HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
flash

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default beadlocks or not?

super gas car open cockpit,light and fast-9.90 @ 167.00 whats the opinion of the supergas racers out there whether you need them or not. what are the benefit to run them,does it help the transition coming of the throttle stop on marginal track surfaces? I am running 16" wheels now with hoosier tires.it appears everything out there works,but about 50% of the cars out there now are running them. just thought it would be a good subject to people that have done it bought ways! beadlocks or not?
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
MikeSawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: beadlocks or not?

I sent my 16" wheels back to Weld a couple winters ago to have them converted to beadlocks after just running regular wheels over the first 6 years I had the car.

The biggest difference I've noticed is how much more stable the car is on a loose track. It doesn't cure the spin coming off the stop on a really bad track, but it does seem to help the car recover quicker by stiffening up the sidewall so you can get it back in the groove as quick as possible.

I definitely lost a little speed by adding the extra weight on, but it was worth it. If you have Weld Wheels, I'd give them a call and have them convert yours. I think it cost me $1100 which was much better than the $2800+ it would've cost for new wheels. And they came back polished and looking like a brand new wheel.

-Mike
MikeSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
HolcombS/G155G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just started running beadlocks on my car earlier this yr. I have aluminum sbc powered car only running 150.I prob dont need them but I was able to get these @ a good deal so thats why I got them. Like Mike said they are more stable and the clamping force helps keep the side walls from wearing out quickly. I do not have near as much side wrinkle as I used to have and there easy to take on/off. If your looking to do a conversion, mine were done by champion beadlocks, there the wavelock style ring. I have a 4 link Quay dragster that will prob run high 170's on the stop and was planning on sending those wheels to Champion to convert. I believe a 16x16 double conversion thru them is 460 a wheel, hope this helps
HolcombS/G155G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
flash

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The next question is if champion does the beadlock conversion on my weldwheels,does this affect your ability to claim money from weld if you win or runner up because somebody else has modiflyed their wheels?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
HolcombS/G155G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
The next question is if champion does the beadlock conversion on my weldwheels,does this affect your ability to claim money from weld if you win or runner up because somebody else has modiflyed their wheels?
That I am unsure of. I never really thought about it. You may want to check into it
Old 08-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
flash

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Just to answer my own question,I called weld today-they said as long as they were weld wheels,and the stickers where on your car,they pay whether they did the beadlock conversion "which they do on there own wheels" or somebody else does it.both charge about the same price to do it they pay.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
HolcombS/G155G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Just to answer my own question,I called weld today-they said as long as they were weld wheels,and the stickers where on your car,they pay whether they did the beadlock conversion "which they do on there own wheels" or somebody else does it.both charge about the same price to do it they pay.
Thats good to know. My wheels still had the small weld stickers on the wheels plus the sfi tag so it's all good
Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know my car hit the tree harder with beadocks.
My .02
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
sst7250

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

I have a quiestion as we have been considering going to a beadlock. What kind of MPH did you guys loose making the switch? Just curious how much it was lost adding the weight to the wheel. Mine is just a lowly S/ST car but think they look cool Besides my old screw holes are getting a little worn out.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
HolcombS/G155G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post
I have a quiestion as we have been considering going to a beadlock. What kind of MPH did you guys loose making the switch? Just curious how much it was lost adding the weight to the wheel. Mine is just a lowly S/ST car but think they look cool Besides my old screw holes are getting a little worn out.
I never .90 raced my Camaro w/ my old wheels so I couldnt tell you. I'd imagine my car would mph maybe 2 mph faster