HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts
Default Congrats to Pete Lanciers -Never Rest Award

Congrats for continuing to exhibit the passion for our sport. Since jumping into the ex-Luneack Duster you’ve had your ups and downs yet put in some long tows (not Cotten type miles but who does except maybe an uncaged Darcy Clarke) and it hasn’t gone unnoticed. Congrats, hope to catch up with you at some point.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: Congrats to Pete Lanciers -Never Rest Award

Could someone share the story of how Pete received the award?

There never seems to be write ups of the circumstances behind the Never Rest Awards.

Thanks!
Bill Lamb
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #3
Pete Lanciers

Liked 562 Times in 145 Posts

Thank's Jim,

Bill I guess you might as well hear it from the horses mouth... You know when they knocked on my trailer Saturday afternoon and told me, they want to see you in the tower, I just looked at Nick and said "What now?"

Where to start... When the revised Western Swing was announced I was immediately excited I'd always wanted to race the Mountain but that event normally is scheduled during our divisional in Sonoma. Additionally it gave me an opportunity to bring Nick on a month long road trip something that has become increasingly difficult with his college and baseball schedule.

We departed San Diego, and on our second overnight in Albuquerque I noticed the trailer wasn't sitting right and discovered we had a spring pack that had thrown its banding, become dislocated and badly bent... I found a local shop and though he couldn't find me the correct replacement, he cobbled together a suitable replacement to get me back on the road. Off we went with our fingers crossed.

Approaching Colorado we were greeted by a wildfire that had jumped the US25 setting both sides of the summit ablaze resulting in stop n go traffic up that better than 2% grade from the New Mexico border. I finally breathed again an hour later when we cleared the summit and could turn my A/C back on!

Arriving in Morrison I set up the weather station to plan my tuning. Next morning gremlins stole my first two qualifying attempts yet I was able to get a -.767 pass in the heat of the afternoon, I was feeling pretty relieved and confident never having raced Bandimere before. Race day started pretty well, I was the second designated pair and lo &behold my competition fails to show and I get the fortuitous bye... 2nd round fortune found another seat to ride. The launch and 1-2 shift are solid but when I throw the 2-3 I know immediately its soft and then the #3 connecting rod chooses to divorce the crankshaft... Oh $#@!

Called good buddy and Racer/Shipper Mark Kirby as well as several carriers trying desperately to get my spare motor to Sonoma, after a couple of hours struggle it's apparent that it's not going to happen. I'm pretty bummed now... I really want to be in Sonoma not only to race, but for Kyle's celebration, like many of you Kyles kindness has touched my life on numerous occasions and I'm still pained by his loss. Another great friend and racer who has given me sage counsel many times, Mike Cotten says; "Pete, sometimes you just have to know when to let go." I withdraw from Sonoma but just as Nick and I are about surrender and head back home, Brad Van Lant calls saying "There's a Double Divisional in Topeka, you get your butts to Heartland and I'll get your motor there!" Holy moly, sounds too easy right? You're right!

Approaching Kansas I turn my attention northward and notice graying on the horizon about 40 minutes later that is now battleship gray turning black and I'm struggling to hold the trailers line, my forearms are burning as we are slowed by traffic and flashing lights passing through the carnage of four 18 wheelers and one race rig overturned. We decided to take the next exit in Hays and have a nice long lunch and let this cell pass! Two and a half hours later we get back on the 70 and make our way into Topeka.

Arriving the next afternoon at Heartland Park, Brad is there as promised! The three of us pull the bad motor and install the new one fire her putting the first heat cycle through the new motor. Next morning I put two more heat cycles through her and get the Duster ready. We made 7 passes, and collected some grade points, and the FAST SHOCK cash for being the last qualifier in the top half, before packing up, saying goodbye to Brad and heading West to Pomona. Very happily the 1542 miles back to Pomoma were uneventful, and I immediately celebrated by grabbing my trunks, a cigar and beach blanket and heading for a local jacuzzi, I crash whenever in Pomona!

You guys n gals know, we do whatever we have to, it’s who we are, it's in our DNA, but most often it goes unnoticed. That said I was very surprised and somewhat overwhelmed and obviously most appreciative when NHRA decided to recognize our efforts with the Never Rest Wally...

Last edited by Pete Lanciers; 08-04-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Pete Lanciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts

Nice Job Pete! I missed the beginning of the announcing of the award. Seeing you next to the car with your shirts. I thought you won best appearing car or crew award. You have my vote either way. See you in Phoenix!

Paul Haszlauer
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
Pete Lanciers

Liked 562 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS340 View Post
Nice Job Pete! I missed the beginning of the announcing of the award. Seeing you next to the car with your shirts. I thought you won best appearing car or crew award. You have my vote either way. See you in Phoenix!

Paul Haszlauer
I have the video somewhere once I figure out how I’ll post it here it’s funny Alan & Joe we’re busting on me for the jacuzzi photo, LOL 😂
Pete Lanciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #6
crose

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Congratulations Pete on your award. It was nice to meet you in Topeka. Knowing you are from California I didn't know if I would ever meet you in person.
From a fellow Mopar guy running in the same class it's always interesting to see and compare cars.
May you have lots of win lights in your future,
Chuck Rose
crose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Pete,

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

You definitely earned the award!

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
John Winslow Jr

Liked 274 Times in 62 Posts

Congrats Pete!!!
John Winslow Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:28 AM   #9
ToddRT

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

That's a good read, Pete! Nice story. My younger brother is getting in racing and you may inspire him. We've just finished installing the new set of tires and exhaust from 4Wheelonline onto his Mustang and now having a good blasts.
ToddRT is offline   Reply With Quote