HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Could a class war in Super Stock be re-established?
Yes, with the right committe in place 53 49.07%
No, not worth the work or whining 18 16.67%
Things should stay as they are and all hope is lost for a SS/AA class war to work 10 9.26%
I could care less 27 25.00%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #61
mike koester 66 nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: True Class War: Pros, Cons, and Why

Alan
Great history lesson on Jimmy Bridges Corvette. Seen that car race many
times by different owners. A very strong stock / super stock community from
Indy south to Alabama along I -65. I do not want to hi- jack this site but you
might know. What ever happened to the Ronnie T. / Larry Seay / Don Wolfe
66 Nova. Another great looking and running car that had the same circle of friends and owners.Got any idea where it is resting at today. Thanks
mike koester 66 nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #62
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike koester 66 nova View Post
Alan
Great history lesson on Jimmy Bridges Corvette. Seen that car race many
times by different owners. A very strong stock / super stock community from
Indy south to Alabama along I -65. I do not want to hi- jack this site but you
might know. What ever happened to the Ronnie T. / Larry Seay / Don Wolfe
66 Nova. Another great looking and running car that had the same circle of friends and owners.Got any idea where it is resting at today. Thanks
Jimmy often looks in on the site, and will tell me what he knows about things, we talk often. He looks at this thread, I'm sure he'll check this thread to read what I posted about his Corvette.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #63
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Alan -
A couple of bits to add to the story:
The height of the Hemi contingency's campaign against the '67 L88 Corvette was at the Memphis national race in 1989. Several Chrysler racers and the factory race director who flew in specifically for the meeting, met with NHRA officials in the tower before eliminations began on Sunday morning. Several Chevrolet racers, including me, knew what was going on and wrote many letters and made many phone calls during the remainder of the year to pose our objections. I believe that the following year was when the combination was removed from the Class Guide. It's hard to beat cubic money and GOB relationships. I still argue that it is purely partisanship, even based on NHRA's "50 units" rule.

Does anyone know who in Texas originally built and raced the car? I was pretty familiar with most of the MP crowd out of TX during that time but I have not made the connection.

Seems that I concluded that the car was originally a 1965 car based on the VIN. The car I raced in SS/C that belongs to Leonard Lamia was also a '65 car that we raced as a '66 so we could run the 427-425 combination.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #64
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Dwight, we sat down with Jimmy yesterday, and he didn't mention who Lonnie bought the car from, and I'm not sure he ever has. He may not know.

Mike Robinson was associated with two F/Gas Corvettes, Jimmy's car, and a 1963 Corvette. Around the same time. We don't know where that car went, either.

As far as the 1967 L-88 Corvette being removed from the guide goes, that's a matter of politics and selective enforcement on the part of NHRA. Depending upon who you talk to, Chevrolet produced and sold at least 36 of the 67 Corvette L-88 cars to the general public, complete and running. According to some sources, beyond that, a couple of dozen, give or take, were "provided" to racers in various forms of racing. Some say there's also the two versions originally available, and in different numbers, the L-88, and the L-88 with the L-89 aluminum head option. I don't even claim to know which sources are correct. Now 50 years after the fact, I'm not sure anyone can say with absolute certainty. But the cars were legal for more than 20 years, before NHRA decided that they were not. Sort of similar to the 69 ZL-1 Camaro. I'm sure that with your vast amount of knowledge and infoprmation collected, you can provide several examples of cars being in the guide when less than 50 were produced. It sure didn't seem to matter between 2008 and 2016, did it?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #65
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

For me, the inconsistency of NHRA's application of the "50 unit" rule is what was evidence of preferential treatment and their arguments sometimes hurts my head. The argument against the '67 L88 Corvette was that the L88 was only available in the Corvette, so the fact that less than 50 were manufactured disqualifies it, whereas other rare combinations often had engines that were available and sold in greater quantities in other bodies. The '70 and '71 Barracuda Hemi convertibles are examples of that. There were only two documented '70 Hemi convertibles built and the collectors are very adamant and proud of that fact. But, since more than 50 Hemi Barracudas were produced, NHRA argues that combination is legal. Same for Dick Simon's '67 Fairlane 427 convertible that he raced for years.
On the other hand, the rule always stated that the car had to be available and in the hands of the general public, which the '67 L88 Corvette was. It was available to anyone who wanted to buy one; it's just that Chevrolet did not advertise it and thus few people ordered one. As opposed to special production vehicles that were produced in quantities greater than 50, but you had to be specially qualified through relationship to purchase one.
Then you have the ZL1 '69 Corvette, where more than 50 ZL1 Camaros were built and are legal, though the Corvette is not. Or the '70 Yenko Chevy II which was produced in the hundreds by an outside firm, sold through Chevrolet dealers, used production parts and is still not legal, though the Shelby Mustangs are.

You get my drift.