HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Chevy 4.3 V/6 education needed

I need to talk with someone in ref to 4.3 Chevy V/6 This is a unique build up for me, if it were a SBC I would have no questions.

And I realize this is not a Class Racer drag race question, however, I expect we have some racers on this board with 4.3 V/6 knowledge.

This build up was inspired by the Youtube video "Radio Flyer Car" I will be using an S-10 chassis and drivetrain. Because space will be tight the V/6 package is ideal.

Questions;

*Which 4.3 block will accept a conventional /HEI style distributor?
*I see post about 1996 - 1999? using a "Vortec" head. Will that head bolt onto any 4.3 block?
*For simplicity and nostalgia I will use a carb and HEI ignition
*I am OK with a flat tapped or roller, depending on what parts I can find easily.

*Because the builder/driver is an OLD hotrodder I will want a slight lope at idle

*I will use a T-5 five speed because the owner/driver/builder wants a manual shift

NOTE: This is not a race of high performance build, just fun, simple, something to ride children in at parades, car shows, benefits, fundraisers, church events, etc.

Basically, I need to be up-to-speed in ref to interchangeably with the 4.3 combinations.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Chevy 4.3 V/6 education needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
I need to talk with someone in ref to 4.3 Chevy V/6 This is a unique build up for me, if it were a SBC I would have no questions.

And I realize this is not a Class Racer drag race question, however, I expect we have some racers on this board with 4.3 V/6 knowledge.

This build up was inspired by the Youtube video "Radio Flyer Car" I will be using an S-10 chassis and drivetrain. Because space will be tight the V/6 package is ideal.

Questions;

*I see post about 1996 - 1999? using a "Vortec" head. Will that head bolt onto any 4.3 block?
*I am OK with a flat tapped or roller, depending on what parts I can find easily.

*Because the builder/driver is an OLD hotrodder I will want a slight lope at idle

*I will use a T-5 five speed because the owner/driver/builder wants a manual shift

NOTE: This is not a race of high performance build, just fun, simple, something to ride children in at parades, car shows, benefits, fundraisers, church events, etc.

Basically, I need to be up-to-speed in ref to interchangeably with the 4.3 combinations.

as long as it's a even fire 6 cyl (4.3 only, the 200/229's will not work)

they'll bolt up BUT if you are using a counter balanced 4.3, you may have an issue with the intake hitting the counter balance shaft

go with the roller,more money but MOST of the 4.3's already have roller cams in 'em already
Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Use hydraulic roller camshaft. Use the Vortec head and eliminate the balance shaft. Look for early 4.3 distributor, or use aftermarket. Start lining up your intake now. Unsure of how availability is currently. I just sold one last week and the buyer thought he hit jackpot by finding one.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
Use hydraulic roller camshaft. Use the Vortec head and eliminate the balance shaft. Look for early 4.3 distributor, or use aftermarket. Start lining up your intake now. Unsure of how availability is currently. I just sold one last week and the buyer thought he hit jackpot by finding one.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/m...take-manifolds
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Only tip I can think of is if removing balance shaft,block oil hole to bearing.
Intake tip,alot of boats w/ 4.3 have intake for 2bbl. rochester,or quadrajet, you may be able to pick some of that stuff up @ marine shop,here in KY we see alot of frozen boat engines,that you can get about anything except a block.
A non computer HEI maybe hard to come up with,can use computer version w/ ign. box like msd etc,just will have no mech. adv. if budget allowed could use digital and program timing curve
Mike Taylor3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

The engine responds real well to aftermarket parts.
Like Mike said, do away with the balance shaft.
I helped a friend do some mods on his engine some years ago.

He retrofitted the engine with a pair of late model Vortec heads with clean up port work, rocker studs, stiffer springs and steel retainers. Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam, timing set and rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, 600 CFM Holley carb and a Performance Distributors Non-computer HEI. It really woke up the engine.

Here are links to some good articles he used:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...d/viewall.html

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0...6_performance/
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Chipper Chapman

Liked 141 Times in 63 Posts

Use 88-91 tbi engine block, OE Roller cam, no balance shaft to mess with. Edelbrock has intakes, as well as the mentioned marine ones are all over ebay. Also there is a few guys on ebay selling complete new hei ditributors for 42.95
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
david christy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for heads i would stay with the stockers just the basics 3 angle,if you really want to get aggressive have them fitted with 2.02 but that all depends on what cam you run. The bottom ends being 2 bolt mains were a weak point on spinning it up or anything with boost. I have converted mine to 4 and keep boost at 22-25 with the stock cast cranks with no problems now.
david christy is offline   Reply With Quote