HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #21
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: What Race Oil do you trust?

I just started using the Amsoil Dominator Racing 10W30 this weekend after finishing with the break-in oil, Brad-Penn 30W. I've noticed that the oil pressure has increased over the conventional oil, so much that I may have to go to a 5W20 to keep the pressure down. I'll know more after the first change when I can compare each oil.

Lew
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
M Brand 505B

Liked 30 Times in 9 Posts

This year I've mainly ran Valvoline 10-30 Vr1 conventional oil with great results. I cut apart my filter every 25 runs and saw hardly any material. 190+ runs so far this year changing it every 25 to 30 runs because it loses so much oil due to low ring tension (my fault).

Last year I used Royal Purple XPR 0-10 and it too worked awesome changing it every 50+ runs. 210+ runs last year on the engine and the bearings looked almost perfect. On top of that the Royal purple is a tenth faster in my engine.

Both oils are awesome and I recommend them to all*

*455 Pontiac Stock Eliminator Engine - The highest RPM it sees is 6100
Old 10-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #23
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gullett View Post
I used to use the Joe Gibbs XP-1 5-20. Never again. Extreme sludge created by this oil pluging oil filters. Just about cost me an engine. Now I use 10-30 Valvoline race oil. No issues and runs clean.
The Joe Gibbs oil does not deal with blow by, fuel, or moisture very well, it forms a nasty gray gelatinous sludge, as you described. Uncontaminated, it does fine for us, we use XP-2. I'm not convinced it is all that fast, and I've never had bearing problems with other oils, so I can't say the Joe Gibbs is doing any better.

Insiders with NASCAR teams tell me the Joe Gibbs oil does not get along with some of the various coatings, especially some of the DLC coatings. Having a DLC coating failure is catastrophic.

We saw a measurable HP loss with Valvoline 10W-30 race oil, compared to the thickest Joe Gibbs break in oil.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I saw zero advantage to the Gibbs oil, never had bearing problems with anything else anyway. Did not like the sludge in the pan and oil filter, nor the loss of coating on the piston skirts. Some people love it. Had zero issues with RP, and "Race9" is the fastest I've found, so have changed back to RP 5 W 20 & the 009 for heads-ups. With no sludge, no wear, and fastest I have found, I see no reason to change. What is another oil going to do better?
Actually had zero problems with Mobile1 with Comp Cams break in additive added.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We also use Mobil 1 with the Comp Cams break in additive with no sludge or wear issues.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gullett View Post
I used to use the Joe Gibbs XP-1 5-20. Never again. Extreme sludge created by this oil pluging oil filters. Just about cost me an engine. Now I use 10-30 Valvoline race oil. No issues and runs clean.
Bob, same here when our friend (rip) ran the JG xp2 he would use it for class then drain it. I had some with 3 runs on it poured it into the motor left a lot of sludge at the bottom of the jug. gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I've been told that sludge is part of the oil that just "fell out of suspension". Not really sludge. (It is very slippery) And that it "mixes back up when running".

Don't care, don't want it in the bottom of my pan.

I still break mine in with BR30, but drain it right after running it. Don't allow it to sit and seperate, if the BR30 even does that. Have not tried to find out if it does.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 10-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
Dave Gantz

Liked 219 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Brand 505B View Post
*455 Pontiac Stock Eliminator Engine - The highest RPM it sees is 6100
I'm no expert, for sure, but I wonder if piston speed is a factor, too.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
ron mattson

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

There was a good post on speedtalk a while back about VR1, and a guy on there who
is a independent oil analist/engineer tested 50 top oils for lack of wear #1 ding ding ding
Pennzoil Platinum, then amsoil dominator then lucas racing oil!!! Now with real world
racing experience i will say there are quite a few oils that perform well for anti wear that
are not fast but will keep your stuff alive. As far as fast oils you got Royal purple, Red line
Gibbs, Lucas and im sure some others, one thing i tried that was reasonably fast was
using 4qts of kendall conventional 5/20 with 16oz of lucas breakin additive. I have used some of the other high ranked anti wear oils with good success for keeping stuff alive
but performance suffered considerably, i can say for sure that there is a solid .15 to .20
from best to worst.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I had the same, grey sludge with the RP 5w20, both the reg and XPR, didnt matter. It never would "mix" back in. When we first built the car and were hammering on the engine, we had it out often and found the same thing everytime. I would clean in out completely and find it again the next time.

Good discussion guys, what have some of the rest of you found?

I know the Gibbs is common in SS, any lifter pump up issues with the thinner weights in Stock?

Wade
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote