HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #31
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,489 Times in 1,705 Posts
Default Re: hello, I'm new

The 72 Pontiacs were rated differently with a new net rating system. NHra just brought those engines up to where they were more in line with the 71's. The head and intake casting numbers were the only difference, spec -wise.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 AM   #32
J/SA Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So this particular motor doesn't call for the 7M5 heads or the #485912 intake? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to figure out what all I need to get!
J/SA Grand Prix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #33
Don Himes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: hello, I'm new

Jake, you've got to get yourself aquainted with a rule book and nhra.com. The Lucas Oil page in particular. On the right side of the Lucas page you'll see the word "competition". That will draw down to a list of links. Look for "stock car classifications" and "engine blueprint specs". The blueprint specs call the motor, we're talking about, a 250 h.p. 455 cube engine. The classification sheet says at the top 250 h.p., 455 cube and at the bottom of the column it'll read 315. That is what NHRA has factored the 250 horse motor to. Do you have it now. It just seems more complicated than it really is or over the last 40 years I'm just used to it......
Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #34
J/SA Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right on, the classification on NHRA didn't have the factored h.p on the bottom as the lucas oil page did, or I just over looked it. Thanks for all your help, Don. If you know of anyone with the 72' motor and which cam they used in it, please let me know. I believe we are going with a 30 inch tire and maybe 4.56 or 4.88 gears and when I call dynamic, through the faithful words of Don, they will give me the right combonation! I will also call Danny Ashley for a 71' HO carb. I hope we hit the right combonation and I wish you all good luck this up coming season. Lets keep these pontiacs going! I hope you all do as well as Tibor Kadar did this season!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #35
Don Himes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jake, the 4.56 gears worked fine on my old K/SA wagon at 4395 pounds. That makes your combo at 4108 pounds needing a 4.33 gear with the 4.56's being the most you'll need. Remember what everyone has told you, it's a "torque" motor, not a "RPM" motor. Your going to go thru the traps at about 6000, not 6500 or 6800, or 7000. I'm going to get in touch with my buddy Todd. He just finished his motor and it ran very well. Maybe he can come up with something I've forgotten......at my advanced age, I forget a lot of stuff..........Oh, by the way, I have an old phone # for Danny Ashley. If you need it, let me know...................later......
Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #36
J/SA Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

great thanks alot Don. I would like the phone number for Danny Ashley if the one posted is no longer available. I really appreciate all your help. And Don, an old saying goes, you're only as old as you think you are. lol
Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #37
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts

Q-Jet Performance
765-674-5102
3:30-7:30 EST M-F
I will be glad to help you not just with a Q-Jet, but also with your combination as my last two Stockers were Pontiacs. Danny
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #38
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts

Hey, Jake

You need to take five and stop jumping around all over the place.. I would suggust you call your NHRA tech guy for your Division ? or call Wesly @ 318-396-1358, tell him what you are trying to do, 71 or 72 and he will set you up... Just in-case you don't know who he is, he writes most of the spec changes for NHRA..This way you will know EXACTLY what part numbers you need !!! He is the MAN...........Good Luck, have all your questions ready ahead of time, so you know what to ask..... Danny Ashley, is great on carbs and will put you right in the ball game.. He also has run Pontiacs for many years..... You have to be careful in reading the rule book, it will tell you the following parts # came with those years. Then you find out that it was only on firebirds or GP.. I am building a 1973 firebird with a 400ci and we had problems finding the right heads, so be smart and talk to Wesly he will be able to set you up....
Dave...1033/stock (Pontiac)
Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #39
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Smile Re: hello, I'm new

Jake,

You need to back -up and take five.......... instead of jumping around asking about cams and gears, etc...You need to talk to NHRA tech guy for your Div. , have all your questions written down ahead of time and go down your list.. That way you will have your answers right from NHRA and you can then get all the correct part numbers you need... If you can't get a tech guy, call this guy Wesly @ 319-396-1358, I am sure he can help you..He writes and updates all of the spec's...He is the MAN.. Don, is right on with the gears.... Also,Danny Ashley is the best on Q-jets and knows Pontiacs and will work with you to get it right... As, Jeff said earlier
you won't be shifting a stock Pontiac over 6,000 RPMs for long before it comes apart...You should know they make all their HP down low with torque, not RPMs.. As long as you shift them low, they will live and go fast when you increase the RPMs they slow down and break..
So, start listening to this guys, they know what they are talking....... Dave...1033/stock(Pontiac)

Last edited by Dave Ribeiro; 11-21-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Dave Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:16 AM   #40
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Cool Re: hello, I'm new

Sorry, for the double post....?????