HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
Matt1234

Liked 35 Times in 7 Posts
Default New Era. We are wanting change

I have watched and raced NHRA racing for most of my life. What is going on and the way that NHRA treat Stock and Super Stcock and other sportsman classes is unacceptable. The more we take it and do what they want the more they will continue. NHRA is the pinnacle of drag racing and we all want to win a Wally. For a lot of us it’s a dream but they know this and I feel like they take advantage of us, such examples: limited car counts, limited class racing, entry fees higher for certain races and schedules that cater to pros instead of caring about the sportsman and they way we feel. My idea is, we have 4 reps, 2 from Super Stock and 2 from Stock We send a letter of concerns to NHRA that we would like to see changed. If they don’t negotiate or make changes, then we need to stand together and not support their program. The only way they will change is, us as a group stand together. Individuals calling NHRA or division directors with their concerns is not working. The 4 reps appointed can talk and negotiate changes with NHRA. I want NHRA to be successful and survive. But at this rate they are killing sportsman class racing. I am willing to be a rep for Super Stock and I’ve had many volunteers to be reps. Many people out there have the passion as I do for class racing and feel like you guys understand where I’m coming from. I feel like we are getting no where with individuals reaching out to NHRA. We need to stand together and show NHRA we will support them if they will support us! Please respond with your in put!
Matt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
matt82114

Liked 117 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: New Era. We are wanting change

I'm assuming you're referring to national events, correct? Because aren't the car counts unlimited at a division or regional?

And are you suggesting all national events go an extra day to accommodate the extra round or 2 in each category? Because if stock and ss are going to get an extra round so should everybody else right?
matt82114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:22 PM   #3
Chip THELEGEND Johnson

Liked 280 Times in 79 Posts

The problem here is a lot of Sportsman racers don't understand the "Pecking Order" in other words WE ARE NOT THE SHOW. We are field fillers/time killers.
The majority of "Hot Dog Eaters" come to see JOHN FORCE.
Hell you can get a Wally at a Bracket Race now.
I go to 3 or 4 nationals a year because I enjoy the show
I go to 8 "grade points races" a year so I can go to the show next year.

Flame Away

Chip Johnson
Chip THELEGEND Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #4
Herbie Null

Liked 286 Times in 55 Posts

I agree with you Matt, the problem is we had a chance this year to support 3 big money races and the turn out was not so great in my eyes. This was a time to send a message and support our class, all it showed is that 60 percent of the class racers are chasing the Wally and enjoy the camping out atmosphere. Bo's race couldn't draw the cars with the payouts he put up, so my take is people are happy. My Divisional races are the only thing that keep me in it. Time to enjoy being a camper or get a boat, I'm leaning towards the boat.

Last edited by Herbie Null; 08-04-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Herbie Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Like they treat the pros any better! I would love to see a breakdown of what the NHRAs take is for a national event by class, if there's a thread with such info please post a link.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Ronnie1858

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

JMO - and I freely admit I am a newbie to all of this. But, I think Chip hit the nail on the head. At national events, we are time killers between the pro rounds, nothing more. I would love to win a national event Wally some day, just like everyone else here, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim for me. There are just too many good drivers out there. So, for me, the divisional and regional races are where I have my fun, along with the local bracket races and test and tunes. I just love running the car down the track and hanging out with all the great folks I've met along the way. If I go a few rounds, that is great. If not, there's always tomorrow. Everyone sees it differently. That said, I am willing to support a group effort to get a bit more respect from the NHRA folks, if enough of us think it is really necessary.
Ronnie1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts

Wasn't this "representative" thing tried already a few years ago? I'd be all for it if I thought it would amount to something but unfortunately I don't. NHRA is just like big government, the elites at the top live in a bubble and expect the commoners to conform.
I personally would LOVE to see more big money S/SS races and even more "normal" payout races. It's all the same people and if I have learned one thing from not racing all these years it is that we miss the people more than a damn Wally. I'm very much looking forward to racing again next spring and I really hope we have a venue to do it. Good luck with your idea though, I hope it helps.
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM5595 View Post
Wasn't this "representative" thing tried already a few years ago? I'd be all for it if I thought it would amount to something but unfortunately I don't. NHRA is just like big government, the elites at the top live in a bubble and expect the commoners to conform.
I personally would LOVE to see more big money S/SS races and even more "normal" payout races. It's all the same people and if I have learned one thing from not racing all these years it is that we miss the people more than a damn Wally. I'm very much looking forward to racing again next spring and I really hope we have a venue to do it. Good luck with your idea though, I hope it helps.
We had the SRA (Sportsman Racers Association) and we supposedly have reps appointed for each of the divisions that advise NHRA on issues, neither one of these groups have had any luck (and for the record, I'm sure they tried their hardest). If anyone thinks that we are going to successfully boycott sanctioned races, good luck with that. Even if you could coral all off the racers, I think it would give NHRA the wish that they have always been hoping for. There are unlimited ways that NHRA could fill in the time void that would be left behind, lots of circus acts available to entertain the hot dog eaters. Jim Caughlin SS6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

I would think with the changes coming by auto manufacturers in switching to E power in the next 15 years or so, that racers, hot rodders etc would need sanctioning bodies as allies. Its hard to imagine support for this hobby/business/sport to continue without them. I don`t see empathy coming from elected officials, just the opposite. Racers are going to need all the friends they can get.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I would think with the changes coming by auto manufacturers in switching to E power in the next 15 years or so, that racers, hot rodders etc would need sanctioning bodies as allies. Its hard to imagine support for this hobby/business/sport to continue without them. I don`t see empathy coming from elected officials, just the opposite. Racers are going to need all the friends they can get.
Our biggest issue right now is the EPA. They are steadily trying to make the modifications that we do illegal. A better move for us would be to get behind SEMA/PRI and the RPM Act.

As far as the NHRA goes, I think a lot of people have tunnel vision. There is a lot going on in this Great Country that makes it extremely hard to do "business as usual".

If there was ever a time to support the NHRA, it is NOW.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote