Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-12-2022, 09:18 PM   #11
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,488 Times in 1,704 Posts
Default Re: Do I Sound Old School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post

He got beat by a Tesla in Florida and the Tesla had an .008" package on one run.....

I was watching the race a little and saw the Tesla run back to back identical ET's
Of course it did .
I , for one would not line my car up against anything that didn't burn varying levels of oxygen.

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 01-13-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:17 AM   #12
outlaw

Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts

I would think that as as long as traction remains the same on a EV the et should remain the same. The only bad air for a EV would be high winds from run to run.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:29 AM   #13
CMcAllister

Liked 753 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiBartolomeo View Post
So many questions with maybe the most important one… Do I sound old school to you? -JOHN DiBARTOLOMEO
Yes. You also sound like you have some common sense. People think EVs run on unicorn farts.

I don't care if they run them at the track. Anything that helps a track operator pay the bills is OK with me.

But I have zero interest in them. And I don't want to see any traditional classes being made to accommodate them. Let them form their own organizations.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:44 AM   #14
CMcAllister

Liked 753 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
Now a question what will happen if an electric car gets into a wreck will it provide a spark explosion ??? Just asking for a friend
This is something safety people will need to be trained and equipped for so they can deal with one in an accident without getting electrocuted or killed themselves.

Body shops, repair shops, first responders and rescue people have specific equipment and training to deal with them. They can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Who's working at a drag strip that knows how to deal with one when it gets driven into a wall?

https://www.tesla.com/firstresponders

Last edited by CMcAllister; 01-13-2022 at 01:49 AM.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:22 AM   #15
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

Since racers are always testing and tunning their cars I have an idea on a certain time period and all at once all the people in the west coast state turn on all their electrical devices at once throughout their home,plug in their electric cars charging system, and see what happens Just saying just testing the system just to see
Old 01-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #16
1matcoman

Liked 283 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I’d rather watch and listen to a 10 second car that sounds like a old M/P than a almost silent 8 second or however fast they end up running silent car.
^^^ this
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:03 PM   #17
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 941 Times in 260 Posts

NHRA has had a category for Electric Vehicles in the Rules book for a few years now, although other than a couple of Teslas in regular bracket classes, I can not recall ever seeing any. Last year I saw a Tesla small SUV type car at the local dragstrip, no idea what the name of the model was, it ran a couple of low 12s at 110 MPH, on street tires, assume it was all wheel drive, but I can`t say for certain. Rather impressive for a daily driver "soccer mom" type vehicle, but holds about as much interest to me as a trip to the dentist for a root canal.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #18
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,738 Times in 858 Posts

With all the rush to electrification (with GM seemingly leading the way) one has to wonder when they'll stop pushing out COPO's, Drag Pak, etc. It just seems to be contrary to how the Big 3 (i.e. big Labor) are courting the current administration at every turn. Think EV's are a great alternative for many but the infrastructure is FAR from supporting mass adoption and thereby eliminating ICE vehicles. Agriculture, transportation and RV industries are no closer to any kind of penetration by EV designs so things will continue on for quite some time until all of us "old school' folks pass the mantle to generations that will never embrace ICE racing formats like we have. The hordes of Jr. Dragsters may delay the inevitable but it will not stop it, IMO it's just the natural progression of things. The steady loss of tracks is just another sign that it will become increasingly difficult for the average person to fund a racing program. I really enjoyed the Class Racing Today interview of Cal Method, would recommend it to anyone. What he and Mary Ann were able to accomplish based on pure passion for the sport and the comradery with so many like spirits speaks to a by gone time that many of us can reminisce about and try to recapture in some form but the younger generations simply don't have that fixated in their brains as we do. BTW, I was at Indy 1967,1968,1969 and I recall the hordes of sedan deliveries Cal talked about along with Wild Willy having one hand on the wing, Dyno Don blipping his A/FX behind the line, etc etc...it was all pretty dang special.

In the meantime, as Larry said, I only have one question "which lane do you want?"

Last edited by jmcarter; 01-13-2022 at 12:41 PM.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #19
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Let them have their own category. Edison can sponsor them. They only run each other.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:56 PM   #20
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
Now a question what will happen if an electric car gets into a wreck will it provide a spark explosion ??? Just asking for a friend
Based on my experience during my days at Boeing during the Lithium battery issue, the grounding of the 787 fleet and what I learned for the incidents, I made recommendations to NHRA in 2015 to require an enclosed metal container for those that want to use a Lithium battery. Prior to the delivery of the 787 airplanes to the airline customers, we even had to develop new fire fighting protocols for the operators and airports worldwide on how to handle a Lithium battery fire, the equipment required and extinguishing media.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote