HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Default SLP camaro Legal?

Pull up slpcamaro.com to see the specs on the camaro with 575 HP blower motor now available... Any word on being Legal in S and SS. What a nice piece to race Mustangs . Maybe NHRA will factor at 400hp. The real interesting one is a 454 version at 426 HP.. I would like to hear about the parts compared to the 71 motor.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SLP camaro Legal?

Great question I have to beleive that once NHRA bought the Shelby deal that it opened the door for Roush Salene and SLP the questionable part is do they have to uild 50 of the models 400hp, most would say they do but as you know there a bunch of cars & combo's thtat weren't. 400 hp 1-4V hemi the 2 4v Shelbys. I guess it owuld boil down to how much you were able to Tip the sanctionong body!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
Pull up slpcamaro.com to see the specs on the camaro with 575 HP blower motor now available... Any word on being Legal in S and SS. What a nice piece to race Mustangs . Maybe NHRA will factor at 400hp. The real interesting one is a 454 version at 426 HP.. I would like to hear about the parts compared to the 71 motor.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Evan Smith

Liked 94 Times in 4 Posts

Saleen Mustangs have been legal to run in Stock and Super Stock since the '80s, this is nothing new. Shelby Mustangs have been around even longer. Saleens, like the Shelby Mustangs and Roush Mustangs, are available as new cars sold at Ford dealers. These cars meet all current EPA and government standards for emissions, crash, etc. The question is whether or not the SLP cars are available in the same form. If the SLP packages are post-title modifications that owners make once the car is sold and delivered, then that is where the dirference lies, and they would not be eligible for Stock Eliminator.

To clear up any further confusion: Saleen, Shelby and Roush are listed as the manufacturer of the vehicle once it has been modified by them. Of course they are Mustangs, built by ford, but these companies have each spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on certifying for the bevy of government standards and for warranty. This is what seperates the men from the boys in the aftermarket "tuning" arena. There are dozens and dozens of companies modifying Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers, but only a few sell packages that meet the stiff standards listed above.

Note: The 2007-current Shelby GT500 is actually built 100% by Ford, Shelby Automobiels in Vegas does not touch these cars. The Shelby GT (naturally aspirated, blower optional) is modified by Shelby, but sold at Ford dealers as new vehicles. All Shelby Super Snakes are modified into this form post-title.

Evan
Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Note from SEMA. Accesory of the year: Carbon Fiber Hood Fenders and doors for new Camaro.. YESSSS! it can be lighter.. I still like the 454 version too. Get SLP to add these to accesory list and its golden...
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Jim Bailey

Liked 571 Times in 107 Posts
Cool Re: SLP camaro Legal?

It's about time for NHRA to step up and create classes for "supercharged" cars. AA/SSA or AA/SS, or AS/SA or A/SS (I like that one). This would allow the HP factors for the non- normally asperated cars to be figured out over the next couple years, without contaminating the current classes. I'm all in favor of factory involvement and technology, but come on, give me a break...SUPERCHARGED ? ... "Maybe they should run injected Nitro cars against Blown Nitro Cars in Top Fuel and F/C". JB
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
bigshow2966

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts
Question Re: SLP camaro Legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Smith View Post

Note: The 2007-current Shelby GT500 is actually built 100% by Ford, Shelby Automobiels in Vegas does not touch these cars. The Shelby GT (naturally aspirated, blower optional) is modified by Shelby, but sold at Ford dealers as new vehicles. All Shelby Super Snakes are modified into this form post-title.

Evan
Are you sure about the GT500's? I was in Vegas in March of 2007 and there were at least 300 Mustangs at Shelby's place getting converted to GT500's. Pre-ops were lined up one side of the driving school and post-ops were sitting in the far end parking lot at the Strip.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Evan Smith

Liked 94 Times in 4 Posts

Big Show, are you sure they were GT500s, they might have been Shelby GTs, but not 500s. I am 100% certain that the Shelby GT500 is built 100% in Detroit, actually outside of Detroit at AAI, just south of the big D. I've been to the AAI plant an have seen the cars being built.

The GT500 is Ford engineered, with a Shelby name, however, Shelby Automobiles in Vegas does build Mustangs into Shelby GTs (which use the 4.6L engine, not the 5.4 and can be supercharged or not) at it's Vegas facility. These are new cars, prepared by Shelby and sold at Ford dealers. In addition, the big daddy is the Shelby GT500 Super Snake, which are post-title (already sold) owner cars that get converted from stock Shelby GT500s to GT500 Super Snakes with either 625 hp or 750 hp (optional). I tested one car a year ago and ran 10s at 134 mph.

A Super Snake gets an upgraded blower and exhaust, clutch, gears, wheels and a new hood. Also, interior trim work and a different body stripe. This work is done by Shelby in Vegas, or at Tasca Ford in RI. Shelby also does a turbo Mustang, and a few V6 models. That's why you will generally see stock Mustangs, V6 cars and GT500s at the facility.

Evan

Last edited by Evan Smith; 11-22-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Evan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
JEFF ESSMANN

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

as long as nhra is making all the performance companys legal lets put the lingenfelter trans-am in there to http://www.planetlsx.com/vehicles/Li...Am_Concept/118 it will fit in just like the slps and shelbys

WEB SITE WITH MY RACECAR
JEFF ESSMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
JEFF ESSMANN

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

dont know why the web adderess didnt take here it is agin if it dont work just copy and paste it http://www.planetlsx.com/vehicles/Li...Am_Concept/118

WEB SITE WITH MY RACECAR
JEFF ESSMANN is offline   Reply With Quote