HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default big bell or small bellhousing C4?

well guys i've got the motor for Marissa's car now... next question is big or small bellhousing C4 ? i've got an 85 302 roller motor out of a GT & was wondering what one would be best to go with? I'm putting the engine in the 92LX body she bought. this is the last pice to the puzzle as i have everything now but a trans & converter. thanks for the help guys!

novamoation
Old 04-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Earle Holt

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Greg,

I'm pretty sure you need to use the big bellhousing. The AOD's that come in those cars use the big flexplate.

Earle

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

You can use the small bellhousing and several manufacturers make the proper flywheel, B&M , Ford Motersport and others . the large bell hits quite a few brands of headers.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Go with the small bellhousing and change the flexplate accordingly.

SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
partsbob67

Liked 37 Times in 10 Posts

use the small bellhousing with a 157 tooth, 50oz flexplate. convertor bolt pattern won't work with a large bellhousing, large flexplate.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

thanks guys ! the motor had an AOD behind it so it has this... spacer thing? it also has a flexplate bolted to it .....but i don't know what it is? (I"m a chevy guy....or that's what i know the most about anyway) I'm going to buy a new trans & converter so i can buy what ever flexplate i need. this is one of those deals where i want to buy the right stuff ONCE & do it right the frist time.

novamoation
Old 04-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
FE Rory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the smaller bellhousing, simply because it gives some extra room around the trans tunnel. Be aware however, that the smaller bellhousing has a smaller convertor bolt pattern, and also the steel plate between the bellhousing and block are specific to the bellhousing used. This plate is required, as it locates the starter motor. I think that Ford switched to the larger bellhousing around 1978 or so, and the 50 oz flexplate imbalance around 1980 or 81. So if you want to use the smaller bellhousing, you will also need the appropriate block plate, as well as a flexplate with the 50 Oz imbalance, and small bolt pattern convertor. To muddy the waters even more, there is a really small bellhousing/flexplate combination, that was only used in the V8 powered Mustang 11`s.

FE Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
LouisJeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We run the 164 tooth bellhousing. This uses the stock AOD flexplate and engine seperator plate. A FOX body mustang has NO clearance issues with the big bellhousing because it is the same dimensions as the AOD.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Earle Holt

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

The C-4 I used to use was a 1979 with the big bellhousing. I also used the 164 tooth flexplate. Like others have said, the small bellhousing is easier to work with in regard to header clearance, but if you use a big bell, make sure you get long tube headers for a stick car. They are made to clear bigger bellhousings liike Lakewood's, etc.

Earle

Old 04-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks guys! Earle thanks for the stick shift header trick. like i said the engine had an AOD bolted to it...they left the flexplate on the engine so i have that...thing is it has no weights on it ..is this right? also if i have the right flexplate & shim thing.. all i need is to buy a big bell trans & converter? I'm sure i'm going to have more "Ford" questions. oh one more thing (i'm thinking way ahead here ) what one would handle a trans brake better? or would it make a differance?

novamoation