that have replaced the harmonic balancer from the hub style to the dampener style in street applications under the premise that the Oldsmobile engine is externally balanced, and the counterweights are the same.

I assume your rotating assembly was externally balanced like the OEM, just to be sure, ask the shop that did the balancing if you can exchange the balancer since they have the same counterweight.
For sure it was externally balanced as I had to bring him balancer and flywheel. Ill ask on Monday
Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #107
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Small update as I went racing. New valves for $77 and new balancer for $76. Block and head work should be done this week. Should be able to work on front suspension rebuild and short block build in the next week. Total $3819.50

Last edited by Jeff Stout; 05-17-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: more
Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #108
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Jeff this is totally off topic but Al Provost's old wagon (N/SA, Air Ride, white olds) just came up for sale not far from me in Callahan Fl. Said motor was blown but comes complete with spares and even a spare car for $4500. Just saying might help you or someone looking to get into something inexpensive.
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #109
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Just picked up all the machine work on block, crank and heads$1562.00 Total $5381.50
Old 05-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #110
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Also I was surprised when removing torque plate cylinders were. 0015 out of round up top. Bolted plate down again and checking cylinders were round again. It surprised me.

Last edited by Jeff Stout; 05-18-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: More