HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Johnny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Division 1's Random Pairing Policy

I just read the "New" Random Pairing Policy from the Division 1 website. I thought this "New" policy was always in place, but I guess we needed the clarification.

Here is my suggestion. Have the "Super" classes qualify. Have a first round ladder. Reward the .900 guy/gal with a potential buy. This would eliminate the "mysterious" first round bye. I'm not sure 2 tracks reward the 1st round bye for the same reason anywhere in Div. 1. This would also make time shots/qualifications a lot more interesting. "Super" class racers could play the ladder game just like the Stock/Super Stock racers.

This would also allow for more potential sponsorship. Think of it this way. A potential sponsor who doesn't have the $1000 or greater to sponsor an event, could get their foot in the door by rewarding the 3 Super Class #1 Qualifiers with a $100 certificate. This benefits the racer, the sponsor and the NHRA.

A ladder could also save time. Here's an example. No more lost quarters, dimes, nickel's or penny's rolling under cars or under fences...the higher qualified car gets lane choice.

You could develop a year long points fund for most consistant qualifiers that may attract a Weather Station/ ET prediction type sponsor to give away product at the end of the year.

It would also make DRAW lots more money, racers would pay their $1 to see where they stood and who they may potentially have prior to 1st round.

The possiblilites are endless and it doesn't take much effort.

I can hear it now, someone will say it will take too long to pair for first round....NOPE. You call the left side of the ladder....than you call the right. If you snooze you loose.

Just some food for thought from a dumb cop. Let the jokes begin.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
kmrt1055

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering why everyone was chasing me to the lanes at Island.
They were "Duck Hunting"....

Good job Bob Kolpack...LOL

I really never found pulling into the lanes that hard, pick a lane and get in it.

kmrt1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

Random pairing in D1 is anything but. . Last year I raced the same racer 1st round at three consecutive races,and we weren't chasing each other. .... That prompted me to ask Dave Mohn why we could'nt pair cars the way they do it in D3. ... D3 allows you to pick left or right lane , but they fill 6 or 8 lanes up with the Official at the back of the lanes directing you to one or the other. ... A truely random pairing is made at the head of the lanes by pulling right and left lane's as determined by a draw. ..., I was told that this wasn't practical in D1. There is a definite need for change in the pairing methods, either the method D3 uses , or a true qualifying ladder. ... Maby Len can give us some input on why we can't have a better system. .... Tom

Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
kmrt1055

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the way we do things is fine. I raced the same person several time second or third round last year, should I ask them to change the ladder?

Dont people think that Bob & Dave have other things to do other than look at who is hunting a duck or someone getting paired up with the same person for first round. Maybe you should wait a minute or 2 longer or go up earlier. And who is to say that when the person pulling the bingo chips and cards in the front of the lanes isnt going to "randomly" pull you to run the same person you are complaining about.

Debbie Moses

kmrt1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

I have to disagree. the way we are paired has been broke for a long time. .... Years ago they used to mix the lanes up ... We do it the way we do now , because it's the easy way for the managment. .... Tom

Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sounds like a IHRA race to me! Johnny

Bryan
s/g & s/p 120
s/st & s/c 1219
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
dak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have not read Div 1 random pairing procedure but in Div 6 they have a pretty simple set up for 1st round of the 90 iclasses.. as you drive up to the lanes someone at the top of staging asigns you a lane 1-4 5 or 6 and it is all random 1st car gets lane 1 2nd, lane 2 and so one.. then at the head of staging..1 of the NHRA guys has 1 to 6 playing cards (again depends on how many lanes) and the racers are asked to pick a card and then another racer picks another card and these 2 lanes race each other.. the next 2 lanes are chosen the same way with the first lane chosen racing any car left over from the first pairing.. the "mysterious" bye is easier same cards are used...mix them up and chose a card that lane gats the bye ...mix the cards up again and the card chosen becomes the car that gets the possible bye.

Is it perfect maybe maybe not, but you do not get the buddy program where your lane is run until you get to the front and then another lane is run until wow look at than you have to race the guy chasing you for the division..I am not saying that has ever happened but I am sure some people out there have thought it has

dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Super Comp KID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The idea behind this policy is a result of what happened at the Maple Grove National Open a few short weeks ago. A Super Comp racer pulled into the waterbox and was patiently waiting for his first round opponent. Unfortunately, his opponent was unable to get his car started. At that point, the guy in the waterbox should have had a "bye run" and the guy who could not get his car to fire should have been out. However, the official called on the next car in line to pull out and race the guy in the waterbox. After getting his car to start, the other competitor (whose car wouldn't start) was then permitted to run the next guy in line. If you followed all that, you would see that a racer got Screwed out of a bye run and another racer was permitted to run after messing up the pairings. There are many times when I pull into the lanes for first round and dont like who I'm paired up with. But the bottom line is I don't pull out of line in order to avoid racing a "hitter". However, there are people out there who will do just that to get a duck and better their chances of making it to the next round. I am in favor of this new policy and I think it will help stop a certain Super Comp Racer/Transmission builder and his wife from playing games in the Staging lanes.

Super Comp KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
JKenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes at IHRA, they have an official at the front and he does the pairings all by himself. That sucks too.

Lets say you go to a race in Milan.
Lets then say you and your father (lets call this team Jason and Alan Kenny) have 2 super gassers.

Now we are in the middle of 2nd round. Jason is the next car in the left lane, Alan is the 5th car in the right lane. This IHRA official "randomly" pairs up the 1st and 2nd car in the right lane, followed by the 3rd and 4th car in the right lane, then "randomly" pairs up Jason and Alan.

Don't ever let the officials "randomly" pick the pairs, that won't make people any happier.

See you all at Atco.
JKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
G E T Racin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Johnny, our time trials should be qualifying runs and the first round would be laddered. No more so called random pairings. Also, no matter when an opponent breaks, cant start, or has to go feed the cat you would get a single.

The only problem is the time it would take to pair us up. The sun will be coming up and they'll be calling sst to the lanes. lol

Gary Traeger
s/st 1797