HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Foxbody Stocker/Bracket Racer

Just curious as to why you would need a 9" over the 8.8? Also to the OP dont scrap the 10 holes i would be interested in them if you want to sell them fairly cheap.
BLIND MULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
west coast

Liked 103 Times in 45 Posts

Only in a stick car you need a 9in. Stick will brake axle housing and other parts, Autos are alot kinder on rear ends they dont smack the tires as hard.
west coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just curious because we have been 4.70s in the eigth with high 1 teen 60fts. Was just curious.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIND MULE View Post
I was just curious because we have been 4.70s in the eigth with high 1 teen 60fts. Was just curious.
Not a Stock or S/S car with a stick, is it? Yeah, I`ve seen several 9 to high 8 second "power adder" type Mustangs work with a 8.8, BUT those cars normally launch fairly lightly, with low boost, retarded timing, etc, and then once its rolling get to full power. Hardly the same thing as dropping the clutch at 6000+ RPM. Plus with the high speeds those boosted cars run, they normally run much less rear gear ratio than a Stocker. With no Pro gears available for a 8.8, I`ve broke 2 sets of 5.13 "street gears" in my 85 Mustang stickshift Stocker, running mid-low 12s. Don`t forget the low ratio gears a Stocker typically runs have much fewer teeth on the pinion, and shorter teeth on the ring gear, than say a 3.7-4.10 ratio, and are obviously more prone to impact breakage. Then factor in the weak axle tubes, and poorer ratio selection, compared to a 9", and I certainly would prefer a 9" over the 8.8, at least with the stick.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Jeff Swanson

Liked 62 Times in 21 Posts

Scott, I've been out of the Stocker game for awhile but I'd take the HO @ 215hp over the '93 Cobra @ 252. Take a look at the '88 Saleen: HO combo, it can make I/SA @ 2750#, and you can run an auto. Some added expense for the body kit. I haven't surfed every year of the 87-93 LX Hatch cars, but I think the Saleen is the only one that will make I/SA right now. Double check me, if you find one (12.99 factor or lower) there would be no reason to do the Saleen other than to be different. If you don't care about running the faster class then stick with what you've got.

I never broke an 8.8 in my '93 Cobra Stocker. If you were buying everything from scratch I'd go the 9" route. You've already got an 8.8, beef it up as your budget allows. It'll last forever.
Jeff Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIND MULE View Post
Just curious as to why you would need a 9" over the 8.8? Also to the OP dont scrap the 10 holes i would be interested in them if you want to sell them fairly cheap.
Nope, gonna hang on to these. I've actually got two sets of 10-holes. Some day I'm going to sand and polish up the second set to see if I could make them nice and shiny.
SwillRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys! Jeff, now that is an interesting idea about the Saleen. I/SA huh? I wouldn't have to run that ugly whale tale rear wing would I? I'll have to check the rule book I guess. I've always hated that wing.

While I figure out what my goal will be for this car I was wondering what the stick shifted guys are running for clutches, flywheels, and transmissions? I really think running a stick would be make things more exciting, but ultimately wouldn't be as consistent. While I know a lot about the c4 and AOD trannies out there, I don't know a lot about the stick combos you guys use. So what are you stick guys running?
SwillRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwillRacer View Post

While I figure out what my goal will be for this car I was wondering what the stick shifted guys are running for clutches, flywheels, and transmissions? I really think running a stick would be make things more exciting, but ultimately wouldn't be as consistent. While I know a lot about the c4 and AOD trannies out there, I don't know a lot about the stick combos you guys use. So what are you stick guys running?
Jerico DR4 transmission with a 10" McLeod Soft Lok clutch in my 85 Mustang, same model trans and clutch in my 427/428FE powered Fairmont bracket car, but with a 10 1/2" disc.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
Jeff Swanson

Liked 62 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwillRacer View Post
I wouldn't have to run that ugly whale tale rear wing would I?
Yeah, it's a package deal.
Jeff Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Not a Stock or S/S car with a stick, is it? Yeah, I`ve seen several 9 to high 8 second "power adder" type Mustangs work with a 8.8, BUT those cars normally launch fairly lightly, with low boost, retarded timing, etc, and then once its rolling get to full power. Hardly the same thing as dropping the clutch at 6000+ RPM. Plus with the high speeds those boosted cars run, they normally run much less rear gear ratio than a Stocker. With no Pro gears available for a 8.8, I`ve broke 2 sets of 5.13 "street gears" in my 85 Mustang stickshift Stocker, running mid-low 12s. Don`t forget the low ratio gears a Stocker typically runs have much fewer teeth on the pinion, and shorter teeth on the ring gear, than say a 3.7-4.10 ratio, and are obviously more prone to impact breakage. Then factor in the weak axle tubes, and poorer ratio selection, compared to a 9", and I certainly would prefer a 9" over the 8.8, at least with the stick.
This car would probably run 7.20s but I get what you are saying, basically it shocks everything more.. The way we build the braces for the housing, i'm not saying you couldn't break a tube but I'd have to see you break or bend one. Thanks for the info