HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-31-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
dirtmod18

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default dumb SS newbie questions.. Mopar

Hi All, and thanks for allowing me to join what looks to be a great site! Got a couple questions hopefully someone can clarify for me. We are building a 73 Cuda, with hopes to find the correct SS class to set up for. Right now, after looking thru what I "think" the car fits in seems to be one of the "GT" classes, but not sure.. First the car.. Its completely stock type chassis, was org. 318 auto car. I have only added an 8-point bar, tied the subframes together with connectors, and ditched the leaf springs for ladders and coil overs. Not cutting stock subframe and left stock wheel tubs, fitting 11.5x30 underneath. Just wasn't sure if its legal to replace stock rear suspension. Again, I cut nothing under the car, just added a couple crossmembers for the ladder bars and coil over shocks. Now the 2nd question. Wanting to run either a 340 or 383 B engine combo., as I have some parts for both. Plan on running manual trans. The 73 car could have been bought with a 340, but not a 383, so that is a question in itself .. 3rd, I have printed the NHRA Tech specs for both engines, but both the 1971and 1972 (for 340) specs fit either engine to the best of what I would want to build, not the 73.. And I'm confused on the blueprint procedure, I see in the NHRA rulebook states, "any valve trian" so that means any cam-lifter-rocker-spring package? I know its stock block, stock cylinder head castings, says it can be ported, but then it gives a max Compression ration, Cam type, Carb and Intake factory part#'s in the NHRA Tech specs.. So I'm totally confused on where to start. Maybe someone can shed some light on my combo, what I basically can and can't do, and also help me pick a viable class to build for. Thanks!!
dirtmod18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,790 Times in 571 Posts
Default Re: dumb SS newbie questions.. Mopar

The Cuda can easily be changed to race anywhere from 70 thru 74 with
trim changes. Mike Cotton is very fast with 383 Combo and the 71 340
is also very fast (Ask my son). There are others in your body combo.
Top shelf Roller Valve train is vital as these spin up pretty high!
I would strongly recommend seeking out an Engine Builder/Machine Shop
that specializes in Mopar Stock/SS engines. I do not know what part of the
country you are located.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 07-31-2021 at 03:37 PM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
dirtmod18

Thank you John. I'm going to build the engine myself. I'm a machinist by trade and own a small, engine machine shop. (small in sq.ft.) Lol. Never built a SS engine before but up for the challenge. I'll post some pics of the car and the build to all interested. I'm really leaning towards the 383 combo. Just gotta figure the right class. I'm guess the NHRA engine specs are more geared for stock eliminator engine builds. Just need to figure out what needs to be OEM within the engine and car build.
Liked
Old 07-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
dirtmod18

I also apologize I should have posted in the Tech forum.. Sorry guys.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:25 AM   #5
Rod Greene

Liked 203 Times in 72 Posts

The low compression 340 in an E body has a very favorable Hp rating. Thank you Mike Loge.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
dragracerray

Liked 122 Times in 57 Posts

Dirtmod welcome to this site. I am not a Mopar guy but I will try to start you off. To run SS in a GT class first you need to pick the engine you want to run. Use this as a reference to pick engine size and Mopar horsepower rating.

http://nhraracer.com/content/general...634&zoneid=132

Once you pick an engine this site tell you what head casting and carburetor you must run in SS. This site will also tell you the minimum head volume CC, valve size, deck clearance/head gasket thickness, if piston is flat or domed.

You are not necessary forced to run a Mopar block. Depending on the engine you pick there could be an aftermarket block you could use. Look here to find NHRA approved parts you can use.

https://www.nhraracer.com/Files/Tech...edProducts.pdf

You are not forced to use the Mopar intake in SS. You can use an aftermarket intake.

These guys have been very helpful to me. I would identify your location as GTX John said. Local people can give you more dedicated help. I would also suggest you ask 1 or 2 questions per post so you don't overwelm people that want to help.
Ray
dragracerray is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
dirtmod18

Thank you Ray, I'm in North Carolina. After doing some research, and the 1971 383 having a factored HP at 300hp, Looks like with my take on a novice calculation seems SS/I works? Seems like this car may be a better candidate for a regular SS class maybe not the GT. I think so far.. Lol Thanks, again.
Liked
Old 08-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #8
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,680 Times in 852 Posts

Go to this site and request access from Dwight, great resource that many of us rely on….

classracerinfo.com
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
dragracerray

Liked 122 Times in 57 Posts

Dirtmod I am not familiar with the SSGT stuff to advise you very well. It looks like the 383 can not be used in SS or SSGT in a 1973 Barracuda. When you go here,

http://nhraracer.com/content/general...635&zoneid=132

None of the GT listing show the 383. Mopar and SSGT guys please chime in. Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73 Plymouth.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	58145  
dragracerray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #10
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

One thing that's been overlooked in the conversation is since you have only a 8 point roll bar ,you are limited to to a combination that falls into SSGT/E or F ,and then only if you run the index . Even dropping to a lower class will need a cage if you run under the index.
Most viable combinations that can fit the car most likely will need a roll cage .
Before jumping into the "shark pool" ,visit a Lucas Oil Divisional race and seek out some racers that are running Mopars in SS .
Most will at least tell you what may not be a good combo and more than a few will at least steer you in the right direction.