HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #41
John Warehime

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

I don't have any problems with Crate Engines, as long as, the NHRA has the specs. for Tech. to enforce. The advantage is being able to buy new castings instead of going to swap meets, and junk yards. Most Stock Eliminator stuff is more than 25 years old. It would give racers more options, without changing bodies.
John Warehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #42
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
I don't know why we're allowed 10.5" tires. I've always run 9" M/T's myself.

That's a rather confusing statement... who's buying a new small block '69 Camaro from the dealer? They're not. You're using pieces with the proper part numbers available on your NHRA engine spec sheet that the factories have already produced and sold. Crate Motors still match the original spec sheets (except for the addition of the R/T heads, which NHRA has also allowed in SS)... unlike the magical "superseded" parts some "traditional" stockers have... I'm sorry, but my crate motor car is a lot more "stock" than some "real" Stockers out there!

I don't know about the "crate motors are cheap" argument. Parts are easier to find, but otherwise, they're built to spec just like traditional Stockers. And the statement about "take a crate motor and put it in a bracket car and go racing" makes about as much sense as "take a Stocker motor and put it in a bracket car and go racing." Obviously, some people are 1) unfamiliar with today's bracket cars or 2) don't understand the incredibly simple concept of Crate Motor Stock.

That being said, NO, I don't think NHRA needs to add Crate Motors. (or Stock GT for that matter) It's kind of a silly argument, from either side, actually. If your Stocker doesn't have any superseded parts, a questionable origin, wheelie bars, a fuel cell, $5,000 cylinder heads, aluminum trans, a tiny battery, an "empty" battery, an alternator that doesn't work, and/or an electric water pump, then feel free to look down on Crate Motor cars.

Personally, I appreciate all cars.
Have to agree with the above. Sorry but people chastise crate motors and then, I hear it costs $10,000 to build a competitive NHRA motor? Obviously you are dragging a cast off block and crank out from under your buddys bench, a set of heads from the junk yard, a set of pistions and rings from the local Carquest and throwing them together, right! Didn't think so.

What is the difference in running these cars? They have specifications. They can be teched, same as any class car. If I get torn down, I'm illegal, I get bounced, huh, same as anyone else.

As for the bracket race thing, let's see, you have a car that runs under the index and you put shoe polish on the window. And that is different from a bracket car in what way? I just don't see the strong argument here. Your $30,000 69 Camaro stocker is no better than the $500 Ford Festiva two lanes over, you're both dialing your car.

IF, this is all a bunch of "hooey" and NHRA doesn't adopt the class, that's fine. Personally, I'd love to have the chance to race at the Division 3 points meets. Tod Lane and I are building our second car to run IHRA crate motor, if it's strictly S/SS combos and IHRA races, I can live with that.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #43
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i still don't see the big deael with NHRA and crate motor stock.......i am very satisfied with running IHRA for many many years to come
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #44
Chipper Chapman

Liked 141 Times in 63 Posts

So if crate motors aren't pure enough, how is sleeving a 454 block to 396 size pure? Or buyin edelbrock (or should i say 401 gm) heads pure? and so on and so forth. I run a bracket car currently but in the process of building a CM car, by doing this all we are doing is alleviating the hard to find rare and expensive old parts, or the new and expensive replacments. Just went to the local salvage and got a 350 vortec for $350 from a 1/2 ton truck, sure it didn't come over the counter, but most of the 396's and 427's out there have! Engine still has to be built to spec and costs $$$ but at least the price isn't double. Crate motor is just a way of bringin new racers into stock, if you don't like that idea, well i give you my regards.

Chris Chapman
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #45
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach
Red face Re: Crate Motor Class

Hello People,
We already have crate motor classes in NHRA, they are called super street, super gas and super comp ....
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #46
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ken, is that one of billy plages cars, my car is the black 95 mustang m/cm car i live in Randleman...sorry it took so long to get back to you..
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #47
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1) Nothing Cheap about a Crate Motor Stocker. I owned 3 of them I know.

2) You can say what you want but a SS/GT car ain't a real Super Stocker either so whats the difference.

3) As long as Shoe Polish is involved it's all a bracket race and the casual fan could care less whether there is a 302 carb crate motor or a 302 efi traditional stocker.

4) Brandon it has nothing to do with why they (NHRA racers) hate crate motors they just hate IHRA in general. NHRA racers have that " My crap don't stink" attitude and we IHRA racers will always be the "REDHEADED STEPCHILDREN" to them.

Chip Johnson
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #48
Bobby Lundholm

Liked 84 Times in 33 Posts

NHRA doesn't like IHRA but they sure like trying to take classes from them.
Pro Mod, Top Sportsman, Top Dragster.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #49
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts
Talking Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
NHRA racers have that " My crap don't stink" attitude and we IHRA racers will always be the "REDHEADED STEPCHILDREN" to them.

Chip Johnson
What about racers that run both?
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #50
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Cool Re: Crate Motor Class

The first think NHRA would do is slap 30-40 HP on all crate motors....Oh, everyone forget how under- factored they are... I don't have a problem with crates but less get real on the HP....Then we would see how they like HP & what it costs......................................... I think we should leave well enough alone.......
If you like to run both build a stock, otherwise keep running the crate motors..
I still think crates are the biggest reason more NHRA cars don't attend IHRA, just look at Q- sheet... Until IHRA factors those motor correctly everything stay the same.. Its all about choices........ .Good Luck in 2009