HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
NewHemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Is the Hybrid really the solution?

• Two out of three hybrid owners don’t buy another, according to a new report from automotive industry research firm Polk.

Despite persistently high gasoline prices, only 35 percent of hybrid owners who purchased a new car in 2011 stuck with the segment, a figure that drops below 25 percent when owners of the market leading Toyota Prius are factored out of the equation. Even in traditionally “green” cities like Los Angeles and Seattle, the loyalty rate remained the same.
Although sales of hybrids have spiked in early 2012, the gas-electric vehicles made up only 2.4 percent of the new car market last year, down from a record high of 2.9 percent in 2008.
According to the Polk study, customers interested in hybrids diligently cross-shop them against conventionally-powered vehicles, which have seen great improvements in fuel economy in recent years. A survey from TrueCar.com released last week points out that, even a more than a decade after the first hybrid cars went on sale in the United States, it can take many years to recoup the high upfront costs in fuel savings.
However, automakers can take some solace in the fact that shoppers surveyed by Polk by and large stayed loyal to the brand of their hybrid, even if they switched to a different type of vehicle. Toyota, for instance, retained 60 percent of its hybrid customer base, while more than half of Honda hybrid owners purchased another Honda.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/04/09/survey-says-most-hybrid-car-owners-dont-buy-another/#ixzz1rc1IjIWJ

Maybe not.... If two out of three who buy one, don't buy another..

Guess it is a case of "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

David
The New Hemi Guy
NewHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts
Default Re: Is the Hybrid really the solution?

Works for me......I think the solution (other than a political comment) is to drive less and drink more. (at home)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
NewHemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now you are talking...

I had hoped that this post qualifed as either social, economic, or auto trend reporting..

Don't make it political.... please. You dont know how hard it is to avoid posting political comments..........But I am trying....

David
The New Hemi Guy
NewHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

I would love to see a complete carbon footprint study on exactly how much energy is expended to scratch build a hybrid vs. a conventional car, how great the difference is and if it ever can be recovered. I doubt that the Greenies ever consider this.
And OBTW, those giant windmills and solar panels too!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Isnt there an issue of the cost to recharge an electric car? Seemed that even though you didnt buy gas the electric costs were worse than the gas price per miles.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Up here in the great white north you need to heat the interior and defrost the windsheild 6 months of the year. This takes a lot of electricity. ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

What ever happened to Hydrogen cars? Water as only bi-product and fueling stations needed. Probably will be developed by an engineering college as a student project. Anyone driving a Chevy Suburban with the Hybrid motor?
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I worked for Toyota many years. The hybrids have been pretty darn good overall. We had a shortage of 12 voltbatteries for a time in 95. Had 7 or 8 Priuses waiting for one for too long.
The smell inside of a new one when we prepped them was like plastic poison. Lasted quite a while too. They the first gens all had a distinctive smell, but so many cars do.
We sure made a lot of garbage preppingthem with all the parts wrapped in cardboard and plastic wraps.
Ford and Nissan bought the technology for their hybrids.
Toyota bought into Subaru which is why it still exists for its battery technology.
Toyota is an impressive car brand and likes to be the best.
Hybrid camrys and highlanders followed and they were excellent too. Get a hybrid highlander rear electric diff, it makes 37hp.Thats a lot for an electric motor.
The problem is no good maintenance to earn money from. Techs starve.
I left in 08, but I know they are still better then most.
I've been told trucks will follow for hybrids.
I was also told Honda was working on diesels a while back. Still have not seen one.

Last edited by chris ok; 04-10-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: more info.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

It would seem that more auto makers are jumping on the hybrid market:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_news.shtml

BMW is working on a 7 Series that is hydrogen powered and a number of Hollywood celebs have been given them to test drive.

With regards to the hybrids, I have to go along with my non-gearhead oldest daughter who bought a Prius two years ago and is extremely happy. She did have a battery problem but the customer service made it seamless and she was back on the road in a couple of days.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 833 Times in 290 Posts

I don't know the reason why people are left with a bad taste for Hybrids, I've myself never owned one, but if they are slugs...it would be understandable...I tried to go the " great gas mileage " way recently. I did not buy a hybrid, but settled for a 4 cylinder shoved in a new Malibu (2009). Bought it new...nice car...I hated that power-plant. Every time you went up a little grade...it downshifted. Constantly flaring the motor. Yea it got GREAT gas mileage....got 36 mpg on our first trip out west.Fact is ..it just wasn't enough motor for that car. ..So in 2010 I got rid of it and bought a V-6. Same car( one year newer) ...different motor. I think it has 255 HP. I can not explain to you in print how different that engine makes this car...There is NO comparison. It is night and day. I really like this thing....Guess what..Lost 8 miles per gallon . you know what? I would not go back ...The loss of gas mileage is WORTH having something you like to drive....I wonder if this survey is not something along these lines.?

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 04-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote