HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Pro Sportsman Racers

I'm trying to figure out if I'm a "Professional Sportsman Racer" because I tow a lot of miles and have won a bunch of championships and big money races, or if I'm the low-buck kid trying to 'make it' someday and be able to play with the big boys. I'm also not sure where these $15,000 national event paydays are.

That being said, the new magazine needs controversial stories to gain attention and build a reader base.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Does anyone have an idea/opinion on what, or how much exactly, constitutes a "professional sportsman racer"? They run x-amount of races per year? Travel x-amount of miles per race x-amount of times a year?

2003, I was gone seventeen (17) weekends that year, at NHRA/IHRA races, two of my S/SS combo races and Indy. Not counting local bracket racing on a Wednesday night or weekend. Eight of those were over three hundred miles one-way. And could have gone to more races had I chosen to. Does that fall into a ''traveling pro-sporsman racer''?

Last edited by Mike Carr; 10-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
Rose Racing

Liked 141 Times in 55 Posts

Heres my take on this issue from a lower buck guy who is hoping to one day get a chance to run Stock or Super Stock. I want to race these 2 classes not only because it looks fun to race in those classes in true Class Competition but because I want to race and hopefully win against some of the best Class and Bracket style racers in the country! I want a chance to prove I can beat the big dogs such as The Fletchers,The Biondos,The Cummings/Moser Boys,Bertozzi,The Marshalls,Michael Beard etc that I have watched for years and would love to have a chance to beat em and prove that I am worthy to hold a Wally or Ironman and be the best in Stock Doorslammer racing on that particalar day and to me thats what Drag Racing is all about beating the best and if you dont want to beat the best Weds night racing or friday night test and tune is for you not NATIONAL EVENT RACING! Thank you
Rose Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

It is real simple.. The "Ric Flair" rule.... "To be the best you have to beat the best!" That is how it is. I believe that the article was written to spark more interest in the magazine with comments on other sites like this. I do like reading some of his other articles. Race On!
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

My hat is off to anyone that puts forth the effort and dedication to do this stuff. Even more so to someone that calls his own shots with regard to his whole program (not just a paid driver, or somebody with a rich daddy). Racers earn their experience, and if they are progressive, just lucky, or whatever, when they WIN...then good for them. You can't complain about a guy that kicks your but bracket racing, anymore than you can with a top engine builder beating you in class. When a person has dedicated themselves to nothing but an "A" game, you are going to need to develop your own.

The average racer looks at these special racers that (so call) race for a living, and think I wish I was lucky enough to do that. I see them and I think, that racer is out doing it, and it's so natural for them...it's like going to the bathroom...no problem right! But then I think about, if you don't win or runner-up...you can't even cover the fuel bill. What happens to the house payment....how about the food, and all the other bills...what about little Susies and little Billys college .....WHAT ABOUT MY RETIREMENT CHECK...when I can't do it anymore!.....What happens to my 15K payday when I lost by .002 in the semi final...What happens when NHRA says.....we don't need you anymore! Now what! I can't imagine doing what I did for a living...(firefighter now retired) and knowing I might not get a paycheck for a thousandth of a second! Think about...they deserve to win....they certainly take the most chances

My hat is off to you, because you've got a hell of a set hanging!

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Rose Racing

Liked 141 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
Does anyone have an idea/opinion on what, or how much exactly, constitutes a "professional sportsman racer"? They run x-amount of races per year? Travel x-amount of miles per race x-amount of times a year?

2003, I was gone seventeen (17) weekends that year, at NHRA/IHRA races, two of my S/SS combo races and Indy. Not counting local bracket racing on a Wednesday night or weekend. Eight of those were over three hundred miles one-way. And could have gone to more races had I chosen to. Does that fall into a ''traveling pro-sporsman racer''?
Honestly I think its whatever your opinion of a Pro Sportsman racer is and my opinion of a Pro Sportsman racer is a very dedicated and a racer with a very organized racing effort no matter how small or big meaning if you have a very organized rig and a neat and extremely clean car or just a very well thought out racing operation(MOST Class Racers) A few examples I know off and have either known or watched for years are the Marshall Dodge Material clan(Great multi car effort with clean and very sorted out race cars and a TON of years of experience and that team kinda reminds me of the Rod Shop Pro STock team of the 70s) Todd Mathias with the Buckeye Shaker Camaro(Very good friend)(A one car effort with a very sorted out and well working race car and a guy with alot of knowledge of racing and I cant even begin to tell you about John and Mary with How much they knew and Mary still know and my last example of Pro Sportsman in my opinion another single car effort of Joe BUZZINHALFDOZEN Buchanon (Another good friend) as we all know how clean and well sorted out his car is and how organized his operation is and a very good engine builder. I think thats why these classes run at NHRA and IHRA National Events because they are technically Proffesionals running Sportsman classes at a National Level.

Last edited by Rose Racing; 10-16-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Rose Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,246 Times in 1,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
The very nature of having so many professional racers in the sportsman ranks makes it that much more difficult for hobby racers to compete in classes that are inteded for them. Thats just an unfortunate fact.

Kevin, with all due respect, how many so called pro sportsman racers do you think are out there. There are close 4000 sportsman racers competing on a national level this year. What would you say is the percentage of so called pro sportsman. I would say is less then a 1/2 percent, and I am being generous. How could anyone possible think that such few could be hurting our sport. And even if it was half of the racers competing, does it really matter? Everyone that races can hit there local track to stay sharp, they don't have to travel to be good.

They are racers just like all of us, there good at what they do, and it makes us better drivers. Hurt our sport, on the contrary, it brings it to the highest level possible.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
ChevyII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am curious to see what Fletch has to say about this one?

Dan, give us your spin on this one as I am always intrigued by your responses.

Mike
ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

I've been racing since the early 1970's. Back then you may have been able to make a case where anyone racing more often had a "much" greater chance of winning. Back then we didn't get RT's and interval times on our time slips. Most of what you learned was by "seat of the pants" feel. Now with index racing (no breakouts), most racers can cut a good light and run their index. No one one out $$$ you. You just have to pay attention to details, weather, track etc. That's what makes us better racers and makes it a fair place to race. We all remember about having to re-race to local racer (several times) until he wins. Most of those days are behind us.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
chevy620
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys I didn't just throw out a "problem" without solutions or at least some ideas for solutions.
The follow-up article will outline several ideas of ways that will offer Divisional racers a much more level playing field chance to actually have a chance at a national Championship without travelling all over the Country or having to have two or three cars to increase your chances of a payday.
The primary idea of this article is not to tear down people but to figure out and look for better ideas on increasing participation in NHRA and IHRA Sportsman categories.
The ideas I have are not new, at least I hope they aren't, but they have been run over by stacker trailers full of Sportsman cars so one driver can run three classes at a race. I know there is no rule against it because NHRA/IHRA needs every entry fee they can get. But does that make it the right way to approach it?

I do feel I am being pulled in two directions on this but the reasoning behind Editorials is to make people think and step back and see if an idea out of the ordinary might be a new way to approach things.

The new issue of ETDragRacing comes out the 22nd, the different ideas I have and those of others will be shared at that time.

Until then, you know how it works and if you are happy about the current program what I have to say about doesn't matter. I have participated in this sport at levels most of you cannot; as track owner, manager and having raced in every category but S/Stock I am not "blowing smoke" or "whining". I am concerned it is headed the wrong way; some agree and some don't... that is how Freedom works, we all have and get to express our opinion.

I think some of you will like the ideas I have about a true National Championship plan.

Thanks and good luck to you guys who are still racing this year,

Jok
chevy620 is offline   Reply With Quote