Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Question Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Steve View Post
Dave Wren's car was a steel nose Hardtop built for SS/DA in 1969. I spoke with Dave Koffel (who built the car for Wren) in detail about this car. Wren broke in the finals and Ron Mancini was given the Runner Up finish at the Nationals that year with his SS/DA steel nose Hemi '64 Dodge.

For what it's worth, I own the Mancini Dodge. I have researched the 4 steel nose Hemi's that were built for SS/CA and SS/DA in 1969 and can confirm the above as fact.
Thanks for helping out with that info....I wasnt sure if Daves car was a steel car or an alum piece. Its been a long time ago but I now remember his car being a Red Fury or Sport Fury????? instead of a Belvedere. Is this correct? I remember him breaking a drive shaft in the final There are some alum nosed Hemi Belvederes out there running today as listed in the NHRA Guide but I dont believe they were factory assembly line built???. Can you give us any input about the hood pin debate for the 64 2 door sedan lite wts?

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 10-10-2009 at 07:53 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #22
Mopar Steve

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

I believe it was a Fury. I'm currently away from all of my documents and etc., but will be able to help tomorrow evening when I have that all at my access again. From what I can recall though, I think they were hinged.

There were assembly line built Hemi hardtops. What sheet metal they had, I cannot recall.
Mopar Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
RJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDAD View Post
WOW !!!

Looks like a swatted a hornets nest ?

I am not the sharpest pencil in the box but, two things I "think" I seen ..

The hood to me appeared to be glass and the heads appeared t o be alum (seen what looked like alum poking thru the paint ..but, I'm not positive so do say I said for sure on either of those..

Here it is

Looks a lot like Chuck Rayburn's car.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
BIGDAD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Again, not sure but ..Several years ago I'm fairly certain this is the same car , it was at a Swap meet here in DFW .

The fab work looks like Joe Smiths handiwork to me , and I figured that is was Mr Jim Hale cause the engine compartment was red

And I know Joe does most of the work for him or at least did ..

I sure wish I knew the rules on what fits and what doesn't etc because I must of slept thru the class that said it was ok to run Alum heads, etc. etc and all the other things that seemed to me a novice ol bracket racer
Out of place ..
BIGDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #25
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Bob Pagano, Wesley doesn`t go to National events, Jim Hale ran SS/BA at Bell Rose points meet Sept. 19, Listed 68 Barracuda but 68 doesn't fit in SS/BA, I think this car had a hemi in it when Jim got the car and he put his 383 or 440 out of his 68 Barracuda in the 64 car, he was running in GT/EA, Just guessing ? Tom
Old 10-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #26
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Steve View Post
I believe it was a Fury. I'm currently away from all of my documents and etc., but will be able to help tomorrow evening when I have that all at my access again. From what I can recall though, I think they were hinged.

There were assembly line built Hemi hardtops. What sheet metal they had, I cannot recall.
I have many pictures of Hayden Proffit, Color Me Gone, Dan "Smoker" Smith, etc., and wished I could scan them on here but I dont have a scanner. They all show 4 hood pins sticking up thru the hoods, were 2 door sedans and have S/SA on the windshields in shoe polish. Some show them in the pits with the hood on the roof. Its possable that some came this way and some didnt. Maybe NHRA made a rule change back in 1964? Who knows and its not a big deal. Just all I have shows them with hood pins. Thanks again.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #27
Todd Boyer

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

So the upshot of all this is that these cars never came with fiberglass hoods from Chrysler???
Todd Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #28
2021STK

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Way View Post
Although the rule book says any production V8 of the same make, year optional, there is another unwritten rule. If the car you run in GT has a functional hoodscoop your engine combo has to have come from a fresh air combo. At least that is what Bruce Bachelder has told me. For the Mopar, anything from 340 up was available with a shaker in 70 and the Chally Drag Pac engines will work.
I just asked NHRA tech this week at Dinwiddie about fresh air in GT classes. I was told the engine going in the car had to have fresh air as original/optional equipment to run it in GT with a fresh air hood. This sounds Ok but what about a car that had a fresh air hood as original equipment with another engine? I was given the answer "it's a gray area, I'll look into it", fair enough. I don't know how you can configure a car body/hood for fresh air that didn't have it as original equipment, way out example: L88 in a Cobalt. I could see a fresh air body/hood with a different engine, wayout example#2: '68 Hemi 'Cuda body with a 273. Might be that the original engine & body BOTH had to have fresh air to be legal in GT. I thought this came up before on the forum but I couldn't find a link to it, can anybody help out?

Thanks,
Dave Outten

Last edited by 2021STK; 10-11-2009 at 01:01 PM.
2021STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
Jared Jordan

Liked 222 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

For what it's worth:

It's the ex-Chuck Rayburn, ex-Jim Hale '64 Hemi car. Jim ran it for a few years in the early part of the decade and then Chuck acquired it and ran it for some time. Recently, Chuck and Jim swapped cars with Chuck receiving a '68 Cuda for SS/AH competition.

I believe in GT/EA that it's a 383 combo which, if it's the 300 Hp combo, would only need to weigh 3170 for that class.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #30
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

Dave
The rulebook does not allow the addition of scoops on a GT car. The GT section 9B says "The requirements and specifications for GT classes are the same as those for Super Stock classes - Section 9A - with the following exceptions:" and there are no exceptions for hoodscoops in the GT section 9B. There is, however, a phrase in SS Section 9A "Hood openings and/or hood scoops other than original equipment prohibited.". It would appear that those two statements eliminate the ability to add fresh air to a non fresh air car. Nothing I see keeps someone from running the fresh air engine in a non fresh air car , just no fresh air.
Stewart Way is offline   Reply With Quote