HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #11
GTS340

Liked 1,067 Times in 333 Posts
Default Re: New Era. We are wanting change

It sure isn't NHRA's fault we have been dealing with covid restrictions for the last two years. We are still dealing with this terrible stuff. Either people can't or don't want to work. Money is short for most killing fan count. Gas prices, food, Hotels all costing more.
Then again Pros aren't coming to support their fields. Surely aren't any alcohol vehicles and competition Eliminator class cars anymore. Even Top Sportsman has lost its luster. You would think the folks in charge would adjust the category counts for national events for the classes that do support them.
I do enjoy divisional races. We have great weather in division 7. But yet we have had only 1 race so far. We have lost or are losing numerous tracks. Tough on the moral.
As far as big dollar S/SS races. They are all back east taking the place where IHRA was. Division 1,2 and 3. I guess racing and buying parts stops at the Mississippi.

Paul 7019 C/SA
GTS340 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #12
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

To be honest, I could care less about National event and for that matter, spectators. Divisional races to me are lot more enjoyable and less hassle. As sportsmen racers are the primary function of a Divisional, we get treated accordingly and not as an annoyance like we are at Nationals. How much fun is it to make your first run at zero dark thirty, and your second run at nine that evening (and then have that run cancelled at the last minute because a pro car oiled the track)? Doing the math, it seems like Divisional races are self supporting whether spectators turns up or not so hopefully, those races can continue for some time to come. I have no love for the way NHRA treats up but better the devil you know...
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #13
B Parker

Liked 2,311 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip THELEGEND Johnson View Post
The problem here is a lot of Sportsman racers don't understand the "Pecking Order" in other words WE ARE NOT THE SHOW. We are field fillers/time killers.
The majority of "Hot Dog Eaters" come to see JOHN FORCE.
Hell you can get a Wally at a Bracket Race now.
I go to 3 or 4 nationals a year because I enjoy the show
I go to 8 "grade points races" a year so I can go to the show next year.

Flame Away

Chip Johnson
Chip this is by no means to Flame Away, I agree with what you have said but we ( Sportsman Cars) are the greatest traveling car show on earth. Who in NHRA is responsible for promoting Sportsman Racing ? Is there even a budget for it? We have the greatest membership and pay the majority of the membership fee's. Shouldn't we have someone paid that promotes our racing !! It's like making a great product with no sales force. If no knows about it or see's and understands what the product is you will never sell it. One simple way to promote us would be to have an event the night or two before the start of the race with about 50 cars off the grounds. Most of the malls have plenty of room with shopping switched to online. And would welcome anything they could do to attract more cars into their parking lots . Give away some FREE PASSES to the race. I have a cruise night once a month and my place is a hole in the wall and we get a lot of people that go by to stop in and check out the cars. Even with all the years I've been at this there are cars that show up at races that I'm in awe about. There is a cruise night a few Towns from me. They get upwards of 400 cars a week. But they also get upwards of over a thousand people to show up to check the cars out. There are plenty of other ways to promote our classes. All it would take is an organization that cared enough to actually put some effort in. AND PLEASE I don't want to here it won't work. I'm 65 and have had several successful small businesses and everyone I've had was either someone else's that was failing or failed and closed. Everyone that I have had others said I was nuts and it won't work. Barry

Last edited by B Parker; 08-04-2021 at 10:01 PM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #14
Matt1234

Liked 35 Times in 7 Posts

Chip I’m glad you enjoy hot dogs and watch John Force. But for most of us I feel like agree with what I’m saying. NHRA system is broken and keeps taken advantage of us. We need to stand together whether you run divisional or national events. Change is needed. If NHRA don’t listen or don’t want to change then that’s the line in the sand. This Indy schedule is a joke this year because of All Stars Why are we having the All Star race in Indy Have it at Topeka or somewhere in the middle of the US. Makes more sense to me. This is some of the changes they need to look at. One race a year is what we are asking for class and to be open. Our pole showed people want it open and be able to run as fast as they can but NHRA keeps it like all other races. WHY And it’s killing car count. I also own a business and the negative people will always try to bring you down. But to be successful you power on. And that’s the way we should look at this Like I said if they don’t. You take what they give you or quit doing it. It’s simple. Thanks for reading Matt
Matt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #15
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Since the day NHRA changed Stock/Super Stock from heads up class racing to mostly bracket racing it has been on decline. Sorry, I only watch class eliminations. No interest in the bracket portion. And It is a numbers game, NHRA tracks how many Crew Tickets are bought by each racer for national events. I bet most stock racers only by racer entry. Top sportsman/Dragster all have at least 1 crew person, same with comp. That is what pays the bills and top sportsman/dragster and comp get dumped on the same way, 1 qualifier and get ready to race
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #16
SS/GSI

Liked 507 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Null View Post
I agree with you Matt, the problem is we had a chance this year to support 3 big money races and the turn out was not so great in my eyes. This was a time to send a message and support our class, all it showed is that 60 percent of the class racers are chasing the Wally and enjoy the camping out atmosphere. Bo's race couldn't draw the cars with the payouts he put up, so my take is people are happy. My Divisional races are the only thing that keep me in it. Time to enjoy being a camper or get a boat, I'm leaning towards the boat.
Herbie is correct...250 cars showed up to Baby Gators to chase the "little man" not the $1200 to win the race, meanwhile Mr. Freeman was giving $10,000.00 one hour away and couldn't get 2 dozen cars to show up! 250 cars showed up at Columbus a couple weeks ago to chase down the "little man" again and that was with a week of forecasted rain surrounding the race! LOL

More STK and SS cars have shown up to the 2 NHRA Class Runoff Races than Mr. Freeman's, Butner/Line, Bohannon and CR Numidia races put together....and those were for a total of $170,000.00+!!! I know there is a large amount of support for these races and perhaps they will grow over time; however it will take time and it will probably become a sink or swim situation for some.

Don't get me wrong, winning big money is great but I am sure that the majority of us do not race to subsidize and/or add onto our annual incomes...seeing as only a handful of sportsman racers have ever legitimately raced full time as a means of employment.

The racers have spoken and all the majority of us have shown, is that we want more class runoff racing like before...and we do not need JFR or DSR on the property to make it feel anymore special. With the low quotas at National Events, division races are a better venue for class so we can actually have cars to runoff against and not end up with a 23 car auto-combo race! Put all class runoffs to divisional events like the Baby Gators(1 per division) + the Sports Nationals in Columbus and Indy...that is all most of us would ask for. IMHO

PS: When Class at Indy is done Herbie, I will be boat shopping with you!!! LOL
Old 08-04-2021, 11:29 PM   #17
JOE ZOOM

Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
Thumbs up Re: New Era. We are wanting change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1234 View Post
Chip I’m glad you enjoy hot dogs and watch John Force. But for most of us I feel like agree with what I’m saying. NHRA system is broken and keeps taken advantage of us. We need to stand together whether you run divisional or national events. Change is needed. If NHRA don’t listen or don’t want to change then that’s the line in the sand. This Indy schedule is a joke this year because of All Stars Why are we having the All Star race in Indy Have it at Topeka or somewhere in the middle of the US. Makes more sense to me. This is some of the changes they need to look at. One race a year is what we are asking for class and to be open. Our pole showed people want it open and be able to run as fast as they can but NHRA keeps it like all other races. WHY And it’s killing car count. I also own a business and the negative people will always try to bring you down. But to be successful you power on. And that’s the way we should look at this Like I said if they don’t. You take what they give you or quit doing it. It’s simple. Thanks for reading Matt
matt1234....your points are well taken...but..you cant fight city hall,,,they dont care...PEACE.....Joe Zoom
JOE ZOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-05-2021, 05:20 AM   #18
Roy Kinslow

Liked 124 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1234 View Post
I have watched and raced NHRA racing for most of my life. What is going on and the way that NHRA treat Stock and Super Stcock and other sportsman classes is unacceptable. The more we take it and do what they want the more they will continue. NHRA is the pinnacle of drag racing and we all want to win a Wally. For a lot of us it’s a dream but they know this and I feel like they take advantage of us, such examples: limited car counts, limited class racing, entry fees higher for certain races and schedules that cater to pros instead of caring about the sportsman and they way we feel. My idea is, we have 4 reps, 2 from Super Stock and 2 from Stock We send a letter of concerns to NHRA that we would like to see changed. If they don’t negotiate or make changes, then we need to stand together and not support their program. The only way they will change is, us as a group stand together. Individuals calling NHRA or division directors with their concerns is not working. The 4 reps appointed can talk and negotiate changes with NHRA. I want NHRA to be successful and survive. But at this rate they are killing sportsman class racing. I am willing to be a rep for Super Stock and I’ve had many volunteers to be reps. Many people out there have the passion as I do for class racing and feel like you guys understand where I’m coming from. I feel like we are getting no where with individuals reaching out to NHRA. We need to stand together and show NHRA we will support them if they will support us! Please respond with your in put!
For you sir, who I do not know I offer this prayer,

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Roy Kinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #19
TOSTO RACING

Liked 471 Times in 136 Posts

If you want change ,STOP GOING ITS SIMPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find other races and associations there are plenty.

It can change, you just have to really want to change it.

If no one shows up ,they'll have to seriously do something or they will fold!

Or pay $195 a time run, getting treated like crap, and just complain and talk about it for the rest of your life!

Last edited by TOSTO RACING; 08-05-2021 at 08:56 AM.
TOSTO RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #20
Stan Weiss

Liked 545 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING View Post
If you want change ,STOP GOING ITS SIMPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find other races and associations there are plenty.

It can change, you just have to really want to change it.

If no one shows up ,they'll have to seriously do something or they will fold!

Or pay $195 a time run, getting treated like crap, and just complain and talk about it for the rest of your life!

They will not Fold!

They will simple replace you with some different classes.

They may even be saying to them selves it took longer than it sure have to get those whiners out of here.

Remember to NHRA you are just filler at Nation events. The place you do have some power is divisional races.The question is can you use that to get some changes at National events.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote