HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Top Sportsman and Top Dragster
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Brian Hansbury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Hansbury
Default Top Draster wheelbase

i have been told i am crazyto run my four link car in top dragster if the new motor makes enough steam that is .....it is a 215 wb car looking for input
Brian Hansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
masracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Top Draster wheelbase

Good to hear you are putting a T/D combination together. I have been meaning to contact Wayne to find out how the series planning is coming.

My father's front engine car is 215 inches he has been 7.6s at 179 without any problems. I know he is planning to go faster this year. I realize its a front engine car and not a four link so the center of gravity is a little different but I would say you should be ok based on our experiences. I think he would agree. The car might be a little less forgiving then a 240 or 250 inch car thats the only difference I would forsee

Good Luck!

B.J. Masiello
masracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Brian Hansbury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Hansbury

Thanks BJ i have had the car i used to bracket race it and it does well ....makes me look good ...lol...i talked to my chassis guy today and he said same thing should work well .....now i just gotta hope that 598 can get me going fast enough to play in the series if not i will just bracket race.....lol.....wayne sold the spitzer car i was driving .....
Brian Hansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Ryan Dillman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents but i have been 7.40s in top dragster in a 245inch dragster and being on the brakes hard at the finishline is a little disturbing so a shorter car like you will definitely be very unforgiving.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
R&S Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are Land Shark 185" 4-link dragsters that I have seen run 7.20's with no problems.
R&S Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

Hey Brian........ a lot of years back....... before 4 link dragsters were thought of........ I ran a 215" hard tail dragster that ran 7.60's @ 170 and change......... it was a bracket car and I was into the brakes a lot on the top end......... never had a problem.......and that was at Island Dragway....... if your 4 link is set up correctly, you should have less of a problem, I would think....... the braking transition should be smoother, unless you're jumping on the binders way too hard....... and if you dial right you shouldn't be on the brakes much at all........

If you watch T/D in D1, which I'm sure you have, most of the dragsters seem to be suspended in one way or another...... so I don't see what your problem would be or who may have started you thinking that you may have one........ LOL ........ just remember to drive smart.........

Is 215" too short for 180 to 190 mph???........ it's a fair question........ but I would still say you would be OK if your back half is working correctly and you know how to respect your limitations as a driver......
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Brad1212

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ran a 225" Ed Quay in T/D at Rockingham in the fall and went 6.52 @ 208. Down track was great but it did have a tendency to want to bounce a little when the chutes where pulled.

Brad Slaughter
Brad1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Brian......a 598" for my old ride? OK why not! I went 7.78 at just under 170 with it on a cold day in March at E-Town. You could do a couple things to make it a bit more stable. Add a wing and maybe X-link the bottom 4 link bars. The car felt a little light as the speeds got faster. I used to feel like it needed steering input at the top end and felt a little "loose" sometimes. My present 235" RaceTech doesn't really feel a whole lot different to me and I'm running almost identical et's and speeds. I have 2 sets of brakes on the RaceTech and have been a little sideways with it at the finishline at Island...and not on purpose! What happened to your T/D ride with Wayne? Good luck and stay safe.....Rich
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Rich ,I think these guys would crap their pants if they saw Rick Medence going 7.20's at Island with his 185" HARDTAIL car!!. .....Not that I don't think he's a little nuts, but he's been going that quick over there for years on one of the shortest ,bumpiest tracks in D1. ....Personally, I think a 235"+ car is the one for the job,but I'd favour a slip joint over those 2000# swing arm tanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Top Draster wheelbase

Tom....Medence's car is one of my favorites. I never saw him run .20's but definately 40's and .50's. If you ever are around him when he starts it...you'll smell some nitro......I asked a crew guy once and he said they do use a little sometimes. I would not want to run a hard tail at Island......and you know I've been up and down that track hundreds of times. I have seen guys bouncing trying to stop as I made the turnaround......scrape,screech,scrape,screech..... .and you run out of pavement real fast......and Tom....congratulations on that nice award you received at the banquet....it is well deserved. Rich