HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Pony Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1050 Dominator BS Filter Needed

I'm in the home stretch in completing a 438-inch SBF for Super Street. Heads are FMS A3 castings with an Ultradyne solid roller cam. Intake is an Edelbrock/Glidden single plane Dominator intake. Converter is an ATI unit presently flashing to 5800 at the launch (behind 383 CID Cleveland). Rear gears are 5.43 turning 14 x 32 Goodyears. Launch on the brake at 3,600-4,000 RPM depending on track prep and my reaction times. Max RPM is 7,700.

I just bought a 3-circuit 1050 Dominator p/n 8896. While on line looking for baseline tune-up information, I saw many threads talking about the mods needed to lean out the intermediate circuit; converting them to two-circuit, etc. to make them run right.

My question: Is this the right carb for my application, or should I box it back up and exchange it for the two-circuit version?

Thanks for any guidance/recommendations you can give.
Pony Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Pony Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1050 Dominator BS Filter Needed

No replies? Just looking for some feedback from you guys running 3-circuit Dominators. Good, or not worth the trouble?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

I run one, no issues here. you should send it to Don Garbinski he works his magic on them for t-stop use.
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

I ran an 8896 carb for many years. As far as being lean while on stop, every combo is differant. Mine did Not like being lean. It almost seems to me that that was the hot ticket several years ago, but not seeing it as much anymore.
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Pony Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
I run one, no issues here. you should send it to Don Garbinski he works his magic on them for t-stop use.
Thanks for the tip. I Googled him but didn't come up with a business address. Would you PM me his contact info?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

pm sent. I found his card, his website address did not come up so I sent you his #
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 8896 does not have a great calibration, not what I like to see for any app. As far as 2 or 3 circuit, it really depends on the type and setup of the stop. Most will run well with a 2 circuit, one I built for a friend running Super Street has 3 Wally's in the last 2 years and has made 2 years with it to the Jegs All-Stars.

As far as what 2 circuit works well on, if the car has an inline stop the 2 circuit will work well. If it's a plate under carb stop with only the primaries open most of the time a 2 circuit is fine. Where it gets tricky is if the primary plates get closed too far, big engine or RPM too low, or the plate is set to a 1 to 1 linkage the plates will not be opened much. In those instances getting enough air past the boosters can be an issue, and the amount of fuel delivered by the idle and transition circuits are minimal. This can run the engine on the ragged lean edge, not to hurt anything as the load on the engine at that point is low, but enough to make the car possibly surge on the stop or stumble coming off. A SMALL amount of intermediate fuel may be helpful in those instances. For a disc stop, I would suspect that because the airflow is in the center the boosters should have sufficient airflow that a 2 circuit would work just fine.
jmarkaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
Pony Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkaudio View Post
The 8896 does not have a great calibration, not what I like to see for any app. As far as 2 or 3 circuit, it really depends on the type and setup of the stop. Most will run well with a 2 circuit, one I built for a friend running Super Street has 3 Wally's in the last 2 years and has made 2 years with it to the Jegs All-Stars.

As far as what 2 circuit works well on, if the car has an inline stop the 2 circuit will work well. If it's a plate under carb stop with only the primaries open most of the time a 2 circuit is fine. Where it gets tricky is if the primary plates get closed too far, big engine or RPM too low, or the plate is set to a 1 to 1 linkage the plates will not be opened much. In those instances getting enough air past the boosters can be an issue, and the amount of fuel delivered by the idle and transition circuits are minimal. This can run the engine on the ragged lean edge, not to hurt anything as the load on the engine at that point is low, but enough to make the car possibly surge on the stop or stumble coming off. A SMALL amount of intermediate fuel may be helpful in those instances. For a disc stop, I would suspect that because the airflow is in the center the boosters should have sufficient airflow that a 2 circuit would work just fine.
My plan is a #1 Stop electric under-carb stop with primary and secondary butterflies. My current setup on my smaller motor is a 950 Proform with power valves plugged and #84 jets all around. There is also a 4-butterfly #1 Stop under it and it comes off the stop perfectly. It appears, though, that my current combination wants more gas off the starting line, but doesn't need it down track. I'm hoping the intermediate circuit in the Dominator will solve that.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would make sure you get a stop that keeps only the primaries open on the stop. As far as more fuel at the start, there are other things you can do to help that out.

As far as what you bought, I would box it up as I don't like the calibrations in the 8896 at all. Ideally a custom 3 circuit is best, one using BLP's wide body metering blocks is what I would suggest. It's a little more initial expense for a custom carb but you will be much happier in the long run. There are several builders that use BLP parts, as well as having one built by BLP. If you are stuck on getting an out of the box model and a 3 circuit go with one of the Quick Fuel QFX 3 circuit carbs.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like their DA-6PK stop will be fine, the linkage is progressive and not 1 to 1.