HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #31
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

My trailer is a leaf spring and shackle system and I also thought that would balance the load however, I believe balancing the load is the key.
I will watch it again on the next trip and report back to everyone.
Bill, thanks for the concern for the son. He is doing better every day.
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #32
63corvette

Update to the trailer bearings. All new Made in USA bearings.
We made the pull to Las Vegas about 1,000 miles.
I took temps at each stop and when we arrived in Vegas.
The ambient temps ranged from the 30's to the 80's.
One thing I noticed is the one bearing I had been having problems with (front road side) was 6 to 8 degrees hotter on both the bearing and tire.
This being the case I believe the load inside the trailer may have been the key to the bearing issue.
I did rebalance the load after the last bearing failure, which I believe has helped.
I probably still have to much weight to that side as my rather large tool box and generator are both on that side and to the front of the trailer.
After we return home I plan to take more weight off that side and from the front.
I carry to much stuff and a lot more than I actually need.
Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions. I really had not thought of the balance of the load as I thought the triple axle would balance it out. That is what I get for thinking.
Thanks again and any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
Old 04-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #33
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Rick, I think that the 6-8 degrees is more than tolerable for towing. What were the actual temps of the bearings? Like you I carry more stuff than I need. That's why I like having the TPMS for my trailer tires. You can watch the tire and ambient temps around each wheel to see how things are changing. Safe travels and good luck in Vegas.
Dan
Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #34
63corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
Rick, I think that the 6-8 degrees is more than tolerable for towing. What were the actual temps of the bearings? Like you I carry more stuff than I need. That's why I like having the TPMS for my trailer tires. You can watch the tire and ambient temps around each wheel to see how things are changing. Safe travels and good luck in Vegas.
Dan
Thanks, this is our first race since Topeka the end of July 2017.
The bearing temps ranged from a low of 60 degrees F with a ambient of 34 degrees to a high of 118 degrees F with a ambient of 83 degrees when we made it into Las Vegas.
The tires on the front axle were both at 129 degrees F and on the rear axle they were 120 and 119 when we made it into the traffic nightmare they call Vegas, so I think I may still be a little nose/hitch heavy in the front. The stacker has a attic up front and I have it full. I plan on doing a little house cleaning when we get home and take some of that weight out of the very front.
Thanks for all the input.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX