HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Bayou Shoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Alky and no Vacuum Pump Question

Any of you all out there running Alky with out a Vacuum pump, if So I would like to know some of the things you all do to keep the oil looking good.

Bayou Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Greatbaer

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Shoe

I have found that if you get the oil good and hot that the methanol will evaporate out and the oil will look better however it's not easy to do unless you lean out the barrel valve and get the motor temp up above 200F after you done racing. I have read of racers using a small 110V wet vac on the valve cover breathers after a pass and I tried it once and it seemed to work but I never got in the practice of doing so after every pass. I finally put a vacumn pump on this year , I've only run it one week end so I can't say yet how well it works either. In the past I changed oil after three weekends (oil's cheap)
Hope thie helps.
Greatbaer S/C 3391

Greatbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
dak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alc. starts to evaporate out of oil at 172 deg... We have run the car at 160, gets to 170-175 after the run. Oil is muddy... Run the car at 170, gets to 180-185 after the run.. Oil is cleaner.. Run the car at 180, gets to 190-195 after the run and the oil is great..but that involves driving the car back to the pits letting the oil and water good and warm.. I have found this works on our carb program and the injected program ...and there is no vac pump.. I have thought about running an electric pump out of a camaro or corvette
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 AM   #4
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Those oem electric vac pumps will die an early death. Tried one on my dyno - made it three months. Only had 3, 4 inches of draw. Better than O.
Next time - mechanical.

"The future isn't what it used to be."
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
dak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you do anything to the pump. I have an article that goes thru what you have to do when you put one into service. If you are interested I can send you the article. PM me and I'll send you a PDF copy or Fax it ...Dean

dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ran a 10.90 car for years with alky carb. and header evac's only. Always ran Kendall green until it went away, bought several cases when it was sold, sold car before I ran out!
At the end of race day, used lean out to get motor over 180. Cut if off, and pulled breather/evac's out of valve covers. Worked great. Clean oil, never a problem. I changed oil every 50 passes or so, just to check engine, but never had milky oil.
Good luck.
Ken

Doing it the poor boy way - with a bowtie! Double 00's and dead on... now a PONTIAC is on the way!
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote